Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

As far as HOW they were originally manufactured I have no idea. I worked with a local machine shop, a local water jet cutting company, a local tool and die manufacturer and the platers were about 50 miles away

The band was a really tough one since every metal handles bending differently. We tried a couple different materiels and ended up using stainless steel so we didn’t have to try and plate it. The SS was water jet cut from a sheet then sent to the tool&die folks. Every time a die hits metal it costs $$$ in the manufacture and there were a lot of hits on the clamp. I believe the ears were bent first then both ends took two hits. The body ended up requiring 5 hits to have a smooth curve

WOW what a detailed thing, thank you! I didn’t realize how many processes were in just… one detail like the folding of the clamp lol

The originals were.. trying to remember, they had to be steel because they rust differently than the brass body corrodes (in real life)

WOW what a detailed thing, thank you! I didn’t realize how many processes were in just… one detail like the folding of the clamp lol

The originals were.. trying to remember, they had to be steel because they rust differently than the brass body corrodes (in real life)
There were SO many tiny, stupid details I wanted right. The little, brass pins to plug the original into the camera were actually machined from thin brass on the lathe so they looked right. The other area I know I changed was the red button and glass eye. Because they both had a nice, shiny finish rather than brushed I didn’t have to use the exact material so we chose aluminum. The eye itself was a craft plastic bubble thing that matched. If I remember correctly, we didn’t fix either the glass eye or red button (custom cast) in place, but just stuffed them in so the owner could decide to fix them in place or make the button press

Around the red button was a Y shaped washer we had water cut from stainless and a small rivet that we also had machined. The tiny washer in the rivet, washer, Y was purchased from McMaster Carr

Biskit!!!

Good to see you back here!

I bought alot of the small replica Graflex pieces from you when you decided to stop making replicas. Was that about 20 years ago now???

Still have most all of it, too!

- Jim

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back