Gutenberg Bible Project (Pics Added)

Thanks for the post TJ, definitely a help for folks I'm sure. :)

I've created the additional characters in Illustrator, it only takes me a couple seconds to add them in so not a worry about the font but if someone would like to take a stab at it feel free. Just make VERY sure that the spacing is correct for any new letters! :)

In cases where there's just an accent missing on the letter you don't have to put a blue "A" there, just use the letter. When I line these up properly on the page I'll be adding any accents that are missing.

These posts:

http://www.therpf.com/f40/gutenberg-bible-project-pics-added-83276/index6.html#post2852458

http://www.therpf.com/f40/gutenberg-bible-project-pics-added-83276/index7.html#post2863414

Should help you with anything you're having troubles with. :)

I was JUST in the Gutenberg Museum a couple of weeks ago. They sell pages in the gift shop that were printed on one of the presses in the museum. After seeing that, seeing this is pretty damn cool.

Wes

I was JUST in the Gutenberg Museum a couple of weeks ago. They sell pages in the gift shop that were printed on one of the presses in the museum. After seeing that, seeing this is pretty damn cool.

Wes

If I had a press I'm just about crazy enough that I'd probably try doing a run of properly printed ones!!!

I have to visit that museum sometime. :)

In cases where there's just an accent missing on the letter you don't have to put a blue "A" there, just use the letter. When I line these up properly on the page I'll be adding any accents that are missing.

These posts:

http://www.therpf.com/f40/gutenberg-bible-project-pics-added-83276/index6.html#post2852458

http://www.therpf.com/f40/gutenberg-bible-project-pics-added-83276/index7.html#post2863414

Should help you with anything you're having troubles with. :)

Thanks, these resources will help me a lot, starting third page tonight.

Cheers.

Don't work on my page 6. I'll update it and send you a fil with all 5 pages.
If anyone know how-to built and update a font, helpe is needed.

I think you don't realise the work you'll have to do on each page to remove or add accent, bars etc.

Last edited:
And I have to deal with a glyph that looks like a "3" but is closer to a glyph used in music and meaning a silence.
(sorry I have a lack of vocabulary, english is not my native language).

I thought the little 3 was a semicolon. That is what I've been doing and it is pretty darn close.

I think you don't realise the work you'll have to do on each page to remove or add accent, bars etc.

Trust me, I do. :lol From our first run I've finished 50 pages like this but by all means have a go with the font!

I did get your emails but the next few weeks are going to be really busy for me so I won't be able to test anything until late May.

Ok,

Just check if the font is acting correctly with your Querty Keyboard.
I'd like to run on my pages as soon as I can.

TJ

Wasn't aware of that how is this working?

BTW, I've modified a font file to add the missing characters. If someone interested, PM me.

Has anyone bothered to price the translations out on Amazon's Mechanical Turk (https://www.mturk.com/mturk/)? Seems like it could be a lot faster to compile everything together.

There's an old saying:

Cheap, good, fast. Pick two.

The whole point of this is to be good and cheap (free). Of course I could have just paid someone to do it for me but where's the fun in that? ;)

This way there will be a group of us who can really take pride in this reproduction. :thumbsup

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

There's another old saying: work smarter, not harder.

Surely $5-15 per person is still cheap? Maybe it's more…I'm merely asking if anyone bothered to investigate.

There's another old saying: work smarter, not harder.

Surely $5-15 per person is still cheap? Maybe it's more…I'm merely asking if anyone bothered to investigate.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. The difference to me isn't smart vs. hard but rather hand made craftsmanship vs. made in China.

The people working on this are invested in the project so the standard of work should be better. As folks have mentioned it's tricky work. If I contracted it out I'd have to second check everything much more carefully which almost defeats the purpose of contracting it out.

For the record though I checked out of curiosity and it was a LOT more than that.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I was waiting for an answer about the modified font I've sent to you.
I know you're busy so I'll continue my pages using my font.
You'll still be able to swap the new letters with yours. ;)

I was waiting for an answer about the modified font I've sent to you.
I know you're busy so I'll continue my pages using my font.
You'll still be able to swap the new letters with yours. ;)

I thought I had posted but clearly not! :facepalm

Sorry guys, this font works. Tom, can you post a new character map here (like the one I sent you originally) so that people can know where to find the new characters?

Send me a your email address in a PM and I'll forward you the new font.

Merci!

Assuming this is still going, I'd like to join in. :thumbsup

Seems like this is a great late-night project for an insomniac like me :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back