HIC Build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Farlowmag, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Hello everyone. This is my first attempt at building a prop, or anything this size. I am not very good at building anything outside of miniatures. The power tools I am using are owned by wife and were given to her by my father over the last 15 years as gifts. I am used to pick things up and put them down.

I will post some photos soon, but right now I have the box built, frame around it and the front board in. I have some questions for those that have done this before:
    1) The boards that Volvo panels attach to, are they screwed on or glued to cover the openings?
    2) I glued and screwed my front panel. Do I need to seal the seam around it? Will the Elmer’s glue I used for carbonite leak under the frame?
    3) Has anyone used the MONCAL end inserts? If so, how did you mount them.
    4) I have seen people use bondo and others use wood filler. Either work? or is one heavliy recommended over the other one?
    5) Is it recommended to fill the back of the Han Solo with expandable foam?

Thanks for the help.

Gerrit

2. wh1plash

wh1plash Member

I would highly recommend going Bondo across the board, in place of wood filler and glue. It dries nice and hard, and is easy to sand smooth.

3. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

4. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i always enjoy these! i so want to do this one day, cant wait to see your progress!

5. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Thanks for the link. My moncal buckets do not slide in from the outside. The holes are too small. I may expand them or see about mounting them from the inside. Something I need to stare at for a little bit. I got more done over the last few days. The sides are done and I added some supports inside. Does get heavy as you add items.
    IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG

I put Han on it just to see what it looked like. Need to go buy some bondo so I can start filling some holes.
    IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2519.JPG

7. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did you make your own box? It was it part of a kit?

Keep the updates coming.

8. wh1plash

wh1plash Member

It's a kit from zenix, he sells them in the classifieds section.

9. Halliwax

Have you decided on how you are going to replicate the surface? I've seen guys use carpenters glue. Is that what your thinking?

10. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Yes. The box is from Zenix.

I was thinking of the Elmers glue. I am still researching a non-toxic filler for the screw holes and seams. I think Bondo does make one for wood.

11. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Spent the day getting the end boxes to fit. I will glue them down and spray foam around them before I paint the box.
    IMG_2591.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG

12. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the buckets are mounted from the inside.

13. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

No going back now if they are. I expanded the holes and mounted them from the outside. I plan on sanding them down a little and then bondo over them.

14. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm pretty sure on the original MC build that the contour of the holes were routed down by about 1/8" and then the plugs were fitted from the outside like you did .. then bondoed seemless and foamed from the inside to strengthen them! ;)

Westies14 likes this.
  15. Halliwax

First I've seen of the "buckets" does someone make those or are the off the shelf parts?

16. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

I bought those buckets from Moncal about a year ago. I if I recall, they took a while to be delivered, but I was slowly buying all the parts. I am currently gluing them in now.

17. Halliwax

Did you get the right answer do they belong on the inside or out?

18. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

19. Halliwax

that is a awesome thread, thanks for sharing. do you know what they mean when they said "acrylic wash" are they just watering down acrylics or is there a actual acrylic wash?

20. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Not sure about the wash. I need to research that myself.

I have the end buckets glued in and some spray foam around it for stability.
    IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG

21. Halliwax

i use that foam allot at work, i really like it. as for the wash i googled the term and nothing really came up, i think what people mean by that is brushing the paint on and with a wet drag slowly removing the paint on the flat surfaces and leaving the nook and cranny's still filled with the paint

i really need to catch up on my weather skills, i fear thats where i lack the most in this hobby.

i really want to tackle this project once my other big projects are done. is there anything you would do different so far if you were to do it over?

22. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Good question. If I was to start over. I have limited skills when it comes to building things. I wish I had knowledge of using a router. I would have made the bucket holes nicer and recessed the edges into the wood. I also would have made the interior supports line up a little better. Technically I should have driven the hour and kidnapped my father for a weekend or find a way to go back in time and actually pay attention to him when he was building stuff.

23. Halliwax

thanks for sharing, have you made anymore progress?

24. division 6

division 6 Master Member

A wash is usually done with a watered down paint, brushed on and let to settle on the recessed areas to create settled grime and enhance shadows.
    Works well for rust also.
    Scale modelers are the ones to look to on the subject.

The paint on then wipe off works also.
    In the figure kit community they use a glazing medium with paint that is painted on and wiped off.
    Works well for making detail like reptile scales pop.

25. Halliwax

thank you very much for explaining, i was very curious if its a actually technique or just a saying. I'm going to google in further research now, thanks!

26. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Finally had a chance to take the build outside and sand it. I applied another coat of filler and it looks to be a nice weekend so I am hoping to get sanding and maybe primer down on it. I am hoping the winter stays the way it is so I can get the painting done.

27. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Warm spring day. Finally got the build outside from its winter nap. I was able to apply the 4 coasts of primer early in the morning and then one base coat in the afternoon.
    20160424_151610.jpg

20160424_151622.jpg

20160424_152933.jpg

28. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Finally got time to work on this again. Made some progress. For some reason the last picture only imports upside down.
    IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

Attached Files:

Dminor likes this.
  29. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Finally found time to paint Han and Carbonite. Next step is a black wash to bring out some details.
    HIC2.jpg

HIC3.jpg

HIC34.jpg

Dminor likes this.
  30. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Han Solo in Carbonite is now completed. My wife is going to print me up the vinyl decals for the side panels and I will put them on at a later date. HIC is connected to the base by steel brackets and as a backup two ratcheting tie downs. I will be moving it into the house on Sunday.
    IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

Attached Files:

hammer3232, QCWolf, yaris and 2 others like this.
  31. crnaherd

crnaherd New Member

Farlowmag can you please describe in detail the wash technique with type and brand of paint you used? Also what color spray paint and what brand you used for Han?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  32. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

Sure Can: I found a HIC build where I liked the colors and took the following from it:
    1) Han = 7277830 Metallic Matte Nickel
    2) Block Primer = 249418 Black Sandable Automotive Primer (4 coats, hand sanded between each coat with 1000 grit paper)
    3) Panel Primer = 249088 Flat Grey Primer
    4) Block = 7519 Stainless Steel (also applied 4 coats, hand sanded between each coat with 1000 grit paper)
    5) Han = 7277830 Metallic Matte Nickel
    6) Volvo Panels = 7715 Aluminum
    7) Back of Block = 7776 Flat Black
    8) Shiny Metal Greeblies = 7718 Chrome
    9) Small dented greebs (nipples) = 7715 Aluminum (If you look closely at the small parts between the turn signal arrows on the dash boards, you will notice that they not all dark grey.)
    10) Wider greebs (nipples) = 7519 Stainless Steel
    11) U Clips = 7519 Stainless Steel
    12) Rings = 7718 Chrome

For the wash I found that in another build. He had used a few colors but I only used black paint. I used black acrylic paint you can buy in AC Moore. I then mixed it with 5 Parts paint, 3 parts water and 1 part dish soap. I added a little more water if it appeared to be to thick when I experimented with it. I then painted the wash over a 1 foot by 1 foot area and then let it dry for 10 minutes. I then lightly wiped it off with a paper towel. If it dried to much I kept a cup of clean water near by to did the paper towel in to remove more paint if need be. Just make sure not to over soak the towel or you remove all the paint. I then clear coated Han and carbonite afterwards.

Here are some of the links I referenced:
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=169984&page=3
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87807&page=2
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87807&page=2
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87807
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=263477 (this is the one I pulled the wash from)

33. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Great build.
    You must be very pleased with how it's turned out.:thumbsup

Now sorry to thread jack, but can someone help me out?
    Im having a tuff time finding any blueprints or demensions for the "box".
    Can anyone point me in the right directions?
    I know most people buy the kit, but coming from a family of wood and metal workers, I'd rather build it from scratch.
    Thanks.
    Robert

34. Brownie69

Brownie69 New Member

35. Brownie69

Brownie69 New Member

36. Jumpergal

Jumpergal Member

How did you end up mounting the panels? On the photo it looks like there are two metal discs...

37. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

The side panels are mounted using magnets. I recessed earth magnets and glued them in with JB Weld. I then JB Welded magnets on the inside of the panels. This way if I ever move HIC I can remove the panels easily.

38. Bigturc

Having removable panels is a must!! I already had to remove mine twice on my HIC! Can't imagine what would have happened if they were fixed on there!!

:thumbsup

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  39. Nasedo

Nasedo Jr Member

That's good to know, I'm close to attaching the panels and was going to glue them. Not anymore!

40. Bigturc

Check my build thread. I put magnets on the panels and metal washers on the box. The holds really well! I could have gone all magnets but just didn't have any and wasn't worth ordering more!

41. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Anyone willing to share the dimensions of the boxes on the top and bottom of box?
    Robert

42. Kopper

Kopper New Member

Great job!
    I am still collecting bits for my build.
    I need help for the following items:
    Does anyone have and can share copies of HIC cad files for cnc. I am in Australia so makes sence to have it made locally.
    A link to where I can purchase the end buckets
    A link to where I can purchase the decals
    Cheers in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  43. mencodave

mencodave New Member

Did you purchase a light kit for the control panel or did you assemble one yourself, i am currently in the middle of building my HIC and and not sure what direction to go for the lights.
    any info would be helpful.

Thanks

44. Farlowmag

Farlowmag New Member

I purchased the light kits. Saved me a ton of time.

45. tfett40

tfett40 New Member

Great job on it! Looks fantastic