He might be recasting your items

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Great_Bizarro, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Check Here

This looks a bit like a major recasting effort, check to see if he has done it to you. Yes this is an active auction but it needs to be checked. If not a recaster then mods please remove this msg.

2. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

What's your proof that what he's selling was recast by him?

3. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

He is continually selling these casts... adding more to his list over time... but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has recast other people's items, does it? ... unless it has already been proven. Would like to know more, since he offers some pretty cool stuff.

4. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

He might be legit, that is why I posted it as stated, and hope he isn't a recaster, just seems he has a boat load of things that have been done by locals here and I would hate to see a large scale rip off. I have no proof and yes he has some nice items.

5. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

Well, I can't say anything about recasting, but if the accuracy of his other items is the same as the Biker Scout pistol he has for sale, he wouldn't get any of my money anyway. Not at all accurate :thumbsdown

6. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

YUP...recaster...He recast my 5th Element pistol.
    Dean

7. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just looking at the Auction Photos it's interesting, the Item Logos are VERY CLEAR yet the Photos of the Castings are VERY BLURRY. That's a bad sign to begin with...:lol

As far as if these are recasts I would take the word of one of the Buyers, here is a Quote:
    <div class='quotetop'></div>
    I'll look for a more reliable seller from the RPF myself if I want any of those items...

8. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Okay... that settles it. I'm not buying from him. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumbsup

9. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He is a well-known recaster. He recast Sloopyjohn's Mal pistol, Jmtwo'Jayne Pistol, tyragbphoto's River & Colt Serenity props, among others. Total scumbag.

10. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

The Logan's Run pistol looks like a recast of the Wilco Models one, maybe the 1999 stuff too.

Jim

11. Simba

Simba New Member

I saw the casts in person and they are not good at all. Looked like soap. Soft edged and bubbley.

12. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's probably why the Photos of the Castings are BLURRY.

<div class='quotetop'>(Simba @ Jul 19 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1283915[/snapback]</div>

13. batninja

batninja Well-Known Member

Unless there is more than one seller in Hummelstown, this is the same guy that had a booth at DragonCon last year. Although he had no business cards or handouts, he took my E-mail address and sent a PDF file of his catalog, as 'Arsenal Models'. Same pictures as what's listed in his eBay auctions, and the mailing address for orders is Hummelstown, PA.

14. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I was just about to ask if this weren't Arsenal... Saw his stuff at D*C and was impressed with the great selection... and the less than great quality.

15. Blad

Blad Sr Member

Surely that's RCRobert under a different name? Same boxes.

Coolmodels has a second eBay account under the name 'Pantherbuyer' which is apparently used to buy items to recast.

16. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Dymerski @ Jul 19 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]1283894[/snapback]</div>

HA. Not only is he a loser re-caster (or broker of re-casts) but he's a LIAR too.

From his auction (bold added):
    "gun carried by Bruce Willis as Korben Dallas in the classic sci-fi film The Fifth Element. Kit is cast in heavy solid white resin and is a cast from an actual screen-used prop."

I have one of Dean's original's, and though it is a fantastic piece and essentially the first offering ever seen of this (all beautifully scratch-built to boot.) it was not cast off an original.

17. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Yep, definate recaster and in the past also would use other people's photos for his box art. A couple of years ago he was recasting the V-Pistols I had modified from the battletech toy AND using the photos from my website on his boxes as well. I went after him through ebay but little was done. After enough harrassment he stopped selling the V pistol though.

18. RogueScout

RogueScout Well-Known Member

Holy Crap. I think that * recasted the Giggle Pin on my Knuten Valve..

19. Grant Da Modeler

Grant Da Modeler Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Yup .... that's "RCRobert" .... someone I know bought something from him
    just before he moved.

In their communications he mentioned he was moving to PA, and after he did,
    his "RCRobert" EBAY account was no longer used. Suddenly, a new "CoolModels"
    I.D popped up on EBAY ... selling the exact same product .. in the exact same
    packaging.

20. Dymerski

Dymerski Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 19 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]1283959[/snapback]</div>

HA. Not only is he a loser re-caster (or broker of re-casts) but he's a LIAR too.

From his auction (bold added):
    "gun carried by Bruce Willis as Korben Dallas in the classic sci-fi film The Fifth Element. Kit is cast in heavy solid white resin and is a cast from an actual screen-used prop."

