HAL 9000 Punch Cards

Markus

Sr Member
While looking up some details on the HAL logo font, I just stumbled over HAL's punch card.
This is briefly seen at 1:10:26 in the movie, when Dave requests a hard copy of the AE-35 unit failure message.
1630598509809.png

I vaguely remember having seen something on those punch cards somewhere in these forums, but I am not able find it anymore.
Google finds these results:
and
which both have rather detailed images:
2001-A-Space-Odyssey-Hal-9000-AE35-Failure-Report-Hard-copy-replica-1.jpg
MRP-MR-2001-AE35-CB_800x.jpg

The second link mentions that the cards are approx. 3" x 5".
The first link, on yourprops.com is from user "nuclearsphinx" who used to be here, but has been banned. (... there are a few users here that have crossed my path on therpf.com in the past years that have now been banned - since these seemed to be rather reasonable folks, I'm wondering what gets you banned here...)

The two images have significant similarities:
They use the same "HAL9000" font (but a slightly different background blue), they agree on the pattern of the holes, and the texts are very close (but not identical):

* --- the "yourprops" version:
HAL 9000 FAULT PREDICTION CENTER
REPORT - 2045
PROBABILITY 100% A-E-35 UNIT
WILL GO 100% FAILURE WITHIN 72
HOURS - CONFIDENCE 100%

RECOMMEND MANUAL REPLACEMENT
WITH SPARE A-E-35 UNIT FROM SHIP
STORES PRIOR TO FAILURE

* --- and the Master Replicas version:
HAL 9000 FAULT PREDICTION CENTER
REPORT 2045
PROBABILITY 100% THAT AE-35
ANTENNA ALIGNMENT UNIT WILL GO
100% FAILURE WITHIN 72 HOURS.

RECOMMEND E.V.A. FOR MANUAL
REPLACEMENT WITH SPARE AE-35 UNIT
FROM SHIP'S STORES PRIOR TO
FAILURE.

PROG:
COND4;82.O4ORT/SEC2(5748ST)00952

I am wondering if anyone has any more information on this punch card - maybe closeups of the originals, or something else?

Last edited:
I've seen those before on the same sites you had mentioned. As for the one in the movie, it's a read-out of the innards of the AE-35 R.U. and the spots showing imminent failures. ;)

Here is my version of the punch card. I used the text from the Master Replica version. Since I don't have a paper punch for the rectangular cut-outs, I simply made them grey. Some more details on the choices of fonts, etc. are posted on my blog.

HAL9000-punch-card-v1.jpg

The image is formatted for printing on 4"x6" (e.g. photo paper) to produce the 3"x5" punch card.
I would appreciate any suggestions for improvements.

... and I just noticed that this should have been posted in the paper prop forum...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back