Graphite powder question

Imagehunter

If I use graphite powder on a black glossy paint verses a white glossy paint will the graphite appear the same on both, or does the base paint have an effect on the final graphite color?

I did tests on failed prints of several colors but the only difference I could see (with my uneducated eye) was the gloss paint made it shiny but the matte finish, not so much. I couldn't see a noticeable difference between the gloss gray, blacks or white. Since everything I've read indicates there should be a bigger difference I thought I'd check with the experts.

I have used it a number of times and so far the colour has had no effect really. I just make sure to use a gloss base and spray it in warm weather to get the glossiest finish possible, and ensure that i apply the powder while the clear coat is still tacky.

The big difference is going to relate on your coverage. If you have 100% coverage, the base layer won't matter as much. But if it's something that's quite complicated to get the graphite powder into all the nooks-and-crannies, then a base layer that compliments the color (such as the gloss black which reflects the silver color better) could help give a better look to the finished product.

This is why I miss Opaquing fluid. (graphite paint) We used that a lot back in the 90s. Alcohol based paint used in animation for blacking out areas on animation cells. Long since been discontinued and outlawed due to its toxic nature. That being said I painted several things with it and you could polish the finish to a mirror quality . Looked like black chrome but had that graphite patina to it. I also used the same paint on Catwomans claws for Batman Returns.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back