Han Solo Vest Pattern Project

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Egon, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

So I have been really inspired by Crazylegmurphy's thread on the Han Solo holster. It has made me really dissatisfied with my ANH vest.

While doing some research, I have come across a few interesting details that I don't think have been addressed. In addition, the in depth thread on the Rebel Legion forum has a bunch of dead images.

My goal with this thread is to:

1 - Make myself a more satisfying vest
    2 - Address the possibility of newly discovered details
    3 - Make a sewing pattern available for free use and alteration

I'm going to need some help on this. I am currently working on the pattern to fit me, but if it is going to be available for everyone we will need different sizes. If anyone is has knowledge on enlarging patterns please use whatever I post!

But first - the details...

I am going to address this a couple different chunks. General proportions, seams, pockets, etc.

One thing I have noticed from these pre production photos is the seam on the sleeve. It appears to me to have a large seam allowance and perhaps even multiple seams.

hanHero1-2 copy 2.jpg

Also, in this photo - that darn bottom left pocket. It looks to my eyes as if the top of the pocket has a few rows of stitching maybe 1/4 inch or less apart

hanHero1-2 copy 3.jpg

In this photo also seems to show that ALL the pocket flaps are top stitched down

hanHero1-2 copy 2.jpg

What interests me is the two pockets on that left side. The bottom with its mysterious flap seems to be pretty open here. I am wondering if the extra flap is supposed to be a pull tab of sorts to open the pocket up from being tucked into the flap with its 3 stitched sides.

hanHero2-2 copy.jpg

Then the top pocket in these photos seem to look like that left side of the pocket may not be attached, or the billow is VERY large.

hanHero1-2 copy 2.jpg han595.jpg

The curved pocket - This pockets shape seems very specific and is really easy to make it look a bit wonky and off. To my eyes, it almost appears to be made like a hands warmer pocket such as this - http://media.qcsupply.com/catalog/p...78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/7/8/78622_1.jpg The only clean shot of it I can really find is this well known one

tumblr_lsiep7k1uA1qmnqf0o1_1280 copy.jpg

It looks to me like it is modeled off of that type of pocket with a billow.

That's it for tonight. I will keep the ball rolling if there is interest and please please please contribute!

2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

If this research is going as deep as Crazylegmurphy's holster then this should become a very interesting read to follow too :)

Chaim

3. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

I'd love to see someone put this much research into the ESB jacket as well.

bearded and Solos blaster like this.
  4. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I hope this generates a lot of interest. I am going to need a lot of help - my resource photos are already drying up.

My plan is to continue to work on the pattern with the dimensions and pockets I think are there and do a mock up with contrast stitching so we can all see how it is constructed and then take those changes and make a prototype "finish" vest.

5. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

So the bottom left pocket.

I am beginning to really think that this pocket has two key things going on that are a bit different than we may have thought.

The first thing is the flap. It looks to me that after scenes with heavier movement, the pocket pops out - but in scenes that are more still, the pocket stays closed. This is why I think - and please chime in! - that the extra flap is made to be tucked up into the top flap.

Check out these pics to see what I mean.

Here it is tucked and you can see the puckering
    ANH-JABBA_HAN.jpg
    Here it is a bit untucked from the top flap, but perhaps the second flap is flip over into the pocket.
    hanHero2-2 copy.jpg
    Then we can see the pocket is popped open and the flap is out and sticking up - possibly?
    hanHero2-2 copy.jpg
    You can also see it kind of popping out here in the cantina scene
    han_01.jpg

I think the flap is attached with those rows of extra stitching we see.

I will use the top left pocket as possible evidence that the bottom one folds up that high into the flat. The top left pocket is very clearly tucked almost all the way up to the top seam. This can be seen in a lot of photos. It can be seen printing underneath the flap.
    han595.jpg

The second thing about this pocket is that I am not convinced it is the typical billowed pocket like the others or on the Bespin Jacket. I think this pocket is basically a two piece pocket, top stiched and flipped inside out and then top stitched (or some other hidden stitch) to the vest exterior. The evidence for this is strongest in the SE scenes with Jabba. It is difficult to see, maybe someone can get some blu ray screen grabs? But to me it looks like there are no seams on the top of the pocket connecting it to the billowed piece. This can also be seen a bit in the photo from the cantina scene.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Sym-Cha likes this.
  6. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Perhaps Crazylegsmurphy may have some additional reference shots for you to share?

