HELP:: Co2 advice

SkullLeader1

i want to do a cosplay from a new anime out and while it wouldn't require co2 gas shooting out from the back of it...it would make it that much more legit. i've seen anthony le do exactly what i want with an iron man suit but i have no idea how he did it. i have no idea how to go about making a release mechanism for the gas to shoot out. any ideas?

I have no advice other than to exercise extreme caution.

Long years ago, David Letterman did a bit where he donned a suit made with Alka-Seltzer tablets and was lowered into a cylindrical tank of water.

On the actual show, Letterman wore a scuba regulator to breathe, because when the head writer did the gag in the dress rehearsal, he was quickly knocked unconscious by the sudden release of the carbon dioxide.

If the CO2 output of Alka-Seltzers can render you unconscious, there's no telling what a home-made outgassing device for cosplay might do.

Alex

How much are you needing? They make a pocket bike nitrous kit that's pretty much just a quick release valve with a hose on it. Like so,

Let me first say
***NOT AN EXPERT!!***
Ok so here is what you are going to need.
1: An air supply
You can buy prefilled co2 paintball tanks at hardware stores. Shop Blue Rhino 20 oz CO2 Tank at Lowes.com

2: An air regulator
This is probably the most important part! You need one you can attach to the co2 tank, and make sure it is adjustable so you can dial it down to work with your solenoid valve and wont break it. Many are sold for use with planted aquariums. Keep it turned down really low.
You want something like this
$T2eC16dHJGQFFh)I6,nTBRpzYIO)Pg~~60_57.JPG
Aquarium CO2 Simple Regulator Diffuser Adjuster Water Plant Fish Tank Moss CRS | eBay

3: A solenoid valve
This will be connected to the output valve on the regulator, and then to where you want the gas to go out. you will also need a battery and a switch to work the solenoid.
DC 12V 1/4 Inch Electric Solenoid Valve for Air Water / High Quality Replacement Brass Valve for Use with Pipelines in Water, Air and Diesel Applications - Amazon.com

All the plumbing stuff you will need to figure out on your own.
I hope this helped.

Actually looking into the same thing funny enough. There's plenty of spare room in the rear but I'm not sure enough for a 20oz tank and regulator. I'm confident that a tiny airsoft sized canister (12oz I believe) would be enough for a couple shots and are pretty cheap to replace.
However I'm not sure how to go about triggering it. I assume a small solenoid would be required but I don't know enough about CO2 to say for sure. For example I'm not sure how to puncture the canister, what size solenoid I would need, or how to power it. Any sort of guidance would be greatly appreciated!
(that being said if anyone has any ideas on how to achieve the same result in another way I'm definitely open to suggestions!)

how about using upside down air duster cans they have them at the £1/$1 store and shoot a nice cloud

I considered that too and I think the effect it produces would be perfect, however I don't think there's quite enough room in the compartment for that large of a can. I suppose I could potentially fit into another part of the prop, however running hose from each section and figuring out how to set it off is honestly more trouble than it's worth.
vlcsnap-2013-06-26-18h15m49s201.png
A quick snapshot of the piece in question. The almost triangle shaped thing in the center is where the "cloud" would come out but that entire center section is all I've really got to work with.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back