Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

Ok, I did a bit of legwork and found a guy online who is an expert on this sort of thing. He is a Federally licensed Class 2 manufacturer, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I sent him a pic of the part in questoin and here's his reply:

"that is indeed a flash supressor from an MG81 and the allen head screw is not original."

Looks like we found the part.

I'll e-mail him again and see if he can direct me to any clear pictures of this thing.

Patrick

Originally posted by Macklin@Sep 25 2005, 08:00 PM
Ok, I did a bit of legwork and found a guy online who is an expert on this sort of thing.  He is a Federally licensed Class 2 manufacturer, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I sent him a pic of the part in questoin and here's his reply:

"that is indeed a flash supressor from an MG81 and the allen head screw is not original."

Looks like we found the part.

I'll e-mail him again and see if he can direct me to any clear pictures of this thing.

Patrick
[snapback]1083942[/snapback]​

wow, ALL the oldies are coming out for this one . Patrick, can you ask him specifically about the scallops ?

Also, how did you ask your question ? Did he come up with MG81 first or did you suggest it by stating that's what we suspect....

I'VE NOT READ THE WHOLE THREAD.

So now let me ask...

Is the ONLY support for the POSW/Extinguisher claim a single statement about some old-timer who owned a fire supply store saying it was?

Seems pretty thin...

Fire supply store or not, were they (the old-timer and the one makbng the statement) POSITIVE of the origins of the all junk pulled out of that box?

Here's another MG81 pic:

mg81_4_ju88.jpg

note that most of the MG81s do not have flash hiders... probably because there's not much need for one on an airplane.

MG81Z, these don't have flash hiders. Perhaps the "Z" designation did not have them? (edit: did a little research and found that the "Z" designation means two MG81s were attached together with a single trigger, so the "Z" should have no effect on flash hider significance) Nonetheless, the knurling and what appears to be scalloping looks promising...

ju87_mg81z.jpg

however this image, also of an MG81Z, looks a little less promising...

81Zfronttop.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see Lars's pictures a few pages back. At least the head on shot (1st one in this post) is a bit larger.

Last edited by a moderator:
A MG-81 collector I have been in contact with mailed me these pics:

A scan of the barrel jacket assembly from the MG-81 manual
[attachmentid=4143]

He writes:
I have 2 of the flash hiders, but they came from a battle site and are pretty
pitted. [...]
These are slighly different than the one in the picture as they have the
locking notches on the inside instead of the outside, but they were done
both ways. If you want one with the notches on the outside like the picture,
you will probably have to combine the flash hider design with one of the
early booster designs. All of my good boosters have the notches on the inside,
but I do have one pitted one with the notches on the outside.
Flash hider with the notches on the inside (not the correct muffler, but the correct cone)
[attachmentid=4144]
Muffler:
[attachmentid=4145]

I think we can safely say that the flash hider has been identified now. :)
Unfortunately, the correct flash hider is very rare even for the MG81.

Edit: Please don't spread the pictures out from this board.

Unbelievable... Excellent work by everyone, this is truly a magnificent day...... I edited my first post in this thread and title to show that the part has been found.

I am so happy I could cry. :cry :cry :cry

Wasnt it used in that Blue Harvest movie?

Originally posted by Lordsandy@Sep 26 2005, 09:47 AM
Now lets not blow this for everyone by stating it was a part used in Star Wars OK.

Jim S.
[snapback]1084167[/snapback]​

I am totaly floored that the part has been found.

This is how this board used to work and I've got that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that it still can work that way.

To all involved, GREAT WORK.

Jim

Wow, what a great read so far, the above picture is the best visual reference I have seen to date on this flash hider ..... great work to everyone involved.

Congratulations Darth Lars for correctly identifying the part :thumbsup

Perhaps we should rename the piece after you :D

For those stamping there feet earlier in the thread I think there is a lesson to be learned here ;)

Lol - I simply reported what I was told while holding the real part in my hand. I was only trying to help... I'm very happy it was identified.

Now - get off your lazy asses and ID the Obi "sink drain" and "lawnmower gear" :p

:love :thumbsup :thumbsup

Originally posted by moffeaton@Sep 26 2005, 02:57 PM
Lol - I simply reported what I was told while holding the real part in my hand. I was only trying to help... I'm very happy it was identified.

Now - get off your lazy asses and ID the Obi "sink drain" and "lawnmower gear"  :p
[snapback]1084206[/snapback]​

Good to see you're still kicking, Jose. Been a long time.

But in the words of Reverend Jackson, "The question is moot."

Fear not. I was very discreet. ;)

Now...ONE of us needs to get our hands on ONE of these things OR a series of pictures with enough detail AND at the proper angles to allow for mass duplication.

It's go-time, gentlemen.

Patrick

Wanted to add I have been contacted by a very reliable person and he informed me a run is in the making using accurate parts. More details will be made available as they arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back