Han Solo in Carbonite: A novice build

Kingjawa did a great job on the cast. My favorite part is the teeth. It's a subtle detail but adds such realism.
Hi there great job and the first time I have soon a bare bones construction of this work. I do have one question. I'm sorry if it's been answered before. How come Han who is in binders end up with his hands free and in front of his face?

Last edited:
Since I'm very new to the forum having just discovered you could actually do this (and hearing Adam Savage rave about RPF on Tested) I'm just curious if there's a great set of instructions or older thread with them? This wood glue pouring has me intrigued but also with a ton of questions that I'd appreciate a point in a good direction.

Overall this project looks fantastic and I have enough of the required skills to pull it off (I hope).

Since I'm very new to the forum having just discovered you could actually do this (and hearing Adam Savage rave about RPF on Tested) I'm just curious if there's a great set of instructions or older thread with them? This wood glue pouring has me intrigued but also with a ton of questions that I'd appreciate a point in a good direction.

Welcome. There are a few threads about the builds that people have done. When I made my HIC, I scoured all of them and planned it out in my head before doing anything. It's best if you use the search function. Search for HIC and Han in Carbonite.

Welcome. There are a few threads about the builds that people have done. When I made my HIC, I scoured all of them and planned it out in my head before doing anything. It's best if you use the search function. Search for HIC and Han in Carbonite.

I agree with Jedifyfe. I did research until my eyes began to bleed. I devoured any piece of information I could and had a plan in my head going in. I wasn't kidding when I said that my woodworking skills are at an 8th grade level. I know enough to be dangerous. If I can do this, anyone can. I've found that everyone's build is a little bit different and I have taken several ideas from several different sources and combined them into my project. I owe the RPF and the Dented Helmet a debt of gratitude for making all of this information available. There has been a great deal of trial and error on my part even after seeing what has been done by others.

Hi there great job and the first time I have soon a bare bones construction of this work. I do have one question. I'm sorry if it's been answered before. How come Han who is in binders end up with his hands free and in front of his face?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his arms are bound at the biceps behind his back. It looks pretty clear in this shot. My question is: Where are the binders when he gets unfrozen in ROTJ?
HanBinders_zpscz0tzbzr.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't watched in a bit, but isn't there a shot right before they lower him, maybe even the "I Know" part, where you see the ugnaughts unlock them?

----------------------

Rewatched...

yeah they undo his hands, and the blinders on his shoulders, going to his back, wouldn't be seen in carbonite.

The question is whether they are on him when he's thawed out.... (I haven't looked)

----------------------------

I've looked.

Yup, No binders. Bad continuity!

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the took a cast of ONLY Ford's face and that the body cast is the actor who played Bossk.
FaceCast.JPG

Last edited:
It's only a movie.:rolleyes

Nice work so far.
I have the Han parts and Volvo dash piece I need to mold.
Still need to get the other parts and get going on this.

Once the base layer hardened, I noticed that it had shrunk more than I thought it would. The glue was no longer flush with the edge of the front panel lip. So I began adding more layers of glue. I switched to Elmer's white glue as an experiment and found that it dries way faster than Titebond. However, I was pouring the Elmer's in smaller quantities also. I poured a few areas and let that dry. Then I'd pour over the top of that to create a multi-layered effect.

Photo Mar 11, 6 58 43 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 11, 6 59 17 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 11, 6 59 45 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 11, 7 01 05 PM.jpg

Here I did a test shot of primer to see what it looked like in a uniform color.

Photo Mar 11, 7 00 33 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Building a Fett costume, I'm inevitably going to want a Carbonite Han to go with him and this build is going to be invaluable.

Can I suggest not pooling the glue but smearing it with your hand to make the edges rougher.

It's funny you mention that. I ended up not liking the final look of the poured glue. I didn't really know what I was doing and it ended up looking weird to me. It was way too organic and I decided to cover up most of it with bondo, letting only the glue spots I liked show through. That allowed me to get a texture that I liked and also make the whole thing flush with the edges.

Photo Mar 15, 7 29 10 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 15, 7 28 42 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 15, 7 29 35 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo Mar 15, 7 28 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 15, 7 28 17 PM.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Here is the box being painted and a shot without the plastic. I used 3 coats of Rustoleum "Dark Steel" and topped it with one coat of stainless steel.

20150319_010003000_iOS.jpg20150319_010019000_iOS.jpg20150321_000704000_iOS.jpg20150321_000733000_iOS.jpg20150321_000756000_iOS.jpg20150321_000809000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back