Hammond cane build log

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TheRealMe, Jun 20, 2015.

1. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Decided to have a go at one of these canes. I started with a wooden dowel and moulded super sculpey around it. I have an egg for the size of the amber bit on top. I will be making a mould for the top bit, and I've been collecting crain flies to cast into them. I also picked up some clear casting resin and some tenting color for getting the amber color.

Getting ready with the dowel.
    IMG_5410.jpeg
    and with some sulpey it started to take shape!
    IMG_7867.jpeg
    shaping the connection between the vertebras.
    IMG_4974.jpeg
    some white paint (I cured the sculpey with the heat gun)
    IMG_8618.jpeg
    finally I worked with the air brush to get a bone like finish, basically layering different colors and lightly through them to bend.
    IMG_1308.JPG
    Close up!
    IMG_1307.JPG
    Now to work on the amber, I'll keep you posted.

Stoney likes this.
  2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good!

TheRealMe likes this.
  3. TomVDJ

TomVDJ Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work! Looking forward to the next pics...

4. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Ok so I made a two part mould of an egg, and put my least favorite crane fly in as a test. it came out ok. but I think the resin ether got too hot, or was disturbed during the curing. The amber looks like it has fractures in side it, they look like sheets of reflective areas, I'm gonna pull another today and use less MEKP so it should cure slower, and have less heat. I will use another crane fly, but I have one I;m saving until I get this right.
    Looks awesome tho!
    11652228_10206202926059564_1188634179_n.jpg
    Not bad for a scratch build I started a few days ago, but I am gonna get a better pull for the top.
    P.S. I have photos of the mould making process too, but they're on my friends phone because I couldn't take photos and lay the silicone at the same time. as soon as he sends me the photos I'll upload them

Nexus6 and CT7567 like this.
  5. TomVDJ

Looks like a great cane. Can you post some close up pictures of the topper like it is now?

Planning on doing a run of these?

6. Luke0312

Luke0312 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work.

I believe the fractures/cracks you're referring to are from heat. I've had some form before, the thing was, they always originated from some point on the bug.

7. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

ok did a new bug, thing looks awesome!
    Photo on 6-23-15 at 1.47 AM.jpg
    I would do a run if I had the interest, and if I wasn't stepping on toes. I'm already thinking about version 2, Which would have more of a tapper to the bottom. I would make a mould and do them in resin.
    Is anyone else doing these now? I mean aside form crap on ebay?(not all the ones on ebay looked bad, but most.
    I mostly just wanted one for myself, but now I have local friends asking for one, so I may have to make a mould anyhow :/ Also my prototype is clay and I may want a resin copy of it for myself too, the clay may not hold up. Sad I already did an awesome paint job on it!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes they do come from points on the bug, it could be that the heat is causing moisture from inside the bug to escape and cause the cracks.
    So ether less heat. of dehydrate the crane flies some how.

Oh and the old bug is at the shop. I will take some close ups of it for you.
    I will also post photos of the mould and the processes and stuff.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Nice work
    A run would be a good idea and I'm sure there would be interest. It all depends on final price once sadly nowadays seems that money is always too short!
    Keep us posted

9. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

I would likely do a kit option to keep the price down. The part I wouldn't want to do a ton of is the air brushing. So let people paint there own? I don't know. that might the hardest part.

10. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Selling it as a kit looks a great idea and it'll sure keep the price down. Other options are unpainted versions or parts of the piece (the "egg" only, for exemple)
    Thanks

11. Marc Wagner

Marc Wagner Member

I would totally be down for a kit! Amazing job!

12. TJack

TJack Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I`d be interested in at least an egg if you decide to offer them

13. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Ok, I have to look into the rules for doing runs here. I have two runs going on in the R2 builders club right now, but never did one here. I'll plan on doing more tops to see how consistent I can get them. I will then start an interest thread and go form there. I will also need to figure out the cost involved in these and come up with a price.
    Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

14. stevenentabita

stevenentabita New Member

Very nice made!

15. OzJames

OzJames New Member

Its looking great, looking forward to seeing it progress. I would also love a hammond cane so id be interested if you ever do a run.

16. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

If you decide for a run and open a new interest / sale thread plase inform at this thread (in case we might miss it)
    The simpler and cheaper you be able to make it I'm sure the more interested people you'll get. Usually these canes are a bit pricey so that makes a lot of people loose interest. Also please inform shipping cost to US and Europe.
    Again nice work.
    Thank you

17. Malphas

Malphas Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in a kit. Looks good.

