Hasbro NERF M41-A Pulse Rifle

Total with delivery was AU$203.95.

Considering Airsoft is illegal in NSW and that shipping even a resin replica of a fictional firearm from an overseas seller has a good chance of running into customs issues, it’s a pretty solid solution for Aussies.

Total with delivery was AU$203.95.

Considering Airsoft is illegal in NSW and that shipping even a resin replica of a fictional firearm from an overseas seller has a good chance of running into customs issues, it’s a pretty solid solution for Aussies.
Great thx...now I know what I'll have to spend to get one once they arrive iin store at Zing.

I looked into getting the Snow Wolf Pulse Rifle, but I'd never get it into Qld without a big deal from the Fed's...it's doable but there's a stack of forms, licenses, permissions etc...and costs.....not really worth it....this Nerf is a great solution for us here in Australia.

Airsoft is illegal in all Australian states...BUT we have GelSoft here in Qld and it's perfectly legal....:):)

There’s sound but it’s not the Pulse Rifle sound from Aliens or the grenade launch from Aliens.
How complicated might it be to modify it to play a different sound? Could we reconfigure what's already there, or would we more likely have to wire it from scratch? I don't know the first thing about electronics customization, so just curious.

Last edited:
How complicated might it be to modify it to play a different sound? Could we reconfigure what's already there, or would we more likely have to wire it from scratch? I don't know the first thing about electronics customization, so just curious.
I didn’t open mine up so not 100% sure. But from past experience with similar products, it’s usually a small single use board with the sounds installed at the factory. They generally lack any kind of USB port or access to allow you to swap sounds. You’d probably have to remove the board and replace it with an Arduino or similar. No idea if the same board also controls the ammo counter which makes it more complicated. Probably not something super easy to do but theoretically possible. Will depend if there’s interest from an experienced modder/coder who wants to take in the project.
For me, given the sounds are wrong, the speakers small and the flywheels loud, I decided to not bother and am just painting it up in one piece.

Just saw a post on Facebook which alerted me to the fact some people are already receiving theirs, which in turn reminded me that I had actually pre-ordered this through pulse and forgotten about it!

I'm glad I'm not going mad, and that the sound effects definitely aren't movie accurate, which is what I thought after watching a couple of reviews on Youtube. However, I seem to recall the video used to sell the preorder specifically said it would have "movie accurate" sounds, so this seems a bit dishonest. I'm wondering now do I cancel my order or hang onto it in the hopes someone comes out with a custom electronics board for it?

Just saw a post on Facebook which alerted me to the fact some people are already receiving theirs, which in turn reminded me that I had actually pre-ordered this through pulse and forgotten about it!

I'm glad I'm not going mad, and that the sound effects definitely aren't movie accurate, which is what I thought after watching a couple of reviews on Youtube. However, I seem to recall the video used to sell the preorder specifically said it would have "movie accurate" sounds, so this seems a bit dishonest. I'm wondering now do I cancel my order or hang onto it in the hopes someone comes out with a custom electronics board for it?
It's definitely dishonest. From the Habsro Pulse page for the product:

1660810434247.png

"movie-accurate blasting sounds" is definitely not accurate. No idea about cancelling but Hasbro Pulse page has a 90-day return window, though only if the product is unopened. Shipping & Return Policy
If you ordered through a different retailer, I guess check their policies?

The sounds suck and are a disappointment but the rest of the gun is pretty freakin' awesome.
I've just finished base coating mine and will be starting on the weathering over the weekend
Nerf Basecoat.JPG

I sent a note to Hasbro asking about the difference between the advertised and actual sounds. Will post their response when I get it.

It's definitely dishonest. From the Habsro Pulse page for the product:

View attachment 1609364

"movie-accurate blasting sounds" is definitely not accurate. No idea about cancelling but Hasbro Pulse page has a 90-day return window, though only if the product is unopened. Shipping & Return Policy
If you ordered through a different retailer, I guess check their policies?

The sounds suck and are a disappointment but the rest of the gun is pretty freakin' awesome.
I've just finished base coating mine and will be starting on the weathering over the weekend
View attachment 1609365
You have a thread going for yours? I’d subscribe to see your progress.

Depending on how hard it is to disassemble the blaster, and how much room is inside, it really wouldn't be too hard to add different sounds.
Adafruit makes a stand alone sound board that needs nothing more than a battery, speaker and trigger button.
Connect it to your computer with a USB and upload the sound. Cut the speaker wires off at the stock board and connect it to the new board, run a wire to the trigger and another to the battery.
Depending on what the batteries are tho you might end up needing something like a inline regulator for the voltage. All in maybe $30ish total for the parts and whatever time to disassemble and reassemble.

You have a thread going for yours? I’d subscribe to see your progress.
Haven’t started one yet but I probably should. Just need to give it a Matt top coat then order in some silver rubnbuff for the edge weathering, apply some Alclad steel on the exposed silver barrel part and then thinking I might try some Alclad Hot Metal colour gradation on the barrel. Probably won’t work that well of the black but it might be a fun look

So, I heard back from Hasbro regarding the Nerf Pulse Rifle sound effects:

"Hi David,

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

I am pleased to advise you that the team did confirm that the sound effects are official sound affects that have been approved. I will be happy to share your comments.

David, it was my pleasure assisting you. Have a fun day!

Best regards,
Deanna
Hasbro Global Consumer Care Representative"

So, I'm not sure what to think now. My question was referred directly to the brand team responsible for the Pulse rifle, and so I'd think their response would be accurate. And yet, the videos don't seem to sound correct. Guess we'll all find out when the item ships to US buyers.

So, I heard back from Hasbro regarding the Nerf Pulse Rifle sound effects:

"Hi David,

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

I am pleased to advise you that the team did confirm that the sound effects are official sound affects that have been approved. I will be happy to share your comments.

David, it was my pleasure assisting you. Have a fun day!

Best regards,
Deanna
Hasbro Global Consumer Care Representative"

So, I'm not sure what to think now. My question was referred directly to the brand team responsible for the Pulse rifle, and so I'd think their response would be accurate. And yet, the videos don't seem to sound correct. Guess we'll all find out when the item ships to US buyers.
The flywheel sound is loud but even over that, it sure doesn't sound like a pulse rifle to me.
I paused my weathering, stuck batteries back in mine and recorded the below. I'm not great at sounds but it doesn't SOUND like the Pulse Rifle to me. That is instantly recognisable, this is kind of blah.

I guess the question is Are they official ALIENS sounds or official Hasbro Nerf Sounds? And approved by who? Hasbro?

Thanks for the sound samples! Yes, their response was worded "carefully" even though the question was highly specific to whether or not Aliens SFX were actually used. In any event, sure seems like a missed opportunity. I'm guessing that this will be more of an issue when more fans have their Nerf pulse rifles in hand later this Fall.

For the price this is an incredible piece. I don't think the sound is that bad. As an older sci-fi fan I remember when a movie prop toy we be a generic ray gun with a movie logo sticker on it it. I think this is awesome, I'm so glad I ordered one. With a little repaint it will look awesome on the wall... I think the sound isn't even close to as important as the overall look. That's just my opinion.

No regrets here, the sound is a bit of a lose-lose since it's drowned out anyway. This will be my third PR, so I may just leave it as is and pretend the cats are xenos.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back