Chaim

7. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

While mocking up the vest in muslin, I came to the conclusion that I do not believe that the ANH vest was lined like the ROTJ vest.

The double seam that I believed I was seeing, to me, now looks like a bias tape. This would make sense to me given its appearance and if it was not lined.

I also realize that I have been calling gussets billows. I'm not a smart man. :facepalm

I will post pics on Thursday. Been going on a workaholic bender this week. Lookin forward to payday!

8. Crazylegsmurphy

Crazylegsmurphy Active Member

Hey!

I just noticed this thread. :)

Very interesting indeed. I may have some photos from the costume I just saw. I'm not sure what vest is on the costume, as it seems like a mash up of a few different costumes.

I took a LOT of photos, but many of them are not in focus due to the low light, and no flash conditions. I will post any that are relevant if any turn out.

Looking forward to seeing this thread develop. I'll help any way I can....perhaps in a pattern form if needed. :)

Sym-Cha likes this.
  9. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey All,

It seems like there isn't much interest in this thread, but I am going to update anyways. I completed a prototype vest with the patterns that I drafted. I can post photos after work.

I am hesitant to post the patterns though. As I stated, I based them off of the Anderson Designs Falcon Jacket pattern. BUT I did heavily alter each of the 4 pieces from the pattern that I used to the point where I personally feel as though they are different and stand on their own, but I would rather not go down that road with the community...

10. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Post whatever you seem fit ... do you intend to offer any Solo vests in the near future perhaps?

Chaim

11. Crazylegsmurphy

Crazylegsmurphy Active Member

Egon,

I will be doing the same thing once I'm done the holster pattern. I will be very, very loosely be basing mine on the Anderson design, but I will be breaking it down, and altering it so much that it wouldn't be recognizable in the least.

I think if you credit the original pattern very openly and honestly, I don't see there being an issue. If you've altered it to the point where you think it is different enough, I don't see the issue. A jacket is a jacket, there is only so much you can do that won't be a copy of some pattern somewhere.

As for this thread. I am quite interested in it. I am just so preoccupied with the holster, I don't have much time to put into this at this moment. Soon though, as I think this is a very worthy thread to have.

12. doctorwholittle

doctorwholittle Active Member

Please keep posting! I'm more of a lurker, but I'm absolutely fascinated by everyone's attention to details, yet wanting to add their own personal flair.

13. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Neat project.
    I never noticed that the pockets where different between the left and right.

Keep posting, I may have to try my hand at making one. :thumbsup

14. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I adore hard core research. Can't wait to see this play out.

15. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for the support! I'm interested to hear all these opinions.

Sym-Cha - I probably would not offer vests just because I am not a very skilled seamstress and would feel badly if I accepted money for a product that didn't meet expectations.

Better photos are on their way. Couldn't get an accurate representation of the vest on my phone, so I will be having my girlfriend snap some for me wearing the vest tomorrow.

You can see pretty clearly on the back photo that the waistband is a bit tighter giving it the synched look. The top right pocket is still a bit wonky to my eye. I also think the vest should not be as closed, even though I shortened the closure by MANY inches from the original pattern. IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2336.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Sym-Cha likes this.
  16. lordhelmet

lordhelmet New Member

great job on the vest. I'd love to get a copy of your pattern to start one of my own.

Reelo and doctorwholittle like this.
  17. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I think what I may do is create the pocket patterns and do a tutorial while making a second vest. traveling for work the next few weeks so it may be awhile.

doctorwholittle likes this.
  18. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Things at work have finally calmed down a bit so I am getting back to work on this.

