Gremlins "Oriental Box"

jas070680

Hey everyone. I'm looking to start a new project to build a box for Medicom Gizmo (sometimes referred to as the "Oriental Box"). I know this has been done in the past, but I am unable to find any photos of the real prop. I was watching the documentary "Creature Designers-The Frankenstein Complex" (Great one BTW) and saw this box in the background of Chris Walas's office. The biggest surprise to me was the blue. If anyone has some reference photos it would be great. Thanks in advance and forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.
Capture.JPG
photo 1.JPG

this is a HOLY GRAIL build for me to present to my mom... looking forward to any and all info on this... P.S. she loved the movie so much she named her dog gizmo.... ;)

Which gizmo is that ?

Looking at the scene where billy meets gizmo I'd say you might want to consider lopping off 2 -3 inches to the length.

For whatever reason It keeps giving me an error when trying to upload a picture. but if you lok at the scene the box only goes a a few inches past his ear width.

Which gizmo is that ?

Looking at the scene where billy meets gizmo I'd say you might want to consider lopping off 2 -3 inches to the length.

For whatever reason It keeps giving me an error when trying to upload a picture. but if you lok at the scene the box only goes a a few inches past his ear width.
I have the Medicom Gizmo. I know he is based on the Gremlins 2 models, but i’m Pretty sure the size is roughly the same. He has a fair amount of room in the box based off the screen caps. There are some replicas that fit him great, but I think might be slightly undersized. Who knows..
A4BAD573-CE97-4C03-A07E-002E97DC6E97.jpeg
0AF62FCC-2678-445C-A7B5-6E98654A0B60.jpeg

The wood I used to make mine was a 1 x 2" board. Actual size was 3/4 x 1 3/4" roughly. (wood bought at home centers are never the actual measurements as marked). I ripped the board in half so they were about 1/4" thick. Seemed to work out (and look) great.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0347.JPG
    IMG_0347.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 894
  • IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 436
The wood I used to make mine was a 1 x 2" board. Actual size was 3/4 x 1 3/4" roughly. (wood bought at home centers are never the actual measurements as marked). I ripped the board in half so they were about 1/4" thick. Seemed to work out (and look) great.
Wow! This looks fantastic. I would say that it is definitely the best replica I have seen. I’m missing some key tools (table saw mainly), but I’m working my way towards it. What did you use for the base and lid? Right now i’m Working with 1/2”x2” poplar (routed down from 2-1/2”)

Well, for the lid, I used a strip of the 1/4 x 2 for the bottom. (Same boards used for the sides). Then another 1 x 2 glued on top of that with a 45 degree cut along one edge. I believe I cut off a 1/2 inch on one edge before I glued it down. That 1/2 piece got glued to the inside, laid flat to become the area where the burlap would mount to. Edges for the 45 side of the lid sanded/ rounded off, joined with three others with 45 angles. I'll see if I happen to have any pictures of it at all.

Last edited:
Here are two pictures I have of the raw lids (one on top of a box in progress) as well as one of my reference pictures in an old Gremlins souvenir magazine.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 412
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back