Hardware Luke ROTJ V2?

JunkSabers1138

Sr Member
I saw a Luke ROTJ V2 saber on here a while ago and the one who posted said it was a hardware saber. Who did it and does anyone know how it might have been done? The Luke ROTJ was going my next shot at hardware saber building and this would look good next to my hardware Obi and Dooku.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help. I can't get into the ezboard page because it says "Login account". I just found that other site yesterday and it blows me away every time I see it. Too bad that guy's not going to add a tutorial like he said he would :cry . Does anyone have any ideas on how this little beauty was pulled off?

I think that project was done in 2003. I doubt there will be a tutorial for it.

Get creative and go to Ace Hardware. That's what the guy who made it did.

FB

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Jul 11 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]1278709[/snapback]</div>
I think that project was done in 2003. I doubt there will be a tutorial for it.

Get creative and go to Ace Hardware. That's what the guy who made it did.

FB
[/b]

Yes. But other than the Graflex clamp and the D-Ring and washers, I don't know what else went into this thing... much less how it was assembled :( . So going to the store will get me nowhere until I have understanding on how to put at least 50+ little pieces together. And then there's paint and weathering :eek :eek :eek: .

Thanks for your help, man.

It's real easy. You can start with a threaded rod and just start adding washers and things that catch your eye.

I made some Graflex style sabers and used sink tubes and other found parts.

You can paint sand and glue things together to make them look like what you want. Use a painted lego for a control box or whatever.

Also, Camera stores have great things to use on sabers. Look at the used items bins if they have them.

I just found a Heiland 2 cell for $5.

FB

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Jul 11 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1278738[/snapback]</div>
It's real easy. You can start with a threaded rod and just start adding washers and things that catch your eye.

I made some Graflex style sabers and used sink tubes and other found parts.

You can paint sand and glue things together to make them look like what you want. Use a painted lego for a control box or whatever.

Also, Camera stores have great things to use on sabers. Look at the used items bins if they have them.

I just found a Heiland 2 cell for $5.

FB
[/b]

Thanks. I knew how the grip rings went together, it's just washers of alternating sizes staked in a pattern that continiue into the clamp to ensure a tight fit. But the neck, "windvane", emmiter, pommel, "gear area" and that cone knob make me wonder how you can make a scratch build look so machined.

Congradulations on the flashguns. What kind of camera store did you buy them from? An antique camera store? All the camera stores I know of have only modern cameras.

Oh BTW, If anyone is going to Pigeon Forge, and more specifically the Dixie Stampede dinner and a show, for vacation, look in the restrooms and take a look at what looks like an air freshener box. There seems to be conical knobs with knurled edges holding it all together. I know it's not 100% accurate, but it just made me think it was that elusive cone knob from various SW props. It could be that I saw a variation of these knobs in there, but we've already gone to PF this year and'll have to wait until next summer before we can go back, so I'm not sure.

Why don't you join the ASAP board and read all about how he made this saber.

There is an entire thread that lesternessman posted above.

Also the other link lesternessman posted has the guys email address at the bottom of the page.

FB

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Jul 11 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]1278859[/snapback]</div>
Why don't you join the ASAP board and read all about how he made this saber.

There is an entire thread that lesternessman posted above.

Also the other link lesternessman posted has the guys email address at the bottom of the page.

FB
[/b]

Is joining that board free? And yes I tried to email that guy the minute I found the site. No reply yet :( .

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]1279547[/snapback]</div>
Is joining that board free? And yes I tried to email that guy the minute I found the site. No reply yet :( .
[/b]

Yes, EZ Board is free. I strongly recommend setting up a "Global Account". There are a lot of good EZ Board communities and a Global Account will let you get into all them with one user name and password.

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ Jul 12 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]1279561[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]1279547[/snapback]
[/b]

Yes, EZ Board is free. I strongly recommend setting up a "Global Account". There are a lot of good EZ Board communities and a Global Account will let you get into all them with one user name and password.
[/b][/quote]

Okay good. Being a young teen too young to get a job, I'm on a VERY tight budget and will not join anything that requires a membership fee. When's the next EZ registration?

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]1279574[/snapback]</div>
When's the next EZ registration?[/b]
All the time. Don't worry. :)

However, I don't see much info in the thread on ASAP that is not on the web page.
The clamp was from Roman's Empire. The grip was made from washers, and it was somewhat difficult to line them up because they were all for differently-sized bolts.

When I built a Luke ROTJ-style grip out of washers (it was a custom saber), I first attached each small washer onto a larger one. Then I attached the pieces together by dropping them one by one into a piece of tubing with an inner diameter that fit the largest washers just right. Of course there may be many other methods that are just as good.
You could also use automotive filler or epoxy putty to fill the cracks. File off the excess with a triangular file. Because putty is so much softer than steel, the washers will serve as a guide so you don't file off too much.
To paint, it is easiest to use spray paint and then sand off the parts of the grip that should look like metal.

The pommel cubes look like they were cut from pieces of tubing of different sizes that slid into eachother. I think it would be much easier to use a thick aluminum tube to begin with. ;)
It is difficult to work on pieces that have been glued together, because the friction of a saw blade or file causes heat, sometimes enough to make the glue lose its adhesiveness.

The pommel cubes are pretty clever. But if you don't just have this crap lying around, it'll cost you a fortune to buy it. I've spent between 65 and 95 bucks on every custom saber I've made, and they never look quite as nice as I'd like. Honestly, I'd save your pennies and buy a V2 blank or have one machined for you. Does your school have a metals shop? That's how I got a free blank made once.

If it's a Playskool, I guarantee that a big chunk of it is washers puttied with bondo, or telescoping PVC, and airbrushed. That's how he managed many of his other sabers, if I recall.

<div class='quotetop'>(cayman shen @ Jul 13 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1280328[/snapback]</div>
The pommel cubes are pretty clever. But if you don't just have this crap lying around, it'll cost you a fortune to buy it. I've spent between 65 and 95 bucks on every custom saber I've made, and they never look quite as nice as I'd like. Honestly, I'd save your pennies and buy a V2 blank or have one machined for you. Does your school have a metals shop? That's how I got a free blank made once.

If it's a Playskool, I guarantee that a big chunk of it is washers puttied with bondo, or telescoping PVC, and airbrushed. That's how he managed many of his other sabers, if I recall.
[/b]

I know. I can NEVER make my hardware sabers as well as I want them too :( . And BTW, I homeschool :D, but I do know a guy at my church who manages a machine shop here in town. And my granddad is a supervisor there too. I asked this guy if he'd ever machine for me and he said that after work he'd collect the scrap metal and leftover metal stock off the floor so it would cost me next to nothing (or even nothing) to machine a saber for me. I gave him some plans I designed for Asajj Ventress' pre-red CW sabers a few months ago (pretty simple enough) and he told me that they were SO booked that it would take him almost a year to get them made. I bet he's forgotten by now :cry . Thank's for your help and ideas guys.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back