fdb9fa21498671730a346733772cc558.jpg

3ebacb2256e8a3a94caf9e198f3ff89b.jpg

Nothing really to report, but this will give you a glimpse at what I'm thinking next...

I like idea of Rocket's head sort of bobbing and moving around on its own. That's where I got the idea for the owl decoy.

Why not toss in a small stepper motor, small micro and make his head turn. Be really simple and you could do a few routines with a couple hand buttons to turn his head left, right, up or down.

I really wouldn't know where to begin.

I can make it for you if interested, but you would need to figure out the mount and attaching parts.
You would of course pay for the parts and materials. [I can send you a list/bom]

I can wire it up and code it for you, you have to figure out how to install it.
I even have some old junk steppers I can give you as I don't use them.
Probably cost you about $50 ish for some of the parts etc.
Take me a couple days probably to build it up, code and ship.

I am pretty much a GOTG fan from the old days so I am happy to help the Groot project. ;)

I can make it for you if interested, but you would need to figure out the mount and attaching parts.
You would of course pay for the parts and materials. [I can send you a list/bom]

I can wire it up and code it for you, you have to figure out how to install it.
I even have some old junk steppers I can give you as I don't use them.
Probably cost you about $50 ish for some of the parts etc.
Take me a couple days probably to build it up, code and ship.

I am pretty much a GOTG fan from the old days so I am happy to help the Groot project. ;)
That's such a nice offer! Thank you! Since Groot went over budget, and Rocket has been added on now without any planning I would just need to clear an additional expense with my wife. :)

Lemme check with her, and I'll PM you. Thanks again!

That's such a nice offer! Thank you! Since Groot went over budget, and Rocket has been added on now without any planning I would just need to clear an additional expense with my wife. :) Lemme check with her, and I'll PM you. Thanks again!
No problem would be happy to see that come to reality.

Be really neat addition to your Groot project, could even have him sync to your head so when you look he looks etc.
All kinds of ideas here, and fyi, I am done with the design and almost done with parts list.
Coding will take about 10 minutes.

Sample circuit flow:
circuit_layout.png

Last edited:
Sorry BUF, I don't mean to hijack your thread this is my concept for your head anima.
I came home dug in some boxes and have 98% of the hardware for a R&D test run idea.

You would have a choice of small finger tip tack switches or a larger plunger type for your foam fingers, as you might need something larger to press for control in suit. Also would include a pot input to allow you to maybe thumb control a back and forth motion. [wip]

Led feed back maybe could be in your helm somewhere or in eye shot to indicate where rocket is looking or pointing.
So red, green, red = Left - Center - Right.

Control routines would be press a tack and he looks that direction. [would need to work out speed to make look smooth for weight, lots to discuss here]
Pot would allow maybe a rotational step so you can manually control gaze directions, just another way to control as one way might not work for you at all.

Would be small, light and compact, batt will add some weight of course.

concept_rev1.png

Last edited:
Taking Groot out tomorrow to Nickel City Con in Buffalo.

I've now worn the costume about 10 times! My record is 3 hours maximum in it. It is tiring to wear with the heavy wooden stilts. But it's still a lot of fun!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back