Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

Getting there!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393490406.152338.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393490509.825058.jpg

Wow! I should say so.

Looking at the available photos of the original, it looks like the Madonna door hinges may be mortised into the door edge, but are likely screwed to the inside surface of the box lid side (if that makes any sense). I don't see signs of a mortise on the box lid. That would allow the door to open full as shown with the full thickness recessed into the cubby and then open without hitting the lid. Just a thought, and it would be in keeping with Adam's thought that the box was made of other used piece of wood - that hinge isn't seen, but the edge of the lid is, so hide it inside.

David

Thanks, David. I think it has to be that way. I just wanted a double check before cutting the mortises! The size and shape of the hinges would be nice to know, also!

Ahoudini...did I miss it?...are you making a small box for the larger bottom-center cubby hole?

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

Spent all day today at the huge Daytona Flea Market buying rosaries, pendants, cords, etc. Photos to follow. No luck on the bottles or the brass bowl. Trying a big antique mall tomorrow.

Beautiful box ahoudini (this has probably been asked but) are you going to weather it like the original?

Has Adams box now got a polished turd in it?

Wow! That is one beautiful box! I've been wondering about that "Madonna" door - do you think that there is a hook closure? Otherwise, it flaps open. One of the original pictures just gives the impression that there is one.

Again, just beautiful work!

David

Thanks for your kind words!

Yes, there has to be a catch and one of the photos shows a little pivoting brass hook over a little brass screw. I am hoping Adam will return with working links to his photo collection…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back