Halloween Movie Marathon 2011

Goonie

Sr Member
Anyone doing a Halloween Movie Marathon this month?

Similar threads have been started on other boards so I thought I'd get one going here. Some people are watching one movie per day in the lead-up to Halloween. Some people are going hard-core and watching 100 movies. I'm just trying to beat my last year's record of 38.

I'm not just watching horror movies, but stuff that feels Halloween-ish. So far this weekend I've watched:

Scarecrow of Romney Marsh Parts I, II, & III
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Zombieland
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I've been debating it. I meant to do this last year but never got around to it.

I tend to go mostly for 80s horror, though.

I'm going to give this a try this year. Probably won't get a lot of movies in but im going to try and get a few in with some of my friends over the weekends.
I will definatly get in The Lost Boys.

I agree with the Saw films. I've seen them all, the first was awesome. The farther down the line they go the more they become simple gore films. I will say that this last one made me feel a little bit uncomfortable at times, maybe its because im growing up and the thought of something hurting my family really bothers me. But I did like the twist this time.

I watch horror flicks year round so this October I might just watch Christmas movies.. :lol

Seriously though, I've been waiting for the Halloween selections to show up at WalMart or something, but no luck yet.

Seriously though, I've been waiting for the Halloween selections to show up at WalMart or something, but no luck yet.

I've been waiting for the Halloween movie rack with horrors at Walmart too. They did finally put one out the other day, but it just has kids stuff like Scared Shrekless. Real Canadian Superstore has a decent rack of older Halloween/horror movies.

The first one was great and the second one was just "ok". Skip all the sequels they were pretty bad

I'm a huge SAW saga fan but I'd have to agree. V, VI, and VII got pretty goofy. It probably should have ended at IV.

The first SAW was one of those movies that redefined the horror genre though. It's simplicity was what made it so great.

I actually got to see the last movie the night before it was released. They did a invitation only showing of it. I've still got my special glasses that say "I Saw it first!" on them.

My wife and I do this every year! That's all we really watch anyways:lol Started with....
Saw
Resident evil
Halloween
Sweeny Todd
Candyman
Teeth (classic!!!) Who does'nt love vagina dentata!
Black Christmas ( This was a new one for me )

Between IFC, Chillier, and the Encore channels, we really don't have to roll out the Dvd's

Love Halloween! We are alaways looking for something new, and crazy, we have not seen before

Every October I do this. I've already started... though slowly. I watch movies I've already seen and find new ones to watch. The typical list goes like this...

Scream 1, 2 and hopefully 4 (3 is virtually unwatchable)
The Exorcist
A Nightmare on Elm Street 1-4 (because that's what I have on DVD)
The Fog
They Live
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Them
Halloween 1, 2, 3 and H20 (those are what I have on DVD, but will watch the other non-Zombie ones on television if I can catch them)
Trick-r-Treat
Hocus Pocus
The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror
The various Halloween episodes of Roseanne

These are just what pop into my head now. There will be many more... including classics, B-horror, and new finds.

I try to watch 20 or so horror movies every October, a mix of old comfort food faves and new stuff. Last night was Friday the 13th VII, today is VIII, tomorrow I think I'll watch the Thing, since I can barely remember anything about it. I'd like to catch the Descent and the Ruins again. I'm in the minority, but I love Rob Zombie's Halloween movies, so I'll see those too. Maybe the Mist. I haven't seen Creature From the Black Lagoon in ages, so maybe that. I'll almost certainly watch Nightmare Before Xmas on Halloween Eve.

In October love watching Halloween, original, Nightmare on Elm street, Trick'r'Treat, Silver Bullet, Evil Dead, Idle Hands is a good one.

Recent viewings in bold:

Zombieland
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry-Potter-And-The-Half-Blood-Princea.jpg

"Watch out you might get what you're after
Cool babies strange but not a stranger
I'm an ordinary guy
Burning down the house!"

I think this is my least favourite of the series. I'm not saying it sucks, it's still a great movie, it's just the pacing - it's slower than the others which probably bores some kids. I think this one is best viewed with Deathly Hallows Part 1 - in my opinion, the last 30 minutes or so with the introduction of the horcruxes.

I was hoping to watch Deathly Hallows Part 1 on Blu-Ray tonight, but didn't get around to it as I'm working on some resumes and job applications. Tomorrow night will be a movie night. I'm hoping Part 2 ends up at one of the local 2nd run theaters here before Halloween - want to see it on the big screen again.

Recent viewings in bold:

Zombieland
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-1a.jpg

The beginning of the end - that is until J.K. Rowling comes back and writes books on the adventures of the Potter kids. Definitely the most mature, adult, of the series. A naked CGI Harry and Hermione making out? Yup, definitely adult in nature. Hey, anybody notice in the animated sequence about the Deathly Hallows, Death looks like General Grievous from Star Wars? And actually the style of the characters look like it was borrowed from The Clone Wars. This was the first HP movie I watched on Blu-Ray. Looked great, but a little disappointed in the amount of extras. When funds become available, I'll definitely be upgrading all these to the Ultimate Edition sets.

Just found out Deathly Hallows Part 2 will be hitting the 2nd run theater on Friday (already saw it on IMAX). Gonna go see it as a matinee on Saturday so I can wrap-up the series. Now I can head onto something else. American Werewolf in London maybe? Or The original Invisible Man?

Recent viewings in bold:

Zombieland
The Invisible Man (1933)

TheInvisibleMan.jpg

Even when you're wrapped up in gauze, you can be stylish.

The Invisible Man (1933)

Decided to delve into my Universal Studios Monsters Legacy Collection as I realized there are a bunch I haven't watched yet. I started with The Invisible Man with Claude Rains. Also stars Gloria Stuart (old Rose in James Cameron's Titanic). Very good. The effects for that time were done extremely well. I liked the use of humor as Dr Griffin went increasingly mad. If you haven't seen it, the included documentary "Now You See Him: The Invisible Man Revealed" is also worth a look. I haven't seen the sequels in this set yet so that's what I'm watching next. I'm hoping these sets hit Blu-Ray.

If you like some of the black and white classics, you should check out "Freaks". I don't think a movie could be made like this one now days!

So far I have watched

Children of the Corn 2
Children of the corn 3
Deathwatch
Trick r treat

I love this month wish it was longer like 40 days

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back