GORN PICS NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SgtFang, May 26, 2006.

1. SgtFang

SgtFang Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Can anyone post hi-res pics from that one big book that came out a few years ago that showed the original Gorn suit being made?

Also, any and all head shots will help, even from the recent toys/ figures- especially big, closeups from all angles.

Mucho Gracias.

-Sarge

2. stingray

stingray Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hope this helps out some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. blufive

blufive Sr Member

I don't have anything but I did look for you. Consider this a friendly bump.

:)

4. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Phase Pistol... Phase Pistol to the Gorn Thread, please... :p

5. SgtFang

Thanks for the shots so far everyone.

Last week when I posted, I had just started an update to my original Gorm ask I did nearly 18 years ago. I look at that one nowdays and cringe, then remind myself I did it almost 2 decades ago. :p

[​IMG]

This new version will be what I'm calling "Gorn Unleashed" in the spirit of the bigger than life Star Wars figures. At first glance it will look like the classic Gorn we all know and love, but I'll be cramming a ton of additional detail into it- a little more detail on the inside of the mouth, hints of nictitating membranes at the corner of the eyes, a little more real, reptile detail where I can slip it in, things like that.

Also, this one will have more of a neck and chest and back flaps to tuck into a costume better.

Any suggestions for other details? More pics?

Thanks.

-Sarge

6. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

How's this? Saw this dude over the weekend at the Vegas Hilton... :D

[​IMG]

7. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey. That's pretty good. :thumbsup

8. SgtFang

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Ooooooo YEAH. That's the one Greg Nicotero and his guys worked on for the Viacom store in Chicago years ago- If I ever see him at Wonderfest again, I'm going to have to offer him my first-born son for a pull of that thing... :D (poor guy looks like he could use some dental work...)

Does anyone have that 12" figure that came out a year or so ago? I really need some side views and some of the back of the head.

Rockin'.

-Sarge

9. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"HISSSSSSSSSS. EEEEEIIIIIIIIIITTTHHHHHH. SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS..."

<I have hearrrrd... evvvverry worrrrrrrd... yoouuu havvve SSSSSAIDDD.> :D

This must be "as Wah designed it".. note the blood red eyes (replaced with disco-ball eyes sometime before shooting)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are from "Star Trek Sketchbook". I got screengrabs comin' up later. ;)

- k

10. temponaut

I've always assumed that the "bags" under the Gorn's eyes are the openings through which the wearer sees. Is that right?

11. SgtFang

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 31 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]1254001[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. There were little crescent shaped cut-outs hiding under there. :)

Phase, YOUDAMAN.

-Sarge

12. phase pistol

<I will be MERRRRCIFUUUL... AND QUICK.>

First batch. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hmmm... looks like the Gorn used the Vulcan Hand Salute before we saw Spock doing it. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eew. :$

[​IMG]

13. phase pistol

14. temponaut

Amazing selection of caps as always, Karl. Those views (including back and top of the head.) should help the Sarge to achieve a very high degree of accuracy.

That nose hair is unsightly, but I guess it's hard for a Gorn to manipulate those little scissors for trimming.

The asymmetrical brow is also a good observation. In some of the shots, the nose looks slightly asymmetrical, too (with the right nostril a bit closer to the center line of the nose than the left nostril), but it might be an illusion caused by the angles in the caps.

You know, looking at the Gorn pics and then at your Godzilla prototype avatar, it almost looks like you uploaded images from your family album. :)

15. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Jun 1 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]1254038[/snapback]</div>
    RRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :angry

:lol

ANyhoo, you know I just realized that the Profiles in History 24 auction (March 2006) featured a Gorn mask on the cover. I only have the PDF handy, and am grabbing pix from that, but if you want higher rez, somebody will have to find the paper catalog and scan it. ;)

[​IMG]

16. phase pistol

The rest of the gorn pix from the Profiles catalog. Again these are lo-resolution grabs out of the PDF.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. phase pistol

Sorry to have to do this to you Sarge, but I'm just trying to help... :$

[​IMG]

Note how the real Gorn head is squarish, fairly wide... the thick lips, the eyes set far back and wide spaced. Nicotero's is actually really good, but he missed a few things as well.

- k

In profile the Gorn sort of resembles the dinosaur pachycephalosaurus.

[​IMG]

18. phase pistol

One more... this pic is from the book "Inside Star Trek"

[​IMG]

19. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Thanks for those pics. WOW, Now I need to make a full Gorn costume.

20. Tosprops

Tosprops New Member

21. Paradox

Paradox Well-Known Member

Oh, this is my favorite ST episode. My friend and I commonly refer to this one as the "Tang-bomb Episode"... because he makes a bomb out of Tang.

I laugh every time I watch it, so awesome.

-G

22. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Gorn is my favorite ST character ever. :D

23. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Paradox @ Jun 1 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]1254335[/snapback]</div>

Fascinating.
    Good.
    Good.
    He knows, Doctor.
    He has reasoned it out.

24. Jimbo890

Yep, next to 'The Doomsday Machine', 'Arena' is my favorite too. Has everything you need in a Star Trek episode. I love it, and the Gorn is a really cool alien.

25. stingray

stingray Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Jimbo890 @ Jun 1 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]1254558[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. I think that was my first Star Trek VHS tape I purchased when VHS was in.

26. SgtFang

Holy CRAP. We've got to get this thread archived when we're done. Great job Karl. Many, MANY thanks.

