Good airbrush compressors?

superjedi

Sr Member
Hi all,
Just trying to gather opinions from any of you who have airbrush compressors. I'm very familiar with airbrushes, and up till now I've always used those little cans of air. But I'm at a point where that's getting kinda annoying and I'd rather invest in a compressor.

I was reading about a Polar Bear 1000 (www.bearair.com) and it seems pretty nice and not tremendously expensive for the features it offers.
Does anyone have any advice? Some piece of equipment you bought and suddenly wondered how you ever lived without it? :)

My primary uses would be for model/prop painting. Nothing too fancy schmancy.
Thanks for any input!

I use a 110v 20 gal. upright compressor from Lowes, but all of my painting is done in my storage building, i just hook up a dryer and regulator and hook my air brush up to it an im ready to go.
The drawbacks is that its not that portable eventhough it has wheeels, and cuts on if pressure drops below a factory setting.
It also cam with a brad nailer and 1/2" impact metal chisel and a gravity fed automotive sized airgun, plus a tire inflator and guage for a little over 200.00

I use a craftsman 3 gallon compressor. Has a built in regulator, highly portable and cost me $99 from Sears.

It's loud on fill-up, but only takes 30 seconds to fill from empty. After it fills, shut it off and work from the tank - dead silent.

-Fred

I too have a large tank storage compressor that was 150.00 at harbor freight. The advantage to a larger compressor is that you can use it for so much more than airbrushing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, good to know as I was gonna order one of these.

I get mixed up about the auto-shutdown feature. Often, they feature it in their list but it seems you never know if it's an auto-off when not in use or auto-off when desired psi has been reached...

Thanks for the feedback, good to know as I was gonna order one of these.

I get mixed up about the auto-shutdown feature. Often, they feature it in their list but it seems you never know if it's an auto-off when not in use or auto-off when desired psi has been reached...
I don't do much airbrushing, so it doesn't bother me. It's an auto off when not in use. There needs to be a tank to have it reach a desired PSI. For that price, why not go to Sears and get one of their compressor/tank combos?

I don't do much airbrushing, so it doesn't bother me. It's an auto off when not in use. There needs to be a tank to have it reach a desired PSI. For that price, why not go to Sears and get one of their compressor/tank combos?

Thanks for the tip :)

For once, I live in Canada, where the compressors at Sears seems to be in a less impressive variety and the price, for some reasons, near the double :)

I'll still have a trip there though!

A respected airbrusher I know, Rick Sternbach, uses a Scuba tank. Always quiet and air fills used to be free at Sport Chalet, though now I think they are $2