Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

I just got my incredibly awesome mint Graflex today.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So worth it.

Now that I see how it goes together I can see how the D ring holder got flipped in the publicity shot along with the clamp.

So Roy's Blueprint is accurate for the film????

Does anyone know how to tell when a Graflex was made roughly??? I am curious how old mine is.

Thanks

Tom

I just got my incredibly awesome mint Graflex today.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So worth it.

Now that I see how it goes together I can see how the D ring holder got flipped in the publicity shot along with the clamp.

So Roy's Blueprint is accurate for the film????

Does anyone know how to tell when a Graflex was made roughly??? I am curious how old mine is.

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

Roy's blueprint IS accurate to the film. In the toe pic, and other pre and post production photos, the top of the flash is rotated 180 compared to how it appears in the film. Either way the orientation of the d ring and clasp to the clamp and grips never change. So basically whatever pics you go off of for orientation it won't matter because you can just spin the top around however you're feeling that day, screen used or production photo style.
Now as far as the age of your particular flash, let's see some pics!

Tom,

Roy's blueprint IS accurate to the film. In the toe pic, and other pre and post production photos, the top of the flash is rotated 180 compared to how it appears in the film. Either way the orientation of the d ring and clasp to the clamp and grips never change. So basically whatever pics you go off of for orientation it won't matter because you can just spin the top around however you're feeling that day, screen used or production photo style.
Now as far as the age of your particular flash, let's see some pics!

Will do. I will post pics when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Tom

Don't forget there's also at LEAST two variations of FOLMERS too: with Patent # and without.

I've had both, and Markus it seems all your Folmers have the patent # The shiny ones seem to be the earlier no patent variation.

So Graflex Inc w/patent & Folmer New York (not Folmer N.Y.) are the two versions we know for sure were used in production, right?

So Graflex Inc w/patent & Folmer New York (not Folmer N.Y.) are the two versions we know for sure were used in production, right?

Only known for sure is Folmer Graflex, no pat number, New York, as evidenced by the wampa cave shots. This is the only time on screen the bottom is visible. What we can see in anh pre/post production photos is that both 3 cells have a very thin lip around the bottom.
The ranch saber is a folmer with Pat number bottom
Check back a few pages in this thread for my explanation as to when and where you see different versions as well as another thread which I link back to in my earlier posts in this thread as to a detailed explanation of why I'm pretty sure it's always the same folmer new York style in both movies

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, finally signed up :)

here's a Graflex I picked up many years ago (probably around the time of ROTS), looking at this thread, seems like my is the early Folmer New York version.

As you can see below, it is in pretty bad shape, rusted, and one of the rabbit ear's rivet is gone, glass eye is missing too (it currently has a replica on it, supposed to be Parkes)

However, I got it for pretty cheap (less then >$100 iirc), so it wasn't too bad I guess

it has been sitting in my drawer for the last 10 years, maybe I will finally get around to converting it, the question, which version?

I wanted to keep the button if possible, but seems like all the available photo shows the later pattern button. I remembered in some threads here, someone mentioned that the button with the short knurling were used by some version of the saber, but I couldn't find that thread again, was I dreaming? or can someone help me out? otherwise, I will order some buttons from Roman when his Graflex are ready :)

DSC_0387.JPGDSC_0415.JPGDSC_0390.JPGDSC_0408.JPGDSC_0412.JPG

That short knurled red button was used on a stuntlightsaber, which isn't
a real G R A F L E X just a tube with a G R A F L E X clamp and red button:

Chaim

i don't see too much of the telegraph button variant of the graflex, does it mean its rare? how much is it worth,mint? if you had one, would you convert the button to a beer tab with the regular red button? just a querie from a newbie here,thanks.

The telegraph button variant G R A F L E X was used for an ESB Boba Fett special blaster ... and yes it's quite a rare flashgun to track down :)

Chaim

i don't see too much of the telegraph button variant of the graflex, does it mean its rare? how much is it worth,mint? if you had one, would you convert the button to a beer tab with the regular red button? just a querie from a newbie here,thanks.

I'd pay up for one... but they are hard to come by. That said, altering it would be a big no-no to me... there's zillions of regular ones to be had... the rare one should be left alone.

I'd pay up for one... but they are hard to come by. That said, altering it would be a big no-no to me... there's zillions of regular ones to be had... the rare one should be left alone.

UNLESS someone is building the Supertrooper-blaster :cool
But I agree, I am having a hard time modifying it and tend to leave it UNcut (the one used as the muzzle on the UZI was shortened/ the L-slot section has been removed)...can not bring myself to do this. So it will be painted over only ;)

MAN, I used to have one. I thought it would've made an awesome custom saber, but didn't know about its blaster usage. Sold it forever ago.

So something interesting happened to me today.