Rhinestones for the eyes huh? Whew, that'll drive the price way up, gluing all those little suckers on, but maybe I can do a budget version later with them molded in and just silver leafed and glazed w/ clear irridescent. That or maybe do them molded in first and make drop-in "upgrade" eyes later... :confused

This is a big question, when I started this I was just going to do an "idealized" Gorn because I was really let down by the Gorn in "Enterprise" and wanted to do a really badass, turbo interpretation of what I thought he "should" have looked like. Now though, I'm wondering if I shouldn't try to recreate Wah's original as close as possible. Greg and company's will be really hard to beat... If I do do the original version, do I absolutely have to do the asymetrical brows? I'm such a symmetry nut... :lol

I'm definately planning on resin teeth though to give him more dimension, but I wonder what the originals came out of? The only thing I can immediately think of that big, with that oval profile would be Komodo Dragon teeth- I think "Bone Clones" might sell a resin KD skull. If not, I've got a gator head around here somewhere that might work.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-Sarge

27. Jimbo890

Yea, that CGI Gorn on 'In a Mirror, Darkly I/II' episode was a real stinker. If they could not recreate the quality of the original, why bother? To me, a better option would have been a guy in a rubber suit. Same head, same tunic etc. IMHO a more 'realistic' skin, and a more muscle defined body would have been all they needed to do. Thats all you need to do and you have modern looking Gorn, that only improves on the Wah Chang original design. I really wish they have left the eyes the original 'blood red', though. Oh, well.

28. phase pistol

I say go for "screenused" first since nobody's quite nailed that down yet. :D

Then if you want you can give him a cool helmet or something. :lol

Optional "blood red" or "disco ball" eyes would be a plus. :thumbsup

It really does look like some poor sap (Rugg?) had to glue dozens of rhinestones in place. (you can see one or two that are MISSING in some of the closeups)... Perhaps you can find some decorative glittery geegaw in the crafts store and cut it up to use for eyes.

"A Gorn... with... KALEIDOSCOOPE EEEEEYYYYYYEEEESSS....."

(Shatner sings) :D

- k

29. phase pistol

As to the asymmetry, yeah, sorry, but the wonky-ness is what makes the Gorn look like a Gorn.

Here's what happens when you mirror each side to enforce symmetry...

[​IMG]

Yeah, yeah I know, the "right side mirrored" one looks more bad *. :lol

But that's not the way he "really" looks. :unsure

- k

30. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

31. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. Asymetrical all the way.

Thanks to all for posting those pics. Man, I regret not hocking a bunch of stuff and going after that screen used mask in PiH big time.

T

32. SgtFang

What's everyone think of the choppers on this guy?

[​IMG]

-Sarge

33. temponaut

<blockquote> <span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"> Again he was alone, but not alone. For as Carson looked up, he saw that the red thing, the sphere of horror that he now knew was the Outsider, was rolling towards him.

Rolling.

It seemed to have no legs or arms that he could see, no features. It rolled across the sand with the fluid quickness of a drop of mercury. And before it, in some manner he could not understand, came a wave of nauseating hatred.</blockquote></span>

Okay, slightly off-topic. But not completely.

The above is an excerpt from Fredric Brown's 1944 short story, "Arena," on which the Star Trek episode was based. Carson became Kirk and the "Outsider" (also referred to in the story as the "Roller") became the Gorn.

My copy of The Best of Fredric Brown is in a dresser drawer on the other side of the earth. It's been a good 25 years since I read it. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the text of the story is available online.

You Gorn fans out there might enjoy checking it out. :)

"Arena" by Fredric Brown

34. SgtFang

This is just speculation, but does anyone know if Wah was left handed?

I'm looking at the asymmetry and seeing a lot of things that unintentionally came out on my original sculpt- especially the slanted cranium. My original looks exactly like that and I didn't have any pics showing that angle back then. (I sculpted the original almost entirely from Shane Johnson's "Worlds of the Federation" :$ )

I'd also bet good money that he sculpted like I do- I sculpt one side till I like it, then match up the other side. If he was pressed for time, this would probably account for the underdeveloped brow on the left.

My forensic observations for the day... :D

-Sarge

35. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>(SgtFang @ Jun 2 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]1254847[/snapback]</div>
    Those would work, if they're the right size... and if you rotate them so the tips point inward.

[​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Jun 2 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1254855[/snapback]</div>
    Well, some say "stolen from"... I had heard that Gene *'s script was written first, and THEN they relized the similarity and tried to get permission to use it.

Of course "The Outer Limits" had adapted the SAME story on a few years before (in an episode called "Fun and Games"), so that might have been an influence as well.

-k

36. SgtFang

[bumping this before it goes to far]

What's everyone think about the rhinestones on the eyes? Size? 3mm 4-5mm? Multi-colored, or all silver catching the light differently?

-Sarge

37. mtpalin

mtpalin Well-Known Member

Great project, and great reference material. Please keep us posted on your progress, with lots of pics please :)

38. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

My vote is for the Wah Chang version. I'm down for one when they are ready.

TK

39. SgtFang

Phil from All Artistries here
    Planning to do more work on the Gorn towards Aug....the Extrapolated new version first, and then the Wah Chang one...wish us luck

:D

40. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

SgtFang,

Any new progress to report?

TK

41. Pete Schmitz

Pete Schmitz New Member

Any ideas on the dagger? my theory is one was rubber but one is obviously not. I remember a material big in the sixties for decoration, smaller versions used in fish tanks, of that stuff it is made out of. I cannot for the life of me think of what it is, but similar to a cross between glass and resin. Anyone have any ideas? anyone found the gorn costume material? Here are my translators- still working on kirks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

42. forttusken

forttusken Well-Known Member

We just watched this epsiode (Arena) the other night, one of my favorite episodes. What is it about the Gorn? I love that guy. Any progress on the mask?

43. Tiberius Kirk

Tiberius Kirk Sr Member

Any new progress to report?

TK