Hasbro Tie Bomber rework

I'm with nazgul on this as I said in the other thread. I think it's mesh not pyramid. On the original it seems to be a mesh with the horizontals having tapered edges and the verticles being flat . If it were pyramid shaped dimples both the horizontals and verticles would have tapered edges so as to taper down into a point. But they don't.

I have two types of light diffuser here and neither look right. As in the mm re do above. On my cc vaders x-1 it has the mesh which looks way more accurate. Not perfect but more accurate than the one above.

More than matts . It looks like he has used the light diffuser. I think the mesh idea is the way to go . I'll try and get some pix up later today. I've had a few pc issues and am stuck on the iPhone/ ipad at the mo.

If you go back to the modelers sith and do a search for Chris Kelly and look at his x1 vaders tie kit you'll see what I mean. I'm not a big fan of his tie kits but the vaders one is not bad.

Been pluggin away today. I have the center panel framed out, I'll add the extensions to it after I have the two panels attached. I also started on the center panel detail. I had a feeling these small parts were goin to take some time..all 80 of the little %$ards.
007.jpg

008.jpg

Movin along now. started on the access panels on the inside ..its beginning to look like a tie wing now ..off to the hobby shop for more styrene!
011.jpg

010.jpg

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments.
I got some more doodads glued on today.. next up I get to make all those little handles and bolts on the panels yipEE!
013.jpg

012.jpg

I drew up a quick pattern on the Wing mesh based on the MPC Vader TIE that is used on the Bomber. How much larger would you say the Hasbro Bomber is to the SS model?
I could scale up the pattern for you to give you an idea of how it "should" look.

Would that be helpful for you?

If Im correct,the Hasbro ships are 1/18? can anyone confirm this? if thats correct,the pattern would be great, id at least have something to compare to.

The PDF is kind of a mess, but I believe this should be at 1:18 compared to the SS (unless I did my scaling wrong). What you are looking at are a bunch of rectangles. As far as 3D, each rectangle tapers in (and down) to meet the thin line in the middle

Also attached is the wing at 1:18 to show size and fit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
thanks seven, I do appreciate it. I always thought the indentions in the mesh were pyramid shaped, but now I see that flat spot at the bottom.

another update. got the details done on the panels. next up comes the details around the wing mounts. I think what I might do here is make one master for each side (mirrored) and cast those as seperate parts. I think it might be difficult to scratch each one and get them exact.
014.jpg

Thanks Nazgul.
Once I got going on these next parts, I realized they werent so hard, so perhaps I can cut one less mold. now on to those tricky parts
015.jpg

016.jpg

One last update before I call it quits for the day. This little bugger was a pain!
I think its still going to need casting seperate. Its actually elevated above the base, leaving a mold lock spot. I was hoping to get the whole wing in one mold, but its obvious now that there will have to be some parts seperate. Hate to do it because it will increase the cost ,but Id rather stay as close to the studio model as I can ..even though its still not going to be 100% accurate in detail .
017.jpg

018.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back