has anybody use pla plate/plastic board to do papercraft??

keithktam

has anybody use pla plate/plastic board to do papercraft?? just wondering how to take the paper off once the model is done(naturally one would mount the print out on the plstic board)??
would love to see some example!!

cheers

Last edited:
Hi keithktam, you have to peel off the pattern before you begin folding.

You can stick the pattern onto thin (ex. 0.25mm styrene; 0.4mm max) using repositionable spray glue. Cut out the outline (you won't need the tabs so you can cut those off too). Peel off the pattern then score the foldlines lightly using a needle on a pin vise (don't use a cutter to score the foldlines -- if you do the joint will break when you fold). Have the tamiya thin liquid glue handy and glue joints as you fold.

For thicker styrene it's more difficult to fold -- foldlines break too easily -- so you will have to cut each face separately. You can hold the pieces together with tape to see the shape before you start gluing. You'll have to take into account the thickness of the styrene, too, and modify the pattern accordingly

Made below from Mattias Malmer's LM patterns. I used 0.25mm styrene. Each one was folded from just one flat pattern with no modifications
done on the patterns. It works somehow because the styrene is thin enough.
w4zQSzL.jpg

Last edited:
Hi keithktam, you have to peel off the pattern before you begin folding.

You can stick the pattern onto thin (ex. 0.25mm styrene; 0.4mm max) using repositionable spray glue. Cut out the outline (you won't need the tabs so you can cut those off too). Peel off the pattern then score the foldlines lightly using a needle on a pin vise (don't use a cutter to score the foldlines -- if you do the joint will break when you fold). Have the tamiya thin liquid glue handy and glue joints as you fold.

For thicker styrene it's more difficult to fold -- foldlines break too easily -- so you will have to cut each face separately. You can hold the pieces together with tape to see the shape before you start gluing. You'll have to take into account the thickness of the styrene, too, and modify the pattern accordingly

Made below from Mattias Malmer's LM patterns. I used 0.25mm styrene. Each one was folded from just one flat pattern with no modifications
done on the patterns. It works somehow because the styrene is thin enough.
http://i.imgur.com/w4zQSzL.jpg

thank you for your valuable advice!!

would it work for PVA glue??

Oh yes, at least with most craft type PVA glues in my experience...I'm sure there is a chemical property of polyvinyl acetate that lets it absorb water, weakening it's structure. But, as always, you can always run a little 'science experiment' and make certain. We know the paper itself will get 'soggy' but it would also be nice if there wasn't a glue residue that needed scrubbing to remove.

Regards, Robert

Oh yes, at least with most craft type PVA glues in my experience...I'm sure there is a chemical property of polyvinyl acetate that lets it absorb water, weakening it's structure. But, as always, you can always run a little 'science experiment' and make certain. We know the paper itself will get 'soggy' but it would also be nice if there wasn't a glue residue that needed scrubbing to remove.

Regards, Robert

many thanks for the insight again!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back