Good Sculpture Resources

acook59

Hey guys,

So i wanna have a go at sculpting a superhero cowl but i've little knowledge on how to do this, can anyone recommend any good reference resources for the basics?

Many thanks,
Andrew

Best way to learn is to do it.

You'll need a a good head armature that's the right size (most really cheap ones will be much smaller than a real human head, but you can find good ones for about $60). I've found that this one is a good fit for most guys.
Deluxe Full Head Armature (Life-size) - Sculpting Armatures - SCULPTING & MOLDING - The Monster Makers

You need a set of basic tools, both wood and wire loop tools. Here's a good starter set. I do 80% of my work with just the one wood tool you see here.
Basic Studio Tool Set - Sculpting Tool Kits - SCULPTING & MOLDING - The Monster Makers

And lastly, you'll need a sulfur free clay if you are going to mold it. Chavant NSP Medium is my favorite for this, but I've also heard good things about Monster Makers clay which can be found on the web site I linked to.

Start sculpting something and post pics in the Sculpting section here and you will get tons of guidance and encouragement.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back