Help. joining plastic card and Acrylicglas

modelman

Jr Member
Hi All.
I have a problem. I want to cover a 150mm dia plexiglas (Acrylicglas) tube in plastic card 0.5mm.
What is the best glues to use? I need this to be very perment as I will kitbash the surface with model kit parts
and I want to use normal model glue on this.

I live in Germany so I need a glue that I can get in Europe.

Thanks very much.

Ian.

Hm...Two Component Epoxy...tried it? I would not go for the "Sekunden Kleber" Epoxy but the stuff that needs like 24h to harden. Just be sure you fix the Styrene Card with "Klammern" then it should work fine. There is also a special UV hardening two component system for gluing Plexi to Plexi but I guess thats not what you are doing.

Sorry: Wrote this answer like 3h ago and did not hit reply :p...I guess the answer is in the above posts.

If you can find it in Germany I would used Weld-on #3 or #16 that comes in a tube like model glue.
You can actually mix them together to thin out the 16.

The aquarium maker I worked at used them on acrylic, ABS and I think even PETG.

When I was working with my saber cases I used clear epoxy an it worked fine. But do not use CA. Done that, never do it again!!

image.jpg

When I was working with my saber cases I used clear epoxy an it worked fine. But do not use CA. Done that, never do it again!!

View attachment 464606

CA is good for this guy, because he is coverting the acrylic tube with plastic and attaching greeblies to that. From what I've read, I don't think transparency is an issue. But perhaps modelman can chime in.

TazMan2000

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 464606

CA is good for this guy, because he is coverting the acrylic tube with plastic and attaching greeblies to that. From what I've read, I don't think transparency is an issue. But perhaps modelman can chime in.

TazMan2000

Hi All.

Sorry I’ve notthanked everyone for their help been working. I’ve been experimenting withdifferent glues and materials and I’ve come up with the best way for me.
I’m usingMEK (methyl ethyl ketone) It makes a chemical bond with both materials plexiand plastic card. Super glue works but leaves the plastic card very brittle.
It worksfor me and I thank everyone for their help.

Ian.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back