Han Solo in Carbonite: A novice build

MUCH better!!!

Thanks! I thought so too. I had high hopes for the glue, but after 3 weeks of messing around with it, I just wasn't getting the results I wanted. It made me a bit frustrated to cover up all that work, but I'm so glad that I did. I thought about not posting pics of the glue process because I ended up going a different direction, however I want people to see the mistakes I made so that it might help a future HIC builder

Here is the box as it sits at the moment. It's masked off and ready for front panel paint. I'll post more pictures as soon as I get some more painting done.

20150322_020516000_iOS.jpg20150322_020547000_iOS.jpg20150322_020555000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like it's Christmas this week. I received my HIC Panel #2 kit from Warpcell as well as my Hero Panel kit from Modeljag within the same week. The kits are beyond my expectations and the quality of both kits is fantastic. Thanks to both Modeljag and Warpcell for providing this build service for these amazing kits.

I feel like it's Christmas this week. I received my HIC Panel #2 kit from Warpcell as well as my Hero Panel kit from Modeljag within the same week. The kits are beyond my expectations and the quality of both kits is fantastic. Thanks to both Modeljag and Warpcell for providing this build service for these amazing kits.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you like the kit. Great work so far, you are going much faster than I did!

I sprayed the front panel with two coats of satin nickel and topped it off with a coat of brushed nickel. It's hard to tell in these photos due to the harsh lighting, but it looks very shiny.
20150324_010244000_iOS.jpg20150324_233030000_iOS.jpg20150324_233050000_iOS.jpg20150324_010234000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Just for fun, I decided to shoot a time lapse of the weathering process today. It took me an hour and a half from start to finish and I compressed the whole process into a 30 second clip. It took me a few coats to get the look I wanted. Thanks to Warpcell for the weathering tips!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Take Solo to the cargo hold!' ... I can hear Boba Fett's words whispering in my head ... that's how absolutely fantastic this work in progress already looks ... :)

Chaim

'Take Solo to the cargo hold!' ... I can hear Boba Fett's words whispering in my head ... that's how absolutely fantastic this work in progress already looks ... :)

Chaim

Thank you for your kind words. I've built smaller props before but nothing of this size and I have to say that I'm loving every minute of it.This is a really fun build. I'm really happy with the result so far. I feel like the carbonite texture is a little busy in a few places, but I'm ok with that.

Thank you for your kind words. I've built smaller props before but nothing of this size and I have to say that I'm loving every minute of it.This is a really fun build.

This is a very satisfying build. On a scale of difficulty (1-10), I think it's a 5. It's time consuming and BIG but not a hard thing to accomplish with the right tools and forthought. It's one those props that looks SOOOO impressive and people who have never built anything before look at you like a god. LOL!

This is a very satisfying build. On a scale of difficulty (1-10), I think it's a 5. It's time consuming and BIG but not a hard thing to accomplish with the right tools and forthought. It's one those props that looks SOOOO impressive and people who have never built anything before look at you like a god. LOL!

I totally agree. I have two neighbors who keep popping by to see my progress and they are so impressed. One guy told me he wishes his wife would let him do a project like this. My wife is fully on board so I'm lucky in that regard.

I totally agree. I have two neighbors who keep popping by to see my progress and they are so impressed. One guy told me he wishes his wife would let him do a project like this. My wife is fully on board so I'm lucky in that regard.

I had the same thing happen. Though it was everything from "What are you building?" to "Oh my god, is that Han Solo in Carbonite?" My wife loves my props and I too am very fortunate that she understands my obsessions.

This build looks great! I'm not an HIC expert, but I've always wanted one to go with my ROTJ FETT! Love the weathering video too!

This build looks great! I'm not an HIC expert, but I've always wanted one to go with my ROTJ FETT! Love the weathering video too!

Thank you. The weathering was the part I was most nervous about. I agonized over it for the longest time, but after Warpcell gave me a few tips, I felt more confident. My next step is the side panels.

I had the same thing happen. Though it was everything from "What are you building?" to "Oh my god, is that Han Solo in Carbonite?" My wife loves my props and I too am very fortunate that she understands my obsessions.

Seem to be in the same boat on the wife side of things. She isn't in LOVE with my props, but being in the animation industry, she gets it.

She may not ever really pay them much attention, but she's always first to bring them up with other people "Oh yeah... He's building Han in Carbonite next!"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back