I have one of Dean's original's, and though it is a fantastic piece and essentially the first offering ever seen of this (all beautifully scratch-built to boot.) it was not cast off an original.
    [/b][/quote]
    When I did that I only had one pic of the left side of the gun and before the DVD was released..I made up all the detail on the right side...so ...I can really tell his casting :angry is of mine

21. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

I was the ebayer that left this sack of sh.t a negative. I bought a Assault phaser off him that has to be one of the poorest casts I've EVER seen - filled with tiny bubbles and some larger bubbles just for good measure.
    The other notable thing about this kit is that the bottom half an inch is missing from the magazine - do you know why?
    So the cast would fit in the box.
    He offered me $5 for a refund on something that was so crappy it's beyond redemption.
    Deal with him at your own risk - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

22. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(AnsonJames @ Jul 19 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1284047[/snapback]</div>
    It's one thing to suck so bad at the craft and have no scruples that you are a recaster. .. but to be so cheap as to not finish off the casting because you are to lazy to find a good box? Thats like an undertaker sawing off a guys feet just above the ankles because he won't fit in the coffin.

Its funny yet pathectically sad.

I'm sorry you got stuck with a bad product.

23. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Lets draw and quarter him :angry

24. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

I can tell just by looking at it that the "Blade Runner Deckard Badges" are simply poor recasts of Phil's police badges.

25. Wake

Wake Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Flagg @ Jul 19 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]1284014[/snapback]</div>
    He usually sells a Judge Dredd lawgiver (with a separate barrel protrusion for some reason) and his box art for that is from my website.

[​IMG]

I emailed him once about it asking for him to at least link to my site from his auctions but didn't get a reply.

Cheers,

Wake

26. Wakal

Wakal Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Dreadnaught Industries/Wilco Models products there. My revenge is to keep selling my own versions cheaper than he sells the craptacular recasts of...my stuff...

:D

Alex

27. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

28. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i know ive seen that "taken" artifact here by someone other than him...

29. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

That guy has been doing it for years.

30. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Do you think it would help if any of the individuals whose work he's recasted contacts the Powers That Ve at Dragon*Con and explains the situation?

31. sctcarts77

sctcarts77 New Member

Quite a while ago I bought a Han Solo blaster from him-before I knew what was going on-and the cast was terrible. Very soft edge, tons of bubbles. It took a lot of work to get the base Mauser even passable, and I ended up getting real parts for other things. Very dissatisfied with it. It's too bad guys like this ruin the hobby for so many people, just to make a quick buck.

-sctcarts77

32. Reaper57

Reaper57 Well-Known Member

i mailed him and asked for a pic of the other side of his 5th element gun, :lol

by the way he shows a Buck Rogers gun, who makes that original.

i have never seen one offered by anyone else.

john :smokng

33. Blad

Blad Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Reaper57 @ Jul 20 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]1284638[/snapback]</div>
    There's an English guy who makes the Buck Rogers gun, it's a recast of that (presumably).

Does he actually make anything original?

Looking at his list on eBay again, I think that's a recast of my 'mimetic poly-alloy' T1000 bullet-hit LAPD badge. :(

34. Master Propmaker

Master Propmaker New Member

The Space 1999 stungun and comlock are both copies of WILCO as well.
    The V fightercraft is copied from Ed Miarecki, I think. Add to that the poor castings. Does this guy have a website somewhere?

35. Firefoxm31

Firefoxm31 Sr Member

the v ship was originally sculpted by tim l. it was then recast by C. Larson who then got recasted by RCRobert..small recasting world there ehh

Will

36. propgangsta

propgangsta New Member

I've seen some suspicious items from this eBay seller. Recaster? Maybe. Middle hand? Perhaps. Some stuff he's selling looks like they're coming from other people originally.

37. Wakal

Wakal Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that Coolmodels (ebay name) is a recaster. The Logan's Run and Star Trek TMP are from Wilco original sculpts. His Galactica pistol is a straight pull from ours (which itself is pulled from a real FN...but the grenade launcher is a distinctive sculpt). The I, Robot and Farscape pieces look like recasts of SciFiModels.

And as talked about here, other pieces are direct ripoffs of other folks on this board.

Again, the "recaster" label is NOT in doubt ;)

Alex

38. pennausamike

pennausamike Sr Member

A definite recaster.
    I saw this guy at the Farpoint Con in Hunt Valley Maryland.
    I didn't confront him because I was there for a fun day and I knew there would be no fun if I * myself off.
    But I was tempted to ask him how he justifies buying someone elses work, copying it, and then selling it.

To note; his stolen Jayne pistol was originally from an RPF'er's prototype that had the sight rail on backwards.
    He recasted it backwards, couldn't sell them and had to change them.

His River pistol is cast from an eBayer's version that has since been updated. The updated version has extremely incorrect grips, but is still better than the version this guy sells.

His Mal pistol is taken from an early fan casting that is extremely inaccurate.

"Coolmodels" has had Nathan Fillion sign one of his Mal pistols and
    Summer Glau sign one of his River pistols.
    As of last I heard, they had not sold.
    To my eyes, they are just so grossly inaccurate, even the sigs don't make people want to put them in their collections.

