Help making an NCR Ranger Combat Armor

GBRyker61

As the title implies I'm in the preliminary stages of making an NCR Ranger Combat Armor costume. However the final plan will be to make the Elite Riot Gear, one of the new armors included in the Fallout New Vegas DLC, Lonesome Road. I have a template for the armor. I'm planning to make the armor from EVA Anti-Fatigue foam mats, I just need help on three things:

1: How are the pieces conformed to fit over the torso?

2: What kind of backing is used to hold the armor pieces together?

3: Does anyone have a template of the collar piece(no pep files please, just a simple template)?

I know that a heat gun is needed to bend the foam for the desired shape. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Did you try looking at these threads?

http://www.therpf.com/f24/fallout-new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-finished-pg-8-a-101257/

http://www.therpf.com/f24/new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-build-118310/

I know you're going for the NV: LR Ranger, but those should at least get your started in the right direction.

After reading those threads, it looks like:

1. They heated the pieces and shaped them using their own bodies.

2. They made vests using foam and them trimming that.

3. They eyeballed it.

Good luck :)

Did you try looking at these threads?

http://www.therpf.com/f24/fallout-new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-finished-pg-8-a-101257/

http://www.therpf.com/f24/new-vegas-ncr-veteran-ranger-build-118310/

I know you're going for the NV: LR Ranger, but those should at least get your started in the right direction.

After reading those threads, it looks like:

1. They heated the pieces and shaped them using their own bodies.

2. They made vests using foam and them trimming that.

3. They eyeballed it.

Good luck :)

I've checked those threads, and they helped some. I actually have a solution for the collar piece. I may go with the foam idea for the vest part but not sure what foam would work. I've been told that some people use Sintra, but heating that up could be problematic. If I go with foam, I'd need foam that I can spray with Plasti-Dip, and then spray with spray paint.

I think it's just the regular mats in a pack and not a roll. I wouldn't use sintra because you won't be able to move at all. The foam has some give to it. Like those threads suggested, they used plasti-dip and spray painted over it, I used the same mat and painting technique as they did, and it works fine.

Whenever I've worked with Sintra, I've just thrown it into the oven until it was bendy and draped it over whatever form I was working with since I don't have a vac table yet. For simple shapes draping works fine. I do agree with Cal that making that armor out of Sintra would give you almost no torso movement at all, even if you made them all individual pieces attached to a vest Mandalorian style.

It sounds like I'll be going with foam for the armor backing, because it seems to be easier to work with. What kind of foam is it and where can I get it?

Based on what I've read on the other NCR Ranger builds, the backing and the armor plates are made from EVA foam. The interlocking floor mats available at most hardware stores tend to be used for the armor plates. They are about 1/2" thick, smooth on one side, textured on the other. It looks like an EVA foam roll (like a yoga mat) is used for the backing. I'm not entirely sure on that one. You could probably use the interlocking mats for the one too. Just glue a few together to make a sheet before you heat it up to form the shape of the backing.

Based on what I've read on the other NCR Ranger builds, the backing and the armor plates are made from EVA foam. The interlocking floor mats available at most hardware stores tend to be used for the armor plates. They are about 1/2" thick, smooth on one side, textured on the other. It looks like an EVA foam roll (like a yoga mat) is used for the backing. I'm not entirely sure on that one. You could probably use the interlocking mats for the one too. Just glue a few together to make a sheet before you heat it up to form the shape of the backing.

I already have the EVA foam mats for the armor pieces, I needed info on foam for the backing. Anyway thanks for said info. I think I'll go with the Yoga mat. Using another layer of EVA foam for the back would make it too thick.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back