Hackers (1995) - laptops used by various characters?

Yeah, I've always just assumed Apple gave/loaned one of these to the production... But where is it now? Even on that page I don't see the exact model used in the movie. If they didn't have to return it to Apple, who has it?! :) I'm just curious of it's fate...

And the others too, they were modified with paints, stickers, etc... I'd like to think they still exist somewhere...

Thanks for that link though, it's awesome seeing all of those machines.

Yeah, Kaypro is a brand... I remember them back in the day... :cool

I've also confirmed that the production did indeed hack (hehe) together computers from various parts...

Been looking around for this answer for quite some time; here is what I came up with:
From what I can tell Dade's computer is based off a Compaq Portable 486c. They chopped a few inches off its base and added a Powerbook screen and Trackball.

The keyboard uses the same case, but it looks like its guts were replaced with a Apple Keyboard II.

It's very possible that this prop was a functioning Apple computer.

h17.png5.jpgApple_Keyboard_II.jpgApple_Macintosh_PowerBook_180c.jpgh4.pngh12.pngh15.png

Last edited:
Hah, They had the movie in the theaters several months back and Ive been on a prop hunt. Ive decided to build a replica of this computer. The stickers are especially hard to come by, and Im still missing the Quiksilver one that goes on the bottom of the keyboard.

Heres the parts ive assembled so far.
20170410_075108[1].jpg

Hah, They had the movie in the theaters several months back and Ive been on a prop hunt. Ive decided to build a replica of this computer. The stickers are especially hard to come by, and Im still missing the Quiksilver one that goes on the bottom of the keyboard.

Heres the parts ive assembled so far.
View attachment 720535
This has been on my list to do since high school. So i noticed in all of the stills in this thread the bottom was hard to see. I'm curious how they did it and if it looked "stock" I kind of hate that the trackball is on the monitor side.(not really that usable) I really want one though. I may just try to find the stock one and see from there. I'd love more pictures as you tear it apart.

Ill be starting on the project soon actually. I just did a fully functional recreation of Lord Nikon's laptop. Quite the fun build.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back