Help me chose an Airbrush set (first timer)

Danhorse

Guys,

Im working on some projects, resins kits, scuplts paintings etc, and want to go into airbrushing. Can you tell me what you think of this set? any good? if not what is a good set up for a newb to airbrushing (but not to art). I know i want a gravity feed dual action, but more than that i dont know!

If you can suggest an airbrush and compressor for not toooooo much money i would be grateful!

Airbrush set

Also:

Paasche Talon

Cheers

Dan

You know - getting a 'starter' airbrush is ok - just get cheap and moderately effective. You'll find whatever you can afford will likely suit your need one way or another. You'll adapt quickly to any quirks of any brush.

However - you'll probably wind up with several airbrushes in no time if you like it - so just be aware. LOL I've got 3 Paasche - some are junk, but they can attage great big canisters for large jobs - while the fine stuff i break out the Iwata Micron brush.

My personal 2 cents - I'n no fan of the fixed sized cups on top. I find I like to swap out my cups especially for different sizes - I usually keep it small and the cups don't get in my way (visually) when i'm working - plus its lighter to be able to put tiny cups on it. Of course if i need more paint and don't want to stop a lot to refill - I use the big boys clapped on there. I often switch compatable cups too - My Iwata freqently gets Aztec cups slapped on it because they are lightweight plastic - that easily disssemble for esy cleaning.

When it comes to compressors - just make sure its cheap and has a good moisture trap on it - and get a moisture trap 'inline' on your air hose

Best of luck

Cathat

Thanks mate, your point about getting one that can take different caps is valuable.

Just need to nail down to one to start with, something that will do the job but not costs the earth......

i have 6 different types of airbrushes a Paasche vl, a bager ,a vega 2000 a sanborn gravity feed,, a nail art gravity feed a single action basic brush and a cheap one from harbor freight...i like the gravity feed ones myself but eveyones different if your looking for cheap look at harbor freight the have a duel action brush for $15 http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html and the have a kit for $80 with the compresser http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi...t-95630.html..i have one of the harbor freight brushes and its ok and it would be a ok starter brush if you r not looking to spen alot of $$$$$......but in the end its your $$$$ dont but something youll regret later.

Thanks guys,

Im wondering what nozzle size to get. If i do fine detail work on resin statues for instance, im guessing a 0.2 nozzle?

Thanks guys,

Im wondering what nozzle size to get. If i do fine detail work on resin statues for instance, im guessing a 0.2 nozzle?

well heres the deal, even though im new to the pred world, ive been working with airbrushes for awhile. the bigest thing is to find your own comfort space, airbrushes can be cheap or REALLLY expensive. i personally own all IAWATA equipment, numerous airbrushes and compressor... my opinion is to start small, buy a cheap airbrush, get used to it. the flow how it works cleaning etc etc. and while your getting used to it save some cash and go buy yourself a good product that will last.

any other question just ask

i personally use a badger. I like it since it is a top or bottom feed. I think if you atleast get one that can do both feeds you will do well. Its nice to be able to switch back and forth.

Thanks guys, i have narrowed down to a cheap side feed brush to start, with the way i draw etc a gravity feed would get in the way and obscure my view im thinking.

i use a mac tools airbrush pretty nice for 30 bucks on craigslist. Retail online was 170. And i use my 2 gallon kobalt air compressor set at around 35 to 40 psi..i cant seem to find needles for the airbrush im due for a new one

How loud is the compressor? My main issue is I live in an apartment and REALLY want to start airbrushing, but I am afraid of having a loud compressor and pi--ing off the neighbors!

I have that one. It works pretty wel for laying down base colors and tones but, for fine line stuff it has a coupe flaws. The needle itself isnt quit fine enough for fineline detail and second it has a water problem. Condensation is an issue.
is it possible to switch out needles...maybe attach one more able to handle fine detail?
~Estelle

How loud is the compressor? My main issue is I live in an apartment and REALLY want to start airbrushing, but I am afraid of having a loud compressor and pi--ing off the neighbors!

I live also in an apartment, it is not loud,my PC is louder :D Of course it depends on brand,and machine,some louder,some not, there are some which is so quiet you dont know it is in power on or off.

I would buy a different gun... just saying.... you dont want to airbrush with crap your first time out?

I would buy a longer hose as well.

Needles if its a good gun you wont need more than one needle- I wata's are great guns. They are the cadillacs of airbrushes.

~Mel

I havent looked into it. I have an Iwata Eclipse for my fine line and detail stuff so, I have not need to look for needles for the HF airbrushes.
No worries, I know diddly about airburshes and figured changing needles was an option with them.
~Estelle

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back