HDPE Helmet Build Up - ESB!! New Pics 10/11

JBReplicas

Sr Member
Ok here goes im going to document my progress turning my HDPE Stunt helmet (thanks Joe!) into a Hero, I considered adding bits of styrene here and there to get the overall shape but in the end I decided to just take it apart and re-assemble it, here is the helmet as I got it, more pics to follow

Last edited:
Re: TE Helmet Stunt To Hero WIP

I like the idea of converting a stunt to a hero but why use an HDPE helmet ?
I mean the whole point in TE using that material was because that was what the original stunts were made of and painted,the heros were made of ABS and unpainted.
Supposedly there were only 30 of these HDPE replicas made and they are the only HDPE replicas to be made by anyone to date so seems a strange choice of kit to convert to me.

I like the idea of converting a stunt to a hero but why use an HDPE helmet ?
I mean the whole point in TE using that material was because that was what the original stunts were made of and painted,the heros were made of ABS and unpainted.
Supposedly there were only 30 of these HDPE replicas made and they are the only HDPE replicas to be made by anyone to date so seems a strange choice of kit to convert to me.

I was thinking the same thing... Why not keep it a stunt and get an ABS kit to make a hero then you have 2 really sweet buckets? Paint will eventually come off of the HDPE and give that authentic stunt look, not very becoming for a hero.

That being said Im interested to see what all you think will make this more of a hero than a stunt... cause its more than buildup, paint, and bubble lenses!

Yes due to my total lack of knowledge concerning trooper helmets I never considered the fact that the HDPE Helmet might be a rarity, I have therefore decided to make it into a stunt and get myself an ABS kit, originally I posted a thread about wanting to get another trooper helmet kit and I was offered the HDPE one and snapped it up, thanks for your input guys, I will continue this thread documenting the build up :thumbsup

Last edited:

Good to hear!

Have you ever seen TMs hero?

Between he and Gino those are the best heros IMHO

Either way keep us posted! :cool

Oh god yes both those are lovely hero helmets doubtful you'll be able to get one of Gino's Hero helmets but if you ever do get a chance at one snap it up faster than you can blink.
You'll have more luck with TM i think.

Thanks guys yes I have seen both and agree that they are both incredible helmets, once I get this one done I will focus more on the hero, Ive already got alot on at the moment why do I keep on starting more and more projects I only invite trouble :lol

After some thought I am considering doing this helmet ESB, ive never had an ESB trooper lid and since I already have a stunt I thought why not, any info on colours I should use for the frown/teardrops etc?

Last edited:

Ah decals, Im surprised they werent hand painted, I thought the frown was black but wanted to double check, what I need to find out is if they are painted what colour do I need for the tears

All the pics of the real ESB helmets I have seen, the black appears to be semi-gloss almost to the point of flat black.

The ear details are painted, the rest of the areas are decals. good luck matching decal colors to ear paint (aaargh), although on the real ones the colors don't exactly match (decals on the blue side and ears on the yellow side of gray).

Doug

Re: TE HDPE Helmet Build Up - ESB!!

Well after nearly abandoning this project due to the helmet being stolen Im finally back on track with this, Ive just found a source for the ESB decals, the helmet has been given its base coat of Halfords appliance gloss white and ive painted the frown and vocoder, I'll have a few pics up tomorow please let me know your thoughts :thumbsup

How did the bucket get stolen... that's crazy man (sorry to go a little off topic). I'm always afraid when I have stuff "out" drying or whatever...

Ok pics!!! Heres the helmet as it is now, the second picture shows where I had to repair a split in the HDPE, I used humbrol model filler and it worked out great, let me know your thoughts, in answer to the above post my home was raided a while back and I lost a few items including a complete TE2 trooper set and some Fettpride Boba Fett armour

Updates? Can't wait to see, this will be the MOST ACCURATE STORMTROOPER HELMET EVER!!!:lol
At least made of the right stuff:thumbsup
JJ

Re: TE HDPE Helmet Build Up - ESB!! New Pics 10/11

No significant updates yet, I've been away for a few days and expected to return home to find my decals have arrived but no such luck, will continue finishing off the ear details and then thats about as far as I can go for now, I do have a set of Keiths mic tips to go on as well :thumbsup

All the pics of the real ESB helmets I have seen, the black appears to be semi-gloss almost to the point of flat black.

The ear details are painted, the rest of the areas are decals. good luck matching decal colors to ear paint (aaargh), although on the real ones the colors don't exactly match (decals on the blue side and ears on the yellow side of gray).

Doug

also remember (that is if memery serves me right) the decals on n ESB are blue gray rather than a dark gray like on the ANH, and they have less stripes on the tear drops under the eyes...the frown only has black on the teeth and not the lips like an ROTJ...just some imput from my research

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back