Halliwax's first GRAFLEX build

Great job on your red button assemblies, Danny.

When I read the part about your "black caulk" conversation, I imagined having the same convo with my own father. Hilarious!

The epoxy I used actually was clear, not that being clear is in any way better. I think the black works just as well if not better. Also, I like your use of clamps. On my ESB, there is a slight upward bend in a few of my T Tracks (toward the end with the Kobold clip), which I believe is from not having them clamped down properly. Great job on how to do this very cleanly, Danny.

thanks andy! im in no rush, thats basically my motto in life lol "no rush, it will get done either way" yeah my father looked at me like i had 6 heads when i asked him where to get black caulk lol sometimes when your mind is on other things you forget the simplest. like that snap ring idea would have been excellent! i use them all the time repairing u-joints and ball joints, they keep the part stuck into the part... cant believe i goosed up and forgot that. i looked up ways to remove super glue but fear either damaging the aluminum button, giving it a weather stained look (not a TFA look) im going for, the other way i read was with a heat gun. i have a industrial heat gun in the shop, but fear it would melt the red button.. now that im playing with this graflex (replica) i now want another one to hone my new "learning's" on

as always thanks for the positive comments, you know i can handle negative comments too! please feel free everyone to share both sides, i feel you can not learn when hiding the negative

danny

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent ... well done :)

Chaim

thanks chaim! are you still on vacation?! ive really taken all your advice, not just towards me but all the threads ive read with you in it and applied that to this build. with you in the graflex boys you've made it very easy and a comfortable build for me and i truly appreciate the help!

Thanks ... good to now I could assist even from a far and via one of my over 3000 posts now here on therpf and yep ... away from home, I'm taking care of my brother's cat while he is on a real vacation in the Jura area in France near the Swiss boarder ... the weather has been bloody hot with 40º yesterday as an altime high whilest the start of the Tour de France began in Utrecht ... now they are coursing in the rain with heavy gales ... finish today is at 'Neeltje Jans' a dam in Zeeland ... looking forward to your progress :)

Chaim

Good job Danny, and how sad for Ruby and the bulldog. I hope they are both Ok?

its only a good job, because im using good parts! your parts are amazing roy, everything matches great! Ruby and i have another date tomorrow night, Bentley (the bulldog) is going back to boston tomorrow for some more exams. what really sucks about it is hes not in any pain as of right now, we all know what will eventually come from this, and we dont believe in drugging the animal and keeping him in pain only to keep them with us because of our own personal attachment. But we dont want to put him down if he has 6-12 months left in him which the doctors say is quite possible.. its a very hard thing to understand and deal with... im a big animal person, and even a animal activist to a point, so this really sucks...

heres my buddy
bentley.jpg

this is my girlfriends dog, Armani hes 11 and such a "chill" dog, he doesnt care about anything, i can put glasses on him, costumes. he was almost darth vader/boba fett last year! this year for sure hes going as a star wars character for halloween.
armani.jpg

you raise children to end up growing up and going on there own, where Dogs are your patterns for the rest of their lifes.. i have a strong companionship with my animals because they have always been there for me when i needed them..

ahh, i gonna stay positive. on a more "prop" topic i hope to have the grips done this week, then pledging the cut outs in the grips and installing the screws. i dont know if i should drill the holes and screw them in, or just cut the screws short and glue them into the grips. i like the idea of screwing them in, gives extra grip on holding them down to the flash. decisions decisions...

Thanks ... good to now I could assist even from a far and via one of my over 3000 posts now here on therpf and yep ... away from home, I'm taking care of my brother's cat while he is on a real vacation in the Jura area in France near the Swiss boarder ... the weather has been bloody hot with 40º yesterday as an altime high whilest the start of the Tour de France began in Utrecht ... now they are coursing in the rain with heavy gales ... finish today is at 'Neeltje Jans' a dam in Zeeland ... looking forward to your progress :)

Chaim

oh man tour de france, the bike race? is your brothering competing?! i cycle recreational, i never competed but they bike threw my town once every summer. they set up a pit stop and i always go to check it out, great time and SERIOUS bikes! heres my ride, my girlfriend got me this bike last year for my birthday
my%20bike%20600%20x%20450.jpg

both%20bikes%20450%20x%20600.jpg

My brother is on a real well earned vacation ... I'm the one who has to take care of his garden, chores and his cat, who's as lazy as can be during this hot weather ... making pancakes later for comfort food :wacko

Chaim

Great bikes by the way ... I'll take a regular bike this week to Amsterdam ... for some sight seeing, SW merchandise shopping and a couple of museums :)

ahh, i gonna stay positive. on a more "prop" topic i hope to have the grips done this week, then pledging the cut outs in the grips and installing the screws. i dont know if i should drill the holes and screw them in, or just cut the screws short and glue them into the grips. i like the idea of screwing them in, gives extra grip on holding them down to the flash. decisions decisions...