18. DKMurphy

DKMurphy New Member

I put the pictures of making the amber egg mold into our Flickr account. Here is the link to the Hammond Cane Pictures

TheRealMe likes this.
  19. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

^Just an FYI, DKmurphy and I are partners, so he may occasionally post updates to some of my build logs, and eventual runs that may or may not occur.

20. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

just a heads up, I just completed version two. This time I turned the whole thing from wood, and the whole thing is way more accurate. I'm waiting on more crane flies right now, but I will be posting photos.

21. TomVDJ

Completely wood? That soonds great! That was one of the reasons I loved the canes from Rylo (the first ones): they were completely made of wood and sturdy as hell. Seems like I'd better safe some funds to get one of yours too when you would do a run ;-). You will have to become a premium member, but I guess you get the cost of a membership back quite fast when you do a run of these.

22. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Ya, becoming a premium member is something I've been meaning to do for a while now.

23. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

New one is on the right, old on the left. The amber egg on the new one is my first one place on top just for the photo.
    The new one is all wood.

IMG_1376.JPG

Attached Files:

Raiders March likes this.
  24. TomVDJ

Nice. Only one remark: the topper is a bit too "long" in my opinion. Should be a bit more round. Not a sphere, off course, but now I have the impression its a bit too long...

TheRealMe likes this.
  25. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Right you are, the good news is that it appears too long because it's not recessed into the cane yet. I don't want to use that one because it has too small a crane fly in it, when I get some more flies I'll pull another one, and recess it into the cane properly.
    Thanks again,

26. TomVDJ

Don't know if that's the problem. I think the old one is a bit too long too. I did some photoshop (I know, that's easy to do ;) and made the topper of your old cane a bit less long, and a bit smaller overall too, and I guess that shape is far more accurate. Original left, photoshopped right:

Hammond Cane.jpg

I know it's easy to photoshop, but not so easy to do in reality, but you're well on the way to make one of best Hammond Cane replica's, here (made out of wood, using the correct bug, great paint job, etc...), so why not go all the way and have the topper have a screen accurate shape too...

TheRealMe likes this.
  27. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

That does look good, let me ask you another question.
    How much taper do you think the canes need, I've seen some that taper way down at the bottom, and I thought it was too much. On my new cane I only use a small amount of taper, and I like that better. Also do you think the topper should be slightly flat on one side, or should it be more idealized, and round? just curious on your thoughts. I think I may have 4 or 5 prototypes by the time I'm done :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  28. TomVDJ

I have some nice bluray screencaps at home (I'm at work right now). I'll post them this evening. The screen used topper indeed is not symmetrical, but I guess most people prefer the "idealized" topper (me included). Also in many scnes the cane is very narrow at the bottom. Prop Builders cane more or less has that shape. Rylo's cane doesn't become narrower to the bottom, but this doesn't bother me, to be honest. Your cane also stays the same width more or less. This makes the cane more robust, and I like that.

Anyway, I'll try to post those screencaps this evening. I thought there were some where the rubber cap is clearly visible...

29. Luke0312

Luke0312 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Personally, I prefer canes having more taper. Despite it possibly being less functional (but really, who is using these canes to actually walk), it is more screen accurate. That's what I always prefer in my props, since it is after all an attempt to create a replica of another item seen in a film.

On the topper, I have a reject cast (too much catalyst used, so it is pale yellow and has the fractures inside radiating from the bug). Once I pulled it from the mold and saw it, I knew I wouldn't use it, so I just set it aside, so it would still need to be smoothed/polished before molding. It's not the style topper I use on my canes, I use the mold/casts from the molds I bought from Prop Builder. This one is from another mold I made using a porcelain egg (it doesn't have the true egg shape, it is more evenly sized on both ends). It might be just what you're looking for though.

Here's a pic of it with the topper I use for comparison.
    [​IMG]

If you want it to clean up and mold for use on your canes, you can have it. Just let me know.

30. TomVDJ

Here are some bluray caps were the cane is rather visible. The rubber cap can be seen in the third and sixth picture... You czn see that the cap begins right where the 12th "part" of the cane stops. So nothing from that bottom piece beneath that 12th part of the cane is visible, since the cap slides over that bottom piece.

I also have the impression that the topper is more round in scenes were the cane is not in close up. The close up shots have the topper that is slightly flat on some sides. I guess this topper had the nicest bug in it, so that's why it was used for the close-ups?

