Help Identifying parts of a Return of the jedi A280C blaster

CoreyTheWolfTWC

I was doing some research on another blaster from star wars when I found a link to an auction of a prop weapon that was said to have been used in Return of the Jedi.
The original versions of the prop ive seen were made of an STG 44 german rifle, along with a scope and some greeblies here and there. But this version stood out to me as its
the only one ive seen that was not based on that rifle, and is instead based on what looks to be an m4/m16/ar15 type rifle. And I happen to have a old airsoft m4 laying around I dont do anything with that I would love to give a new life! So I thought this was a perfect project for it.

Here you can clearly see the gun's receiver and buffer tube still mostly intact, only missing a few parts that were not needed for the prop.
Not sure what the strange part wrapped around the buffer tube is and hope someone else can ID it for me. Also this is a great view to see
the parts that make up the scope of the rifle.
Lastly is the strange pipe thing sitting where the rear sight of the rifle would be. To me this looks to be a muzzle break off another rifle. Not sure though.
A280C 14.jpg
The top tube over the barrel looks to me to be PVC with an end cap, or similar, and thats probably how I will make this part,
The lower tube going over the barrel, and the front handguard apear to be made out of wood. My guess is the handguard is probably an old pump off a
shotgun, or a custom made part. As I dont own a lathe and the small grooves would be difficult to make ill probably look for an old shotgun pump unless
someone tells me this is a part off something else I might be able to find

Then there is that front sight, ive seen one like it before, Just got to do some research and see if I can find it. Otherwise I will 3D print a custom one.
A280C 13.jpg
Another thing to note is that is visible in both the above and below image is the extra part added in front of the magazine well. Looks to me to be maybe part of a guns magazine and some part i don't know about glued together.
A280C 12.jpg
Would love to think of some way I could replicate that skull that is on the side of the receiver here. Might 3d print it out and glue on, or just go without it.
Also you can see in this view the buffer tube stock plate has a small sling mount built in, aswell as the front barrel shroud pipe piece. (need better names for these parts)
A280C 11.jpg

Any help identifying these parts or any more information about this particular prop would be awesome. Would love to see it in the movie if anyone knows what scene it was used in, or if it was even used at all. The small amount of info I got from the auction website says it was an original, that was missing some parts that they replaced to bring it back to what it would have appeared as in the film. I would love to know what changes might have been made so I can make it more accurate to the film if possible.

All in all I think this will be a fun hopefully quick (probably not haha) project to make an awesome rifle unlike any ive seen before.

Someone IDed the BB gun the front is off of.
The tube on the top back is off a muzzle break off a M4 (or variant)
Single Point scope IIRC.

Use the search at the top of the page and you should find a listing of almost every part.

I used a gutted airsoft and made all the parts from scratch.

Everything is pretty much ID'd already. The only unknowns are what greeblies were on certain versions and where the "pump" grip is from.

A few parts come from the Sussex Armoury Jackal (or AR7):

pair_of_ar7s_shrunk.jpg

Kurtyboy posted these pictures showing what sections were used:

jackal2.jpgjackal1.jpgjackal4.jpg

And here they are in the film (unfortunately, we never get a good look at them):

Starwars-A295.jpg

Last edited:
c6ec0b4f8c9240f33598affeebfcd2e8.jpg
Was re watching the trailer of Rogue one and I saw this lil beauty come right up and recognized it instantly. Its clearly another representation of the same or similar rifle and adds to the million other reasons I want to see the new film. Might end up building one closer to this example or something in between if I can get better images. Welp time for me to sit here and try to screen cap some better shots of this in the like 2 seconds its on screen.
EDIT:
137ee7d41b3699c6cefdaef712785a79.jpg
In this image you can clearly see holes in the barrel shroud piece, as you can see dark shadows. This leads me to believe this is probably supposed to be a DLT 20 A prop more then an A280c Which I personally find interesting as I love both and would want to build both. And ive always thought of it to be a similar case to some of our real life rifles where you can change the upper receiver and instantly have a DMR or Sniper Rifle or switch back to a standard rifle as is the case with our real life m4 family of rifles.
So seeing that not only the A280C has a m4 based prop but what definitely looks to me to be the DLT 20a only makes me give off nerd squees of joy!.
its also interesting to see what parts are similar vs what are different, example being they used a similar style scope for the rifle, but opted out for the tube piece where the rear sight would go. Also instead of having a small tube stock with a think butt plate/ short wood stock (as seen on the DLT20) they went for what looks to me to be a standard m4/ ar 15 stock and just added some greeblies to it.

Small changes like this might make it easier to make my prop replica because it means i have to manufacture less parts. My airsoft gun base already has a stock like that (even the same color it looks like!)

All in all looks like i have alot more to consider now that I know this prop im building an obsession over looks like its gonna be on the big screen once again in the future.

And im sure it wont be long until im opening a new thread for the build log. Thanks to anyone who is read this far into what probably looks to most people to be nothing but a madman squeeing over something as rediculess as a short shot of a guy holding a rifle as he ducks for cover in a trailer of a movie that wont be out for months.

(one last note, am I the only one who thinks the guy holding the gun looks almost not starwarsy? looks more like someones artistic rendition of a modern soldier to me then one from a galaxy far far away, but maybe im just tired and need some sleep now. )

Attachments

• 22c9d79df5e76868c1db7698aa5962f8.png
    22c9d79df5e76868c1db7698aa5962f8.png
    941.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
So very interesting, Now that I know its on his gun aswell, I get to obsess over trying to find out what on earth it is so I can get one because now its important. Thanks a bunch, would have never even thought to have looked there, but that is a new lead for sure!

The "skull" on the left side of the receiver is the same part that is on the stock of Boba Fett's EE-3 blaster.

View attachment 613222

Necropost, I know, but I referenced this thread today elsewhere and thought I'd update it as it might be useful in the future.

The "skull" greeblie is from the Revell V8 engine model set that so many Star Wars greeblies came from, and is "#92 Cover, Starting Gear Case (1977 model kit or earlier only)."

v8_part92.gif

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back