Han Solo Vest Pattern Project

Egon, another voice raised to let you know that there are people following this. Your detailed analysis is really helpful to someone who is just starting his own research.

Great work! And thanks for sharing it!

Hey all,

I haven't had much opportunity to rework the patterns, but I wanted to try to get the gussets on there to make sure they work. Boy, attaching pockets isn't fun...

I had a bit of trouble this time with the bias tape. I made my own for this one, and it seemed to be a bit too wide for this particular project, but it is just a lesson.

Anywho, it looks like everything pretty much worked as planned. What do you guys think?

IMG_2950.JPG
IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG
IMG_2960.JPG
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG
IMG_2963.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG

Last edited:
Now, this question may have been answered already and I'm unaware of the correct terminology, but what is the depth of the bottom two pockets? i.e. how thick are the bits of fabric that go around the pockets (that connect the front of the pocket to the main vest)?

On this second prototype, I made them one inch deep. It's odd that the photos didn't rotate the way I wanted them to, sorry about that guys.

user-offline.png
Egon
Greetings from Guadalajara Jal. Mex. in this September I turn 41, I think it's time to create my first cosplay, my project is to premiere at the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.Searching the Web and in the forum I found your post, I'm not very skilled with the English language but try to understand all the issues you wrote about the subject, I thanks to share your passion for costume Han Solo and hope to achieve mine with the same quality, a greeting.

user-offline.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, quick update on the patterns. They took a back seat a bit to finishing up my first version of the Solo project. But here is what Version 2 looks like worn with the rest of the get up.

IMG_3072.JPG
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3075.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG

Looks awesome!

So I don't really know anything about the ANH vest, but I'd like to lend my advice as it relates to the ESB jacket and the Dawn Anderson pattern. First, if you're starting from her pattern and have modified it to make that vest, you're more than far enough away from the source material to distribute your result however you like without moral dilemma. Second, I really don't think the vest is unlined. I don't personally see any evidence of a bias binding at the armholes, if anything there is a facing there. I would make it fully lined, though. In regard to the pockets on the Anderson pattern, the gussets she designed for her pattern are far off from what the actual pockets on the ESB jacket look like. Again, I don't know anything about the vest, but I can say that much about the jacket. A final note on the pictures of you wearing the vest up above, I noticed that the vest appears to hang away from your body a bit at the bottom of the front. You said you removed quite a bit of material to slim the waist, but did you add a dart to the front? On the ESB jacket, there is a dart hidden underneath the center of each bottom pocket. It's not big, maybe around 1/4"-3/8", but it would make a bit of a difference in that regard.

Looks awesome!

So I don't really know anything about the ANH vest, but I'd like to lend my advice as it relates to the ESB jacket and the Dawn Anderson pattern. First, if you're starting from her pattern and have modified it to make that vest, you're more than far enough away from the source material to distribute your result however you like without moral dilemma. Second, I really don't think the vest is unlined. I don't personally see any evidence of a bias binding at the armholes, if anything there is a facing there. I would make it fully lined, though. In regard to the pockets on the Anderson pattern, the gussets she designed for her pattern are far off from what the actual pockets on the ESB jacket look like. Again, I don't know anything about the vest, but I can say that much about the jacket. A final note on the pictures of you wearing the vest up above, I noticed that the vest appears to hang away from your body a bit at the bottom of the front. You said you removed quite a bit of material to slim the waist, but did you add a dart to the front? On the ESB jacket, there is a dart hidden underneath the center of each bottom pocket. It's not big, maybe around 1/4"-3/8", but it would make a bit of a difference in that regard.

Thanks! I really appreciate the input!

Im still not sure if the ANH vest was unlined. I am not sure we will ever really know unless it somehow turns up. The ROTJ vest is as is the ESB jacket. So I am guessing the ANH vest probably is too. This one I am wearing just doesn't happen to be lined.

With the anderson pattern I didn't even bother with the gussets. I used it only for sizing and basic shape. It is significantly cropped and the front pieces are shortened so it does not close like a jacket would. Han's vest looks like it probably wouldn't close.

The hanging is kind of the result of two things. It looks a bit uneven in the photos because my wallet and phone are in one pocket so it droops a bit. The other is the fact that the vest doesn't close. I did not add a dart to the front but that is really interesting about the ESB Jacket and I am working on my pattern for that soon (need to get one settled before the other.) I am okay with it hanging open that much because it seems to match these promo photos pretty well

0606ab95aa9c0be45b48f6582a6e37d3.jpg
IMG_3075.JPG

but I think you're right about a dart being on there to keep it a bit closer...maybe it is time to experiment...

quick update on the vest.

Still working on the patterns. This vest features slightly different pockets and I tightened up the vest overall around the waist. It also has smaller back loops with space inbetween, something I overlooked on the last one. I used a bit of a lighter twill this time (8oz. as opposed to 10oz) and it looks slightly more blue in the light. The way ANH is, I think this looks a little more "screen seen"

IMG_3218.JPGIMG_3217.JPG

I reworked these things after stumbling across this making of video with some good shots of angles of the vest I couldn't see before.

Picture 8.pngPicture 7.pngPicture 10.png

That looks great. If you choose to make your patterns available, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks
Dan

Definitely working on it guys! They're actually pretty simple. I just gotta find the time. I just want o adjust a few things and then they should be good to go by the force awakens.

Also my sewing skills have improved to the point that I feel comfortable le offering completed vests through my etsy page. That way there is also some real accountability to payment/delivery and all that good stuff.

But of course the patterns will be free up here!

Here is a quick update with some photos of the latest version.

This is 8oz twill. The pockets have all been reworked as well as the backloops. I have some padding in the pockets to make them poof out a bit.

Note that the colors are a bit blown out just to show detail on the vest. The shirt I'm designing (prototype in the pic) is a creamy color.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I guess I am dumb because I can't get these files to rotate in the manager or through saving the file on my PC :facepalm. Anyone care to explain that to me hah.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    11.4 MB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Egon-

Working on a vest myself. Yours seems to be turning out WAY better than mine currently. You said you might offer vest through your Etsy store? You never did provide a link to your Etsy store though.

I'd be interested in the patterns if you ever get around to releasing them.

-Ash

Amazing job.

I am starting an ANH vest pattern. Could you ask me a few questions?

• The base shape for the vest is rectangular (B) or hexagonal (A)?
Hans ANH Vest  SHAPES.jpg

• What fabric do you think is more screen accurate? Heavy cotton?

(Of course) I'd be interested in the patterns If you would be so kind to share them. Thanks.

B.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back