GoT - Jon Snow "Longclaw" Build

The14thDr

Sr Member
I've never really been into Game of Thrones, but recently my friend made me watch one of those "Story So Far..." programs that they made ahead of season 7, and let's just say I'm interested.

With season 7 premiering on UK television in just a few days time, I wanted to try my hand at one or two props from the series (I'm thinking Jon Snow's sword and a baby dragon).

But before I start on the sword, I have a question. I've been collecting as many reference photos as possible so that I can dive straight into the build over the weekend....
48a912997610871849e01a154ddba7a7.jpg

.... however I've found a few replicas like the one below, with the wolf's head on the pommel being a completely different design to the screencaps.
0150599d7f611682f17bff02a61c2390.png

So are these replicas just inaccurate in terms of the pommel design, or did Jon Snow use two different swords at some point?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yeah, that's true.. For the pommel I'll the first image as a reference, as it is a screencap from the show itself and will be a better starting point than any replica, no matter how accurate they are.

I'd love to get started on this build as soon as possible, as it looks like such an awesome sword and will be a great start to my Game of Thrones collection.

Definitely go with replicating the screen cap Longclaw, I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen Jon use that one.

My guess is the replicas are wrong as most would be happy with somthing that's "good enough or close enough".

but this is theRPF :p

A couple things. There are 2 different licensed versions of Longclaw floating around. Both are from the company Valyrian Steel. One is based off the description from the books, created before the show came out and the other is based off the prop created for the tv show. The pommels are slightly different on each. Also, since the popularity of the show, there have been many cheap, knockoff versions of Longclaw floating around. Supposedly Valyrian Steel had the actual prop to model their replica from, so I would think their version would be pretty close to screen used, but even then, there is most likely multiples of the sword laying around in the show's armory. The details may vary.

I really like the one "Man at Arms" made from actual forged steel damascus.

You all probably seen it, but here is the link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. As you can tell I'm very new to GoT props (heck, sword props in general!) so I appreciate every bit of advice.
@KhalDrogo, thank you for the info. I'm guessing the second image I posted above will be the "book version" made before the TV show started (which is the same one that Leonard and Sheldon bought for their apartment in The Big Bang Theory [emoji6])
dlambert, that's an awesome video! (If only I had the skills/budget to build this out of really metal. That would be cool![emoji38])

So I think I'll definitely go for the screencap Longclaw (thanks again for all the help - hopefully my next post will be some actual progress)

Kind regards, The14thDr

Thanks guys. As you can tell I'm very new to GoT props (heck, sword props in general!) so I appreciate every bit of advice.
@KhalDrogo, thank you for the info. I'm guessing the second image I posted above will be the "book version" made before the TV show started (which is the same one that Leonard and Sheldon bought for their apartment in The Big Bang Theory [emoji6])
@dlambert, that's an awesome video! (If only I had the skills/budget to build this out of really metal. That would be cool![emoji38])

So I think I'll definitely go for the screencap Longclaw (thanks again for all the help - hopefully my next post will be some actual progress)

Kind regards, The14thDr
Yeah, I wish I had the skills also....

Yes, exactly. The one on Big Bang Theory was made by the Valyrian Steel company and it predates the show version. Those have been long sold out and command a premium when you can find one for sale. The show versions of their swords are in unlimited production, so you should still be able to get them direct from their site.

GoT - Jon Snow "Longclaw" Build

Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to pick up some timber for this build. Does anyone know how thick the blade should be? If possible I'd like to buy the wood as close to the correct dimensions as possible.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: the timber I've found is 18mm thick. Does this sound about right?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back