The first prototype is done and I will post pics of the fit soon! Overall I am satisfied with the fit and proportions of everything. On this round, I didn't create any dimension to the pockets because I wanted to make sure the pockets looked "right" before i spent effort making them dimensional.

As far as releasing the patterns - I think I have come to a moral compromise. I will create some PDF's of the pocket sewing patterns and release those as well as a video about assembly. This will allow me to give back to you guys and will stop any moral questions about the Dawn Anderson Pattern.

I will begin work tonight on the PDF's so they will hopefully be up by the end of the week!

19. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

Wow, guess I must watch this thread....

20. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Here is a rough mock up of the pattern. These will all feature a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Pocket(1).jpg

chizbot and doctorwholittle like this.
  21. gilgalad5

gilgalad5 New Member

Egon, another voice raised to let you know that there are people following this. Your detailed analysis is really helpful to someone who is just starting his own research.

Great work! And thanks for sharing it!

22. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I haven't had much opportunity to rework the patterns, but I wanted to try to get the gussets on there to make sure they work. Boy, attaching pockets isn't fun...

I had a bit of trouble this time with the bias tape. I made my own for this one, and it seemed to be a bit too wide for this particular project, but it is just a lesson.

Anywho, it looks like everything pretty much worked as planned. What do you guys think?

IMG_2950.JPG
    IMG_2953.JPG
    IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2961.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2966.JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  23. lordhelmet

lordhelmet New Member

great work

24. CalMusquez

CalMusquez Member

Now, this question may have been answered already and I'm unaware of the correct terminology, but what is the depth of the bottom two pockets? i.e. how thick are the bits of fabric that go around the pockets (that connect the front of the pocket to the main vest)?

25. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

On this second prototype, I made them one inch deep. It's odd that the photos didn't rotate the way I wanted them to, sorry about that guys.

26. supermansteel

supermansteel New Member

user-offline.png Egon
    Greetings from Guadalajara Jal. Mex. in this September I turn 41, I think it's time to create my first cosplay, my project is to premiere at the premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.Searching the Web and in the forum I found your post, I'm not very skilled with the English language but try to understand all the issues you wrote about the subject, I thanks to share your passion for costume Han Solo and hope to achieve mine with the same quality, a greeting.

user-offline.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  27. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all, quick update on the patterns. They took a back seat a bit to finishing up my first version of the Solo project. But here is what Version 2 looks like worn with the rest of the get up.

IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3075.JPG
    IMG_3079.JPG

28. doctorwholittle

That's fanTAStic stuff!!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

29. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks awesome!

So I don't really know anything about the ANH vest, but I'd like to lend my advice as it relates to the ESB jacket and the Dawn Anderson pattern. First, if you're starting from her pattern and have modified it to make that vest, you're more than far enough away from the source material to distribute your result however you like without moral dilemma. Second, I really don't think the vest is unlined. I don't personally see any evidence of a bias binding at the armholes, if anything there is a facing there. I would make it fully lined, though. In regard to the pockets on the Anderson pattern, the gussets she designed for her pattern are far off from what the actual pockets on the ESB jacket look like. Again, I don't know anything about the vest, but I can say that much about the jacket. A final note on the pictures of you wearing the vest up above, I noticed that the vest appears to hang away from your body a bit at the bottom of the front. You said you removed quite a bit of material to slim the waist, but did you add a dart to the front? On the ESB jacket, there is a dart hidden underneath the center of each bottom pocket. It's not big, maybe around 1/4"-3/8", but it would make a bit of a difference in that regard.

30. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Thanks! I really appreciate the input!

Im still not sure if the ANH vest was unlined. I am not sure we will ever really know unless it somehow turns up. The ROTJ vest is as is the ESB jacket. So I am guessing the ANH vest probably is too. This one I am wearing just doesn't happen to be lined.

With the anderson pattern I didn't even bother with the gussets. I used it only for sizing and basic shape. It is significantly cropped and the front pieces are shortened so it does not close like a jacket would. Han's vest looks like it probably wouldn't close.