Nah.. Just screw those buggers in! It's only a piece of metal!

Nice dogs and bikes by the way :)

So, what was the resolution on the T-track thing? I've yet to buy any and if anyone and would prefer to wait and get the rightist stuff possible; if that knowledge indeed exists, and if the answer isn't ridiculously expensive.

So, what was the resolution on the T-track thing? I've yet to buy any and if anyone and would prefer to wait and get the rightist stuff possible; if that knowledge indeed exists, and if the answer isn't ridiculously expensive.

t track thing? as for track i only use the best! supplied by wannawanga.com ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ordered almost every part wannawanga sells and all have been perfect.

t track thing? as for track i only use the best! supplied by wannawanga.com ;)

Awesome thread Danny! Great work!

Is.... is this a Larbel replica? The... the really old ones by Larry Larbel? Asking because the box you got it in says Larbel, and I have no information whatsoever about the Larbel, other than I know it's old and made by Larry Larbel. I also haven't heard of a replica with "PB" stamped in place of "BY" on the pommel :) This is interesting!

Currently compiling information about all the replicas and would love some insight on this particular replica!! :D
http://www.graflexbank.com/replicahilts.html

EDIT: SCORE! YES! THAT'S A LARBEL, RIGHT?

I found this comment: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206&p=3973582&viewfull=1#post3973582

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I've tried searching for this for a couple weeks now, finally!!!!! @halliwax (Can people be tagged like that?) Would you mind if I used some of your images on the Graflex Bank? :)

Last edited:
Feel free to use any photos buddy!!

If u need any angled pictures feel free to ask.

Is.... is this a Larbel replica? The... the really old ones by Larry Larbel? Asking because the box you got it in says Larbel, and I have no information whatsoever about the Larbel, other than I know it's old and made by Larry Larbel. I also haven't heard of a replica with "PB" stamped in place of "BY" on the pommel :) This is interesting!

Currently compiling information about all the replicas and would love some insight on this particular replica!! :D
http://www.graflexbank.com/replicahilts.html

EDIT: SCORE! YES! THAT'S A LARBEL, RIGHT?

I found this comment: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206&p=3973582&viewfull=1#post3973582

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I've tried searching for this for a couple weeks now, finally!!!!! @halliwax (Can people be tagged like that?) Would you mind if I used some of your images on the Graflex Bank? :)

one thing i have learned with larbel is a easy way to spot on is the end of the cell has 2 holes drilled into it already. the reasoning behind this is the camera flash that was sent to china to be reverse engineered was a lightsaber conversion. he removed the grips and D-ring. with the d ring removed it exposed the 2 holes left behind by the rivets. the shop in china took it as thought he wanted the holes drilled into the bottom, so they produced them with the holes in the bottom.

thats what i was told.

it makes it alittle tough with the holes in the bottom on already for attached a kobold. but its do-able.

another quick spot is the buttons come in 3 pieces, top shield, red button, and the bottom ring. they didnt come with springs, many people used a rolled up ball of paper

The Larbel Graflex I had back in the early 2000s came without holes drilled in the bottom, though. I had to put them in myself. I remember because I accidentally drilled them in in the wrong orientation, so the d-ring assembly ended up 90° off the correct position.

The Larbel Graflex I had back in the early 2000s came without holes drilled in the bottom, though. I had to put them in myself. I remember because I accidentally drilled them in in the wrong orientation, so the d-ring assembly ended up 90° off the correct position.

hmmm? maybe there was a run after the pre drilled run? a member contacted me a few years ago explaining this story to me and how to spot the larbel real quick

I've also now seen 2 more larbels go up on eBay, with "unknown maker". but i could tell because of the pre drilled holes, and multi-piece buttons.

Does the larbel have any noteworthy visual inaccuracies? I'm finishing up all the Graflex Reborn information I got from the man himself, and about to get working on Larbel stuff :)

The finish on the Larbel is wrong -- it's not as shiny as a real Graflex. It appears to possibly be brushed nickel rather than brushed chrome as on the real thing.

I'm also convinced that the tube used for the body is metric rather than imperial, resulting in the flash being a hair too thin compared to the real deal. I had to wrap tape around the top of my Larbel 3-cell bottom in order to prevent it from rattling around in the real clamp on a 2-cell conversion.

The finish on the Larbel is wrong -- it's not as shiny as a real Graflex. It appears to possibly be brushed nickel rather than brushed chrome as on the real thing.

I'm also convinced that the tube used for the body is metric rather than imperial, resulting in the flash being a hair too thin compared to the real deal. I had to wrap tape around the top of my Larbel 3-cell bottom in order to prevent it from rattling around in the real clamp on a 2-cell conversion.

Vintages are nickel plated brass, are they not?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back