Halliwax's weird V3 theory

How about a arm? .. a leg is gonna push it.. I need both of those to ride my bike.. but if you insist…

I’ll look into it.
I’m not putting my MK1 in anymore so I’ll need a different source profile…

And I know you Danny I’m not giving you the crap with the half side chunked out it would make ME cry lol

Well done! Great detective work BRRogers.
Right place at the right time! Story of my life this year.
inspector clouseau GIF

81B6C37B-4444-4DB3-9DA1-E0C1D7313557.jpeg
Well, going off the propstore ruler photos…
I had my MK1 handwheel turned ONLY out a few threads (the assembly I have won’t let it go farther at the moment)
It seems like the handwheel on the original wooden buck would indicate it was unthreaded about 1/4”ish further than what I managed.
Those numbers translate onto the ruler (11-1/4” length in the propstore buck) visually matches what I’ve got here sans the pommel which is too close to the booster. (Mine hits at 11” right now)

Dimensionally, that would indicate to me that the shrinkage wasn’t majorly significant with the metal casting… just that the buck was longer than the final stunt assemblies

C6001C87-22AA-4156-AAA9-6A54085C8E2E.jpeg

Also worth noting..
the windvane /balance pipe and forward pommel areas would have required the most creative reshaping on the original… and given what I have those are two areas I messed up in this regard… the variance here however makes more sense to me now- I’m more and more convinced.
If I were to do it again I would move
The windvane up towards the Balance pipe and try to get more length from the pommel. All of the required material off the MK1 to make the wooden blank as it was would then be there- and more interestingly, would make complete sense

Last edited:
View attachment 1517502
Well, going off the propstore ruler photos…
I had my MK1 handwheel turned ONLY out a few threads (the assembly I have won’t let it go farther at the moment)
It seems like the handwheel on the original wooden buck would indicate it was unthreaded about 1/4”ish further than what I managed.
Those numbers translate onto the ruler (11-1/4” length in the propstore buck) visually matches what I’ve got here sans the pommel which is too close to the booster. (Mine hits at 11” right now)

Dimensionally, that would indicate to me that the shrinkage wasn’t majorly significant with the metal casting… just that the buck was longer than the final stunt assemblies

View attachment 1517503
Wow, that‘s really fascinating. A few weeks ago, I had the metal alloy of my original blank analyzed via X-ray fluorescence analysis, but that‘s stuff for a whole new thread.

...Dimensionally, that would indicate to me that the shrinkage wasn’t majorly significant with the metal casting… just that the buck was longer than the final stunt assemblies...

This I can verify. All of the shrinkage from what I've done really comes from the type of metal cooked up to cast the hilts. Casting alu shrinks the least, ~6% of surface area, from what I've used, but extruded shrinks the absolute most, ~10%. The bottom of the booster also gets some meat cut off on the V2 and V3..

Wow, that‘s really fascinating. A few weeks ago, I had the metal alloy of my original blank analyzed via X-ray fluorescence analysis, but that‘s stuff for a whole new thread.

Please let us know!

Last edited:
Our fellow RPF’ler LOM brought me in touch with some scientists at the Museum für Naturkunde here in Berlin. They normally analyze the composition of meteorites. We told them about my blank and what it was made for, and they agreed to examine it in order to determine the exact aluminum alloy that was used to produce the lightsaber blanks. I‘m going to bump Nathan to post the results in this thread.

LOM is wicked busy lately, I haven’t talked to him in a few weeks. i hope everything is ok with him. I know last we talked he was really up against the wall with his workload

Just from the teaser pic, it looks to be shaping up as casting Alu. This is from the technical datasheet I have on the stuff I buy (a356 and a356.2), composition of casting aluminium is:
Aluminum, Al91.3 - 93.2 %91.3 - 93.2 %As remainder
Copper, Cu<= 0.10 %<= 0.10 %
Iron, Fe<= 0.12 %<= 0.12 %
Magnesium, Mg0.30 - 0.45 %0.30 - 0.45 %
Manganese, Mn<= 0.05 %<= 0.05 %
Other, each<= 0.05 %<= 0.05 %
Other, total<= 0.15 %<= 0.15 %
Silicon, Si6.5 - 7.5 %6.5 - 7.5 %
Titanium, Ti<= 0.20 %<= 0.20 %
Zinc, Zn<= 0.05 %<= 0.05 %

This along with the work BRRogers has done leads me to believe the making of these hilts weren't done by the guys at Elstree at all. This sounds more and more like the work the guys who made the parts for R2 had done. Could they have made the buck in-house since they may have had the Obi Hero on hand and had the hilts forged at a foundry somewhere else? Was it easy to get casting alu then?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back