The hanging is kind of the result of two things. It looks a bit uneven in the photos because my wallet and phone are in one pocket so it droops a bit. The other is the fact that the vest doesn't close. I did not add a dart to the front but that is really interesting about the ESB Jacket and I am working on my pattern for that soon (need to get one settled before the other.) I am okay with it hanging open that much because it seems to match these promo photos pretty well

0606ab95aa9c0be45b48f6582a6e37d3.jpg
    IMG_3075.JPG

but I think you're right about a dart being on there to keep it a bit closer...maybe it is time to experiment...

31. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

quick update on the vest.

Still working on the patterns. This vest features slightly different pockets and I tightened up the vest overall around the waist. It also has smaller back loops with space inbetween, something I overlooked on the last one. I used a bit of a lighter twill this time (8oz. as opposed to 10oz) and it looks slightly more blue in the light. The way ANH is, I think this looks a little more "screen seen"

IMG_3218.JPG IMG_3217.JPG

I reworked these things after stumbling across this making of video with some good shots of angles of the vest I couldn't see before.

Picture 8.png Picture 7.png Picture 10.png

32. doctorwholittle

Looking VERY niiiice!!

33. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great. If you choose to make your patterns available, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks
    Dan

34. doctorwholittle

Not alone in that sentiment.

35. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Definitely working on it guys! They're actually pretty simple. I just gotta find the time. I just want o adjust a few things and then they should be good to go by the force awakens.

Also my sewing skills have improved to the point that I feel comfortable le offering completed vests through my etsy page. That way there is also some real accountability to payment/delivery and all that good stuff.

But of course the patterns will be free up here!

Reelo, Zwilliamo and doctorwholittle like this.
  36. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Here is a quick update with some photos of the latest version.

This is 8oz twill. The pockets have all been reworked as well as the backloops. I have some padding in the pockets to make them poof out a bit.

Note that the colors are a bit blown out just to show detail on the vest. The shirt I'm designing (prototype in the pic) is a creamy color.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I guess I am dumb because I can't get these files to rotate in the manager or through saving the file on my PC :facepalm. Anyone care to explain that to me hah.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Zwilliamo and doctorwholittle like this.
  37. doctorwholittle

Looking fantastic, Egon!!

38. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool stuff. Keep up the good work. Post more when you can.

39. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Egon-

Working on a vest myself. Yours seems to be turning out WAY better than mine currently. You said you might offer vest through your Etsy store? You never did provide a link to your Etsy store though.

I'd be interested in the patterns if you ever get around to releasing them.

-Ash

40. bloodwalker

bloodwalker New Member

Amazing job.

I am starting an ANH vest pattern. Could you ask me a few questions?

• The base shape for the vest is rectangular (B) or hexagonal (A)?
    Hans ANH Vest  SHAPES.jpg

• What fabric do you think is more screen accurate? Heavy cotton?

(Of course) I'd be interested in the patterns If you would be so kind to share them. Thanks.

B.

41. Reelo

Reelo Sr Member

... still waiting for those patterns... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

42. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Definitely A. I used an 8oz cotton twill. I went with one that looked like it had a blue base instead of a brown.

43. bloodwalker

bloodwalker New Member

44. HB1098S

HB1098S Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How's this coming along? Any word on availability?

45. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

46. PropReplicator2

PropReplicator2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are the patterns done?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  47. RagleGumm

RagleGumm Member

Hate to try and revive an old thread, but if these patterns ever do become available, I'd be eternally grateful! Amazing work on this project.

I'm finally yielding to the desire for some Han Solo stuff that I've had for years and I'm quite tempted to have a go at the vest.

Thanks for sharing all this.

RG.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Reelo likes this.
  48. kman

kman Well-Known Member

Great research and project! I really hope that pattern can be released someday, as I’d love to take a crack at this, even though my sewing skills aren’t great. :)

I have a decent library of reference photos I’d be happy to share with the OP, as well, if it would help...

49. KhanVader

KhanVader New Member

Just gonna bump this, lots of good work here and I'd love to use that pattern.