Dresden Files Staff help needed!

Pirogoeth

I have a Harry Dresden costume that I keep working on improving. I've managed to get runes carved into my staff and I've been trying to figure out how to make them pop more from the wood around them. Then I remembered that the runes tend to be a little charred because of the fire he channels through his staff. Any thoughts on how to make the runes look charred without using actual fire? I'd probably screw things up and burn it too much.

I have a Harry Dresden costume that I keep working on improving. I've managed to get runes carved into my staff and I've been trying to figure out how to make them pop more from the wood around them. Then I remembered that the runes tend to be a little charred because of the fire he channels through his staff. Any thoughts on how to make the runes look charred without using actual fire? I'd probably screw things up and burn it too much.
Try rubbing some black oil paint into them, and then wiping the excess away with a cotton rag and some Turpenoid.

Controlled charring works best with hot metal rather than fire, right? Wood burning kits are still a thing?

(Can my old man questions get old man-ier...)

Of course, if you could get the runes to glow...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back