I drove to a nearby small mountain town to do my Christmas shopping, and ended up stopping in at the local Camera Museum. I've popped in before looking for cheap Pelican cases, but today I decided to pay the five dollars and take the tour. To give you an idea, it's a small, single room filled to the brim with dusty old cameras ... a veritable treasure trove to someone like me. The curator is a character ... an older guy, obviously quite passionate about his collection, and excited to have a younger person like myself sharing a genuine interest in his passion (I consider myself something of a film preservationist as well). Oh, and his collection is really impressive. Some of the items that stuck out the most to me were John Wilkes Booth's family photo album (literally, from his family home), original photos (not dupes) of Robert E. Lee, all kinds of daguerreotype, tin types, early 3D cameras from the 1800's, you name it. I should have figured that he would have a Graflex 3 cell, but I still got that burst of adrenaline when I saw it standing up in a case to my left as he was talking to me about the evolution of the Leica. I pointed to it and simply said "Graflex 3-Cell". He then sort of rolled his eyes and asked me if I knew what was special about that flash. I said, "Well yeah ... Luke's lightsaber". He looked back at me and said, "No, what's special about THAT Graflex?". I shrugged, and he proceeded to tell me that this Graflex (which was completely unconverted, mind you) was given to him by his friend, George Lucas, and that it was THE lightsaber. Not a single part of me believed him, until he told me that he had the paperwork to prove it. I decided to nerd out on him a bit, and brought up the fact that there were many Graflex flashes purchased for ANH, and that this one was totally unconverted (no indication that grips had ever been adhered, no bubble strip, or d-ring or even a hole). He then told me that this was the original "prototype" that they used, before they decided to add the other parts. It seemed to me that he was being genuine, but wasn't entirely sure about what he had. Very skeptical, I asked him if I could take a look at it. Keep in mind, that this flash was NOT a part of the tour, and if I hadn't pointed it out, he probably wouldn't have even said anything about it. He looked at me skeptically for a moment, but let me hold it. Folmer Graflex, WITH patent number, what appears to be a thin base ring, and the correct long-knurled red button. He let me snap a few photos, but I decided not to press my luck and ask to see the paperwork (I didn't want him to know that I was more excited about this flash than the rest of the museum). So my question is, does this make any kind of sense to you guys? Does anybody have info about unconverted flashes being used on set or in the film? I really did not get the vibe that this guy was bullsh***ing me, and I think that I believe his claim that Lucas gave it to him (this guy had WAY more objectively and historically significant items in his collection than a sci-fi prop), but I do know that there are several sabers out there that "came from Lucas, or Kurtz, etc."

What do you guys think? By my reasoning, it is at least possible that this Graflex was fom the same batch purchased for the film, and that it may have something to tell us about the screen-used hero. Here are those photos ... At the very least, I saw a beautiful Graflex specimen in the wild today, so I'm happy =)

Last edited:
It's definitely possible. However, even if he has documentation stating otherwise, other than all of the coolness being that it somehow went through George Lucas' hands, I wouldn't be able to put much weight into it being from production, or the prototype, etc. Even if George says it is.

Thats not to say that I believe it is or isn't what the old guy says it was. Just no way to verify factually other than paperwork saying the Graflex was something specific (or used in for a specific event, etc.) based on the word of people above reproach because there would be no greater authority on the matter.

For what it's worth, having a Graflex pass through GL's hands and into my possession would be more than enough additional value to me to make the Graflex priceless.

It's definitely possible. However, even if he has documentation stating otherwise, other than all of the coolness being that it somehow went through George Lucas' hands, I wouldn't be able to put much weight into it being from production, or the prototype, etc. Even if George says it is.

Thats not to say that I believe it is or isn't what the old guy says it was. Just no way to verify factually other than paperwork saying the Graflex was something specific (or used in for a specific event, etc.) based on the word of people above reproach because there would be no greater authority on the matter.

For what it's worth, having a Graflex pass through GL's hands and into my possession would be more than enough additional value to me to make the Graflex priceless.

That's all pretty in line with my take on the situation. Really no way to determine it's role (if any) in production, but if the paperwork is legit, it's still a very cool piece. Next time I'm in town I think I may casually stroll in and see if he'd be willing to show me the papers or tell me more about his relationship with Lucas or the story of how it was give to him. I'll update here if that happens.

Long time lurker, first time poster. It has been my mission this year to find a Graflex and finally in time for christmas jumped the gun and purchased one from eBay in fairly good condition. I have drawn a lot from this thread and wanted to say thanks to all of you!

What do you guys think of it? Genuine?

graflex interior 2 .jpggraflex interior.jpggraflex ebay 5.jpggraflex ebay 4.jpggraflex ebay 3.jpggraflex ebay 2.jpggraflex ebay.jpggraflex bottom.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back