Greedo Blaster Discussion

Did anyone figure out what was on the left side of the blaster or is this still a mystery?

I think it's possible that something was glued onto the left side and it simply fell off at some point:
image5.jpg

The ejector port on a Ruger is on the right, correct? I remember the greeblie set that covers that.

Mine is blank on that left side, I think because we just never found out. the Gray color definitely looks like bare resin (resin cast gun, greeblies all painted black anyway). I'd have to agree something fell off

It's still a total mystery, unfortunately. It's some sort of rectangular block shaped piece with smaller arm like things protruding from both sides.

There's also some shallow, tiny circular things behind that as well, towards the rear end of the upper closer to the bolt, but those could also be due to something in the molding process. Sadly we can't see that side nearly well enough to tell what's really going on there..

-Carson

I wanted to see if I could spark the conversation for the greebles on the other side. I know some people have gone with the pontoon tomtit piece to match the other side but i do not buy that.

The piece(s) appears to be longer and has something flat on the outside.

View attachment 525109 View attachment 525110
View attachment 525111 View attachment 525112
OdiWan72 , look like any sort of Michelle Turntable part?

Could this be one of the large resistors from an E11 or the mouse droid?

I wanted to see if I could spark the conversation for the greebles on the other side. I know some people have gone with the pontoon tomtit piece to match the other side but i do not buy that.

The piece(s) appears to be longer and has something flat on the outside.

View attachment 525109 View attachment 525110
View attachment 525111 View attachment 525112
OdiWan72 , look like any sort of Michelle Turntable part?

Could this be one of the large resistors from an E11 or the mouse droid?

Just to add on to my past comment. There could be another pontoon piece on that side but if there is, then I think there is some other part stacked on top of it. Something longer than the double coaxial connectors on the other side.

Can someone please share the provenance of the prop shown on the first page of this thread? Is it known that this Ruger becomes the Greedo blaster?

GreedosRuger_zps5aa77ca6.jpg

I'm trying to determine the grip frame variation of the base gun.

I think it was from the same gun rental company, this ruger has a shorter first shoulder than normal, it was machined down somehow. That's a good indicator to follow the gun

Thanks for info, and that would make sense. Regarding the barreled upper, that Ruger actually has a longer first step than a standard model, which would lead me to believe that they turned down a bull barrel version...

wm_11781098.jpg

wm_7212074.jpg

(Both models shown above have A-54 grip frames, btw, and the one from the gun rental company is an A-100.)

Thanks for info, and that would make sense. Regarding the barreled upper, that Ruger actually has a longer first step than a standard model, which would lead me to believe that they turned down a bull barrel version...

wm_11781098.jpg

View attachment 1496647

(Both models shown above have A-54 grip frames, btw, and the one from the gun rental company is an A-100.)
I'm sorry, the shoulder closest to the receiver not the barrel. It's turned down, making the first step longer

Can someone please share the provenance of the prop shown on the first page of this thread? Is it known that this Ruger becomes the Greedo blaster?

View attachment 1496498

I'm trying to determine the grip frame variation of the base gun.
Correct. That is the gun that Bapty used.
The base of the barrel is threaded to accept some sort of attachment/sleeve. It appears to be just a custom Mark I they had lying around.

The cone inside the barrel is not the same as the AT-AT driver tusks.
It's from the earlier sweep arm. The same model was used as R5-D4's antenna.
The later sweep arm wasn't used until ESB (AT-AT driver, Boba Fett, and a million other things).

Attachments

• 1632302274149.png
    1632302274149.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
Pretty sure it was a standard Mk1 at some point, not the bull barrel.
The barrel is completely 'new'. The front of the frame is cut down and the barrel is apparently threaded in.
The new barrel has a bunch of stamped markings down the side. I'm not sure what they mean.

I did a lot of research on Rugers over the years, and figured I should share the info I've learned since I haven't been able to find the time to make proper, accurate cast replicas, yet..;)

The upper is from a Ruger 'Standard' based on the sights. And the visible markings make it somewhere between 1949-1965, 'STURM, RUGER & CO.' -vs.- 'STURM, RUGER & CO., INC.' which is post '65. But it's actually not an MK1 at all. The Standard was the very first Ruger firearm ever mass-produced, back in 1949, offered up until '82 or so as a base model pistol. The MK1 upgrade came in around 1950.

The MK1 was just an upgraded version of the Standard, which had better, adjustable sights, longer barrel & a screw in the trigger for adjusting and/or removing the 'slop' in the trigger. All of which was added primarily for target shooting. Otherwise, they shared the exact same parts and manufacturing except the stamping on the left-side of the upper receiver.

I noticed that the lower was switched out (just like Han's ANH blaster oddly enough!!) with either a post-1970 'Standard' lower, or a post-1970 'MK1' lower (which both had a mirrored version of the grip-frame after the '70s)...unfortunately we can't tell for sure from the photos we have access to which one it is. The only difference to the lower is the trigger with the adjustment screw, otherwise the lowers were identical in the factory and used for both the Standard and MK1, just different triggers.
In 1971 they changed and remade the die they used for the lowers, since the dies were getting worn out (the lowers were stamped from sheet metal).

I also suspect that the Lower was from one of the Wood Gripped versions (which are a bit rare), basing on the visible outline 'around' the plastic grips that Bapty must have changed out. The wood grips had a slight difference in radius' and size in certain places, note the outline around the plastic grip here in the pre-pro photo Chris, lonepigeon kindly posted many years ago..All of the wood gripped versions I've seen seem to fully cover the pin that's partially visible above the top left-side of the plastic grip, right where the outline seems to follow.
As far as I can tell all of the plastic gripped models reveal that pin just as the one below does, whereas the outline around it suggests that the grips were changed out.

That's mostly it as far as the Ruger is concerned. Please don't go buying them all up and start modifying them!! I hate that, and I don't want to be the cause. I know it goes against our hobby, but I really hate seeing all of these antique things being modified and cut up and such.....All the community needs is one pre-'65 upper and one post-'70 lower to study and make accurate, cast replicas from. Please don't use this info to kill off Rugers like the C96 and Graflex. Let's just make some nice, accurate replicas basing on these details! :D

..I still can't seem to track down what barrel they switched it with..it's not a stock Ruger barrel for sure. It appears to be a pistol barrel though. Basing on the taper it has, a rifle barrel wouldn't be able to taper that steep and keep any length beyond a pistol's barrel's length. Whatever they used led to them turning down the length of the front-end of the upper receiver for it to fit/work, causing the upper to be noticeably shorter than a stock upper-receiver.

-Carson

Greedo's Ruger_Enhanced.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back