Harry Potter - Golden Snitch - DH version, Opening snitch modelling

What time frame are you looking at, as I'm waiting for shapeways to process print and send out my revision.

Looking at Mid May, Hopefully that is enough time for you to be happy with it. Normally I would just make my own version but this is way too cool to ignore.

I know it's hardly Canon, but have you considered putting a small magnet in the ring mounting, and removing one of the sides of the mounting? If you put it in the bottom or embedded it in the support for the ring, it might hold it in place and allow you to have both the ring and the one-sided support. You could also use magnets to 'lock' it closed or open. I know you've already addressed the one-sided mounting thing, but I thought a fresh idea might be of interest.

Best of luck!

I like the idea of the magnet in the bottom, this is something I may pursue myself, but I'm not actually producing them, and shapeways has no way to do this either, I'm going to have to leave it up to everyone who wants to work it in themselves.

Looking at Mid May, Hopefully that is enough time for you to be happy with it. Normally I would just make my own version but this is way too cool to ignore.

Ok, so my shipment is supposed to send out latest on March 26, currently 1 piece of my order is finished and it is a snitch half, all my other pieces in the order are fairly small, so there is a chance it will ship before that date. (My last order of comparable size shipped 1 week early, but not this time)

Shipping takes a week, Metal orders take up to 16 business days according to shapeways, that means it's possible to ship at the end of March. Then whatever your normal shipping time is is the last piece. It's possible, but getting close, hopefully it gets here soon so I can finalize it. The modified features are a trial to see what worked, if they all worked then it's done, if a couple didn't work I will have to refine the model a tad. But shouldn't take too long.

Will this be available to the public? I was looking to use a snitch to prompose (yeah haha prompose :rolleyes) to my girlfriend who's a huge harry potter fan.

I'm really taken aback by the idea of a proposal with something I designed, wow. I would definetely love to see it happen. Currently the revised pieces are in the mail to me, and are scheduled to arrive between today and wednesday, I will post as soon as everything is ready. Like I said, hopefully it should be all worked out this time. :)

Wow super cool! Will have to plan on getting this. Looking forward to seeing photos of the new version as well.

It's not drastically changed. Here are some pics I just took, sorry if the quality is bad, it's very detailed and it's my phone camera:

20150402_085834_zpswoq65dsb.jpg

20150402_085910_zps01ymgria.jpg

20150402_085921_zpsynltotn6.jpg

20150402_085939_zpsi9dyrrht.jpg

20150402_085951_zpsjezni83v.jpg

20150402_090010_zpsyl0scuou.jpg

20150402_090025_zpsusdb5f6x.jpg

20150402_090100_zps1tss7z3m.jpg

20150402_090109_zpsxv2dsoob.jpg

20150402_090129_zps0yavb5gn.jpg

20150402_090140_zpsxwzwewat.jpg

20150402_090225_zpsitmrftck.jpg

Changes:

The text didn't come out as nice as I had hoped, so I'm offering a snitch without text in case people don't like it.

I removed half the supports inside the snitch to be more accurate, the new ring holder fits my ring nice and snug, it is about 3mm wide. so anything bigger cannot be held, anything smaller should be able to be held with some putty.

I straightened out the curve on the side.

Extending the shell worked out, and there is a very very minute gap between the shells when closed now, much better in my opinion.

And the inner shell is a bit thinner making it look less bulky.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the time and dedication you put into this! I'll be ordering now :D hope my girlfriend hopefully fiancee will like it.

Thanks so much for the time and dedication you put into this! I'll be ordering now :D hope my girlfriend hopefully fiancee will like it.

Thank you for ordering, I know she'll love it, I'd love to see some pics when you get it in, gotta see what that finish looks like
smile.png

I see you went with the one with the text, gonna have to see how that turns out. casting is likely a better process for it than printing.

I'm just happy this project got finished. Yea!

Hmm, the toughest decision is to decide which finish to buy :(

Man going to be a long decision by which I mean a day before I order :p

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back