Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

I don't think I've seen such a long threading on a real one or this kind of a "step" between the threaded and non-threaded parts. But that's an observation based on 10-15 clamps. Here's the folmer clamp on my Obi replica compared to a inc flash:
1615073588187.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 6.46.50 PM.png

This is a vintage currently on ebay:
The bolt itself seems somewhat short but the threading begins just inside the neg. space of the clamp.... So that does indicate longer threadings are possible

View attachment 1433760
This is a vintage currently on ebay:
The bolt itself seems somewhat short but the threading begins just inside the neg. space of the clamp.... So that does indicate longer threadings are possible
Ok, I'm not arguing that they don't exists, but this clamp is closed and when they are closed you only see the threading on many of them. I guess it depends to some extend on how much it is tightened though.

Edit: I just checked the re-assembled clamps from the picture above, and I have to correct myself - on some I can only see the threading, on some the non-threaded part still shows when closed ... but also some don't have the washer so it also plays a role how the lever is positioned when closed.

Last edited:
View attachment 1433743
this is why I ask.
3 different REPLICAS all based on vintage pieces.
The top being the one of the most interest because I also consider it my most accurate replica for an ‘ANH era’ graflex (folmer patent)

(Edit: I realized after I hit post that this question was about the threading.)

Bottom lever is the closest match in shape to all the vintages I have, Inc and Folmer both. I'm guessing the top is TGS? They have very squared-off levers that, as far as I know, aren't accurate to any real version.

When I decided to replace the peeling lever on my Pat. Folmer, I went through levers from several different suppliers (TGS, Romans, Parks via TCSS) and the Parks was far and away the most accurate, especially the shaping at the end of the lever. TGS and Romans are both too angular in cross-section, and too squared-off and/or flat at the tip.

BF4CECF5-E644-4943-BB1F-05E3E4267F9B.jpeg

yeah these are three Romans I own. The top two were from different runs of satin clamps.
The bottom is off a Gen 2 graflex assembly which as you mentioned AnubisGuard is very similar to the TGS Gen 2 which you correctly identified.

Be careful posting details of replica flashes and consider that a valid detail of an original.

And I don't think you can say anything about the screw length and thread length while it is installed on a clamp. You can't tell exactly how far it has been screwed in because there's a range of 'tightness' of the clamp that will install neatly. The bayonet fitting allows for a certain amount of difference of how tight the lever is screwed in. So the length sticking out doesn't say anything because it can be rotated one, one and a half, or two twists and it still feels OK.

I will open up a few clamps and measure my vintage lever screws.

Be careful posting details of replica flashes and consider that a valid detail of an original.
roygilsing
Absolutely,
I don’t own any vintage myself to reference;

That’s why I found the variation so head scratching. Unless there is a vintage counterpart for the range of bolts my question won’t really have any validity.
But I realized the part does seem otherwise wholly undocumented relative to the other components in the Graflex research threads (vintage or replica alike).

On the picture with the clamps the 2 levers are 6,5 (when numbered 1-6 left-to-right). I think 6 has one or two more "spins" on the thread than 5.

Vintage-Graflex-levers.jpg

Here are 4 of my vintage levers. I'm not absolutely certain, but the most right one was on a Folmer graflex, the others probably not.
They are all pretty much the same in shape, except the inner slot. The thread length varies between 8 and 10mm.

A quick question about New York Folmer stamp alignment. Is the alignment considered. good when it's in the locked position? I would assume soo as it seems easy enough to rotate the base to a proper alignment tomatch the Wampa Cave build, correct? Thanks!

I've made these a while ago, but some of the shots were little blurry so I didn't post it, thinking I'll make better ones later .. A couple of moths later I still don't have much free time for this kind of things so I've decided to post as it is, in hope it might be useful for people hunting the ultimate graflex for their ANH build ...

Here are the 3 types of graflex tops with "shiny" beertab rivet that I'm aware of:

1. I've only seen this type on a Folmer NY no patent 3 and 2 cell flashes, this particular copy is from a 2 cell:

FolmerNY2cell.jpg

besides the specific button and glass eye it also features straight pins and a single big rivet in the bunny ears.

2. This kind of configuration I've seen mostly on Folmer with patent 3cells, but it is also relatively common on Inc. 2 cells and I've seen one or two on 3 cell Incs. This particular one is from a 3 cell Folmer with patent:

FolmerPatent3cell.JPG

The rivet on this copy is little worn and scratched so it does not "shine" as much as the others, but even under the weak light coming from you window you can still notice the distinctive reflection pattern is showing.
Features straight pins and a single rivet that has a hole in the middle. Also on most of these flashes I've noticed that the clamp lever is of the type where the rivet sits really close to the edge (image borrowed from Drew Barker's earlier post)
1631173165527.png

3. The Classic "Inc" top - found on most Inc 3 cells and 2 cells . This one is from a 3 cell:
Inc3cell.JPG

Pins have the distinctive "Inc" shape, the rivet on the bunny ears is the same type as on 2. above, but there are 2 recessed "dots" near the edges of the parts.

There is also some difference in the washers under the beertab - 1. is chrome like the rest of the flash , while 2. 3. are more yellowish like brass, but I could not capture that detail well in the pictures.

Last edited:
I've made these a while ago, but some of the shots were little blurry so I didn't post it, thinking I'll make better ones later .. A couple of moths later I still don't have much free time for this kind of things so I've decided to post as it is, in hope it might be useful for people hunting the ultimate graflex for their ANH build ...

Here are the 3 types of graflex tops with "shiny" beertab rivet that I'm aware of:

1. I've only seen this type on a Folmer NY no patent 3 and 2 cell flashes, this particular copy is from a 2 cell:

View attachment 1493287
besides the specific button and glass eye it also features straight pins and a single big rivet in the bunny ears.

2. This kind of configuration I've seen mostly on Folmer with patent 3cells, but it is also relatively common on Inc. 2 cells and I've seen one or two on 3 cell Incs. This particular one is from a 3 cell Folmer with patent:

View attachment 1493288

The rivet on this copy is little worn and scratched so it does not "shine" as much as the others, but even under the weak light coming from you window you can still notice the distinctive reflection pattern is showing.
Features straight pins and a single rivet that has a hole in the middle. Also on these flashes the clamp lever is of the type where the rivet sits really close to the edge (image borrowed from Drew Barker's earlier post)
View attachment 1493290

3. The Classic "Inc" top - found on most Inc 3 cells and 3 cells . This one is from a 3 cell:View attachment 1493291
Pins have the distinctive "Inc" shape, the rivet on the bunny ears is the same type as on 2. above, but there are 2 recessed "dots" near the edges of the parts.

There is also some difference in the washers under the beertab - 1. is chrome like the rest of the flash , while 2. 3. are more yellowish like brass, but I could not capture that detail well in the pictures.
Thanks for this information!

I forgot to mention that I used to have one 2 cell Inc bottom flash where one side of the bunny ears was like 2. and the other like 3. (and everything else like 3.) Looking something like this:
1631229651345.png

I guess it was some sort of transitional variant where they randomly assembled it form one old and one new part

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back