I would also be carefull with the dark paint in the rims between the parts of the cane. In the screencaps these more or less have the same color as the cane itself (see last picture, for instance).

Cane001.jpg Cane002.jpg Cane003.jpg Cane004.jpg Cane005.jpg Cane006.jpg Cane007.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  31. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Wow, those are a great help. I see his cane tapers WAY down. I personally like having them less tapered. My new one has a nice slight taper, while my first one doesn't have one at all. I think it needs a little taper, but I don't like it to get real real narrow though. What I may do is offer hand turned ones completely out of wood, in which case I can make them to order, how ever much taper can be requested, and also make molds of one for a resin option. Of course the price for the hand turner wood ones would be higher, and availability would depend on my time.
    The way I sell to the R2 builders is to only accept payment once the parts are ready to ship, I do this in fear of getting behind, not accepting money before hand prevents that happening. So most likely It would operate like a list of people that I move through as I can. If I get to someone and they don't have the money I just move to the next, and the person can ether choose to be moved down or can take themselves off the list.

- - - Updated - - -
    that looks great, are you tenting your resin? I got a few different tents to mix in, I can make the color of the amber anything form perfectly clear to maple sirup

32. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Just dropping of some photos of my latest crane flies
    IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1419.JPG

MAKE BELIEVE likes this.
  33. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In point of fact. My cane does indeed have a gradual taper at the bottom. Measure the top vertebrae against the bottom. I opted to split the difference toward the bottom for a bit more stability but it does indeed taper.:thumbsup

Tip for the OP: The cane is supposed to be a fossilized dino tail. A lot of people presume it's bamboo. Not sure if you knew or not.

Nice crane flies!!

34. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Hey rylo!
    Thanks for stopping by! The whole reason I'm working on one of these canes is to accompany one of your cryo cans for which I'm on the soft reserve list for, and might I say am pretty excited for ;)
    I do know about the dinosaur bones, and my new one does tapper, not as much as some, but it does have a slight tapper.
    Just curious if you have any info on how much people have sold the topers for in the past?

35. Rylo

As per our guidelines, we're not allowed to discuss pricing for proposed runs on the main forum. Just in case your thread gets pulled in that direction.

I couldn't even guess on the toppers, anyway. Kinda like asking, "how much does a red car cost?" Depends on who made it, quality, etc.

My standard answer for this question is generally, "Whatever the market allows."

Good luck!

36. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Ah, thanks for the heads up!

Rylo likes this.
  37. TomVDJ

You're right. Top indeed is broader then the bottom. As you said, it's a bit more subtle than the movie cane, but I like the stability it adds to the cane. Prop builders bottom of the cane is very narrow, and I'm always afraid damaging it when handling the cane. Don't have that feeling with yours...

TheRealMe likes this.
  38. Rylo

Yeah, it was by design. I split the difference between the hero cane and the wrap canes. It's a minor difference but really adds to the stability at the bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

No problem. What did you use on your tops? I like the color.

39. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

The tops are just clear polyester casting resin, with run of the mill yellow tint, the composite store I go to here in town ordered it by mistake thinking it was pigment, so I grabbed some. It is really dark in the container as it is very concentrated, only takes a few milliliters to get the results I like. If I mix up say 100 milliliters it may only need one or two drops. The other issue I had was the resin cracking as it gassed off. that was while using 2% MEKP, after reducing to 1% it hasn't done that.

40. Rylo

You didn't use cast-n-craft on those did you?

41. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Not sure what cast-N-craft is,

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  42. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

TheRealMe likes this.
  43. TomVDJ

Also like the shape of those new toppers. Great work!

TheRealMe likes this.
  44. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  45. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Easy-to-find, cheap clear casting resin sold in local craft stores that does NOT like to cure 100%...

46. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

ah, No I buy all mine from the local composite/fiberglass store. I mostly see surfboard manufacture guys in there, and boat guys. Pretty sure they all think I'm nuts.

47. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

We're all nuts!

48. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Active Member

Here here!

49. gerrysoul

gerrysoul New Member

I would be very interested in buying either a full cane or a kit. which ever you decide to do i would definitely be up for buying it.

TheRealMe likes this.
  50. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. THAT'S what it is. I always thought it was bamboo until I came here and saw some replicas. Then I realized it was supposed to look like bone, but had no idea what kind of bones it could be representing.

Rylo likes this.