My Groot Build - Pic Heavy (and three questions)

AZ Groot

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been wanting to try this build for a couple years and finally pulled the trigger. I followed along with Groot - foam build - WIP - Pic Heavy and made a few minor adjustments.

I started on Oct. 4 and finished it on Oct. 26. So 3 weeks later and $230 on material, here is my Groot build. I am planning to do some more work on the face but am pretty happy with it overall.

After wearing it at a costume party, I have 3 questions that I was hoping I could get answers to:

1. I used a glue gun to attach the foam to the clothes and found that it is coming off in some places. Is there a better adhesive that I should be using on the repairs?
2. The paint is falling off the pipe insulation in some places and seems to just be cracking off where the foam flexed. I used Rust-oleum 2x spray paint and don't mind doing touchups but is that paint my best option?
3. I haven't put anything inside the mask to get it to fit my head better? What is the best option? I read that a hard hat suspension may work.

I started with a couple thin sheets of hobby foam but I could only find the puzzle mat foam in black so I redid the face with the same black puzzle mat.
1.jpg

2.jpg

The puzzle mat foam is black although it looks brown in the photos.
3.jpg

Start of forearms
4.jpg

Right forearm before dremel
6.jpg

Left forearm before dremel
9.jpg

Laying out the chest and stomach pieces before gluing them
10.jpg

Front pieces dremeled and then glued
11.jpg

Trying on the shirt with the mask. Later in the build, I ended up taking a heat gun to the mask to pull in the cheeks and make the face more narrow.
13.jpg

14.jpg

A little more work on the face, still prior to heat gun and pulling in the cheeks.
16.jpg

17.jpg

Completed front
21.jpg

Completed back
22.jpg

Here is one place that I deviated from the original build that I was following. My stilts are drywall stilts and I have to be able to reach them to lace up my boots and pull the stilt straps tight. So I left the kneed area empty on the pants and created knee brace types that I could velcro on after the pants and stilts are on.
24.jpg

Knee brace #1
24a.jpg

24b.jpg

25.jpg

Base coat of brown spray paint
29.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

2nd coat of paint with light brown and then elmer's spray glue and moss
34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Narrower face after heat gun
39.jpg

Another modification I made was to leave the fly area open so I could use a urinal if needed. I created a velcro patch that I can put on and remove.
40.jpg

Here is the completed build, hanging from bungee cords.
41.jpg

42.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

I bought a wood pattern balaclava and compression shirt. The balaclava definitely came in handy as the back of my neck would have been showing otherwise.
46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg14.jpg16.jpg17.jpg21.jpg22.jpg24.jpg24a.jpg24b.jpg25.jpg29.jpg32.jpg33.jpg34.jpg35.jpg36.jpg37.jpg39.jpg40.jpg41.jpg42.jpg44.jpg45.jpg46.jpg47.jpg48.jpg50.jpg

Looks great!
For repairing, Woodweld contact cement may work, and I think I have seen that recommended for foam projects, but please test on scrap as I have no first hand experience. I have had good luck with E-6000 bonding to most everything, but I have seen it react with materials, so I would recommend testing it on scrap first as well.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back