Halliwax's first GRAFLEX build

Did he say the excluder was from a mini cooper or something? Or did Roy just find some from a car in that era... I'm really curious.. the material doesn't match up with the track in the archives

Did he say the excluder was from a mini cooper or something? Or did Roy just find some from a car in that era... I'm really curious.. the material doesn't match up with the track in the archives

The Mini Cooper draft excluder was just a suggestion from me. It was a result from a quick search and it looks like it and it's very English!

oh man I'm stuck at work and this news comes out!!! I just read real quick this morning

I have never heard the term "draft excluder" because, we just call them weather gaskets so it took me awhile for it to click!

Mini Cooper is a great idea, others would be MG, renaults, BMW all common vehicles in UK at that time

once I get home tonight ( which won't be until almost midnight ...sigh... ) I'm going on a mad hunt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh my god the anxiety!! now this damn tapatalk app is locking up!!

Couldn't it be that he used rubber excluder but as production began it was less than ideal for repeat handling and thus either casts were made or similar alternatives were sought? I thought I recalled Hamill saying his hand was cut or pinched by the grips* because at one point they were metal?

*This would obviously make Hamill's reference not be during ANH since he was not dueling anyone in that film.

lol I've restored the entire car, no T shape weather striping there

one thing I just doubled check was he didn't say it was "automotive" draft excluder.

being in the construction field I have worked installing many doors and windows and the t tracks being draft excluders ( or how I say weather stripping) for doors and windows makes perfect sense to me now, hear me out

if we place a t track down on the table with the center section facing up, just like how it sits on the graflex.

now with it sitting on the table like that, the center section point up, fits into the grooves of the frame of the window. the weather stripping fits I between the actual frame and window frame.

now here's another reason why I say it's window weather stripping...

still imagine the track sitting down on the table like I've said before, the under side of the track as that little half moon arch in it. that is to releave pressure while in between the window and window frame. it acts as a vacuum less channel allowing the window to move up and down. if there was no arch there the window would get stuck

I can get into further detail tonight once in home and on a computer this phone typing sucks

being in the automotive trade as well ( dad builds British race cars) I've never seen t shaped weathering stripping, doesn't mean it doesn't exisit, I just see it more feasible being window or door weather stripping

I can arrange that ;)

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/lightningdan/Mobile Uploads/dmc1600x448.jpg

rubber track?!?! unbelievable! this is epic!!

Me too, heh.

18934390246_edd4c2b325_z.jpg

I recall reading somewhere that he had a spool of it for making his own... I remember thinking "Spool? How would it bend around a spool?"

another thing that just popped into my head. maybe it was weather stripping they use under the door!! it would have a adhesive backing to allow it to stick to the bottom of the door

always nice to meet another dmc brother ;)

Nice find Roy! I thought I'd looked into weather stripping a long time ago...

the casting of grips I'm almost sure happened by ROTJ just look at the ROTJ graflex stunts' round cornered grips. There's a ding in one of them to show the white material underneath.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry again I'm on my phone so bare with me here are some examples of what I'm talking about

http://fortikur.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Installing-Weather-Stripping-Door.jpg

http://www.vintagegaragedoor.com/sitebuilder/images/118-1817-250x187.jpg

oooh now we're talking! You're on a roll dude

He actually mentioned draught excluders from a car, he even mentioned the mini. Not sure if it is the force, or he is reading this thread and pulling our legs :lol, and sorry halliwax for using your thread inappropriately :D

He actually mentioned draught excluders from a car, he even mentioned the mini. Not sure if it is the force, or he is reading this thread and pulling our legs :lol, and sorry halliwax for using your thread inappropriately :D

I don't mind it at all, I'm really enjoying this hunt! So he did say it was used in a car, this makes me really think now....

Yeah! The hunt is on!

No, I don't think they went through all the trouble of trimming the edges. Besides, you would be able to tell if they did.

while working today i decided to take a picture of what i was trying to explain about the inside of the window track. now remember this is today so these vinyl windows have the t track built right into the window siding, but back in the old days windows were made of wood and had channels bored out to install window chain wheels, aluminum slide plates, and even early weather gasket track. those these photos are of todays windows, it would have looked the same back then except the t track would be pitched or glued or tacked in

win1.jpg

win3.jpg

this picture here shows the profile perfect, now in the old days the plastic/rubbery weather strip would fall into place here

win2.jpg

here is another view trying to explain the location of the track, these "tracks" keep a air air in and out of the window while closed and prevents drafts, BUT this also works as a slide and helps break the vacuum lock of the window while its in the track, if these tracks weren't here the window would be tough to move up and down

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back