HELP: How do I ENLARGE my Vader mask?

Imperial Weapon

A handful of years ago I bought a reject cast set of Vader gear dead cheap (dome, faceplate chest armour and bells) on eBay to fix it up everything seemed 1:1 scale except the faceplate.

Here it is in comparison with my 'New Image-Prop-Replicas' I bought a year before this.
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

I only need it enlarged by 10% I know that means making a copy so I may sell this but I can't find a dome this scale.
IMG_0919.JPG

As you can see by the 'hole' at the top its a DP DLX recast as these where meant for screws to keep the dome in place, I heard that the mask was slightly smaller than the screen used but this is like the ROTS scale faceplate so I highly doubt it was this small, if there is anyone who can give me recasting tips on how to get this enlarged by 10% please let me know I will be most grateful.

Cheers

Take some pics about 5-6 feet back of it next to the new image. Hard to tell if it’s really that much smaller. It being a recast does make sense it’s smaller as each time it’s recast it shrinks about 5-8% I believe. Also if you still have the dome take some pics of it with the dome on to get a better scale. The only real way to enlarge a fibreglass casting like that is to build it back up with filler

I recommend you shave your head. If that doesn't work, you may want to soak in water, then stick your head in the dryer. Don't leave you head in the dryer too long, or the mask will be too big.

Another way is to get someone with a high-rez 3D scanner to convert it into a STL then enlarge that to whatever size you want.

TazMan2000

A costly way is to get some silicone rubber and a lot of Xylol---Xylol or gasoline, your choice. Make a mold of the mask with the rubber and then give a it a soak in your chemical of choice and let it enlarge.

Be quick with this process though; cast your mask immediately in it with resin as the longer you leave it, the more the alcohol evaporates and the mold shrinks back to size.

A costly way is to get some silicone rubber and a lot of Xylol---Xylol or gasoline, your choice. Make a mold of the mask with the rubber and then give a it a soak in your chemical of choice and let it enlarge.

Be quick with this process though; cast your mask immediately in it with resin as the longer you leave it, the more the alcohol evaporates and the mold shrinks back to size.
Thank you for the suggestion but what about the fiberglass jacket though? wouldn't that have to be enlarged?

Take some pics about 5-6 feet back of it next to the new image. Hard to tell if it’s really that much smaller. It being a recast does make sense it’s smaller as each time it’s recast it shrinks about 5-8% I believe. Also if you still have the dome take some pics of it with the dome on to get a better scale. The only real way to enlarge a fibreglass casting like that is to build it back up with filler
The dome that came with it is a re casted supreme dome which is too thin and the front crumbled to pieces when I held the dome there and im redoing the caved in side of the dome so I had to use the new image one.

IMG_0920.JPG

As you can see I couldn't get it in the right position but there it is and also is this image below too tiny?

IMG_0921.JPG

Also I don't know if using filler would work I mean it would until I'd get to the eye and mouthparts here's an example of what I mean.

IMG_0922.JPG

Last edited:
Is there anywhere I can get a raw DP DLX faceplate recast from that remains the same scale, I don't have the money at the moment but by the time I've finished sold my 3 helmets i might consider getting one.

Is there anywhere I can get a raw DP DLX faceplate recast from that remains the same scale, I don't have the money at the moment but by the time I've finished sold my 3 helmets i might consider getting one.
This looks to be a recast of a recast in my opinion due to the size, it would be difficult to find one in the same scale. Those dp dlx kits aren’t floating around like they used to

This looks to be a recast of a recast in my opinion due to the size, it would be difficult to find one in the same scale. Those dp dlx kits aren’t floating around like they used to
I know its a shame really, well if there's no luck there do you or anyone else know if there's any DP CA's or DP CA recasts out there I know the details softer but I don't mind doing a bit of sharpening up, I saw a DP CA on eBay but it didn't ship to the UK so.

I know its a shame really, well if there's no luck there do you or anyone else know if there's any DP CA's or DP CA recasts out there I know the details softer but I don't mind doing a bit of sharpening up, I saw a DP CA on eBay but it didn't ship to the UK so.
it really is, I myself was looking for one a while bag to no avail, as for the CA'S i've seen a few of them pop up on ebay, i've only ever seen one of the recast CA'S on the market last year which sold quickly. just stay Vigilant on eBay and all those things they will pop up

Does anyone know if you can enlarge a gelatine and glycerine mixture it was from 1950's Popular Mechanics magazine as a cheap alternative to silicone and if not I may have to admit defeat on this one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back