I bought one of his Blue Hand Guys Death Device kits before I knew his rep.
    It is the biggest piece of garbage; totally un-useable.

His Jayne Serenity auto-pistol is truly bad.
    Not just inaccurate, but it doesn't even really look like the movie pistol.

I have seen his castings and they are decent if he stole them from someone else, but his Jayne Serenity auto-pistol and the Death Device are just incredibly crude on their surfaces, like a 1930's era Russian iron casting.

So basically, all his Firefly/Serenity stuff is trash.
    Avoid as a consumer, even if the whole recaster thing doesn't bother you.

Arsenal Models (Vintage models and toys)
    Edward A. Felinski and Jeannine M. Lewis /Hummelstown, PA

Edward Felinski Title Postdoctoral Scholar
    CollegeCollege of Medicine
    CampusesPenn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
    DepartmentC&M Physiology
    Graduate ProgramsEmail eaf129@psu.edu
    This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it

I don't know if this is the same Edward A. Felinski, but it seems odd that two guys would have the same first name, middle initial, and last name and live in the same area.
    Hummelstown is pretty close to Hershey, PA.

And this from Jmtwo
    The other thread is:
    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=25393&highlight=Arsenal+Models

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  39. Darth Mule

Darth Mule Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep. I know several people who include themselves in this guys recast list including scifi models Pulse pistol.

Unfortunately he isn't very selective about what he recasts. He just buys stuff and casts it. He has a mal pistol that is a terrible reproduction for example. On the upside, his casts are, for the most part, clean and nice, and very cheap. I bought a farscape pistolfrom him before I knew his rep. Too bad he can't cast his own work. I expect to see my V daggers on his list before too long.

He usually occupies a huge booth at D*Con. We should stage a protest.

Unfortunately, his "recaster BS" holds up. What he is doing is only morally wrong, technically speaking. What we do when we replicate and sell these original items is infringing on the intellectual property of another individual, and is technically illegal. So recasters have the replica prop artists over a proverbial barrel. All we can really do is ban them from the RPF.

Now if there was some way to more widely disseminate the message of "beware recasters." So that consumers did their homework on their props like they did on, say, their home television set, or their digital camera, then things might change.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  40. Dexvader

Dexvader Well-Known Member

I purchased a Leia Blaster and Clone blaster from AM last year. When I received tham, The clone was great but Leia was terrible. They said to return and I would be refunded the cost plus shipping. Only was given cost of the Leia blaster, nothing more.

41. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Yeah, he also sells a PDK that's recast from Rick Ross' PKD-1.

He'll be at Dcon, and the folks who run the show won't do anything about him. But that doesn't mean you can't chat with him in person on a friends behalf if you're going to be there.

But I gotta warn you guys he's expecting it, and he'll just blow you off and call security. He knows he's a recaster, and from what I've seen, he thinks it's humorous that people have a problem with him about it. I saw him chuckle about it with someone at last years show, when they asked about the BSG blasters origins. He just chuckled, and didn't answer, then said "Do you want to buy it or not?"

42. spcglider@aol.com

spcglider@aol.com Sr Member

This hobby treads in the land of shadow to begin with. That having been said, there are standards of behaviour that have been agreed upon in the community. Recasting someone else's piece, while just as technically illegal as the act of replicating someone's intellectual property in the first place, is a particularly darker shade of gray.

It shows a complete lack of respect for the community you traffick in. And it's something especially difficult to stop. As replica builders we rely on the good will of others and the sense of fair play to halt recasters. This guy obviously has neither of these attributes and doesn't care to attain them.

The best thing to do is to make certain that he is well documented and others entering the hobby are warned against him.

-Gordon

43. Dark Joker

Dark Joker New Member

Question from a Newbie -

What are people's thoughts on recasting a recaster? I suppose it's like asking "Do 2 wrongs make a right?"

I can see if both ways:
    1 - It's bad because you're sinking to his/her level and just perpetuating the recaster virus
    2 - By recasting their's and selling (possible correcting mistakes and flaws) your taking money out of their pocket and giving them a taste of there own medicine.

Just curious what the experts here have to say about the whole thing.

44. jheilman

jheilman Sr Member

The only downside to that is you're still profiting off the work from the original kit maker. You may have improved the recast item, but it's still probably not up to the quality level of the original item.

45. drusselmeyer

drusselmeyer Well-Known Member

Well, that is a "well regarded myth" as Charles Dodgson was fond of saying. The idea that an idea is somehow more real than real is just silly. But enough of that.

Everyone here is missing something very funny. If you are facing a C&D you now have a source of the infringing item to give up. ;)

Oh, I don't make these...I am selling from my collection. This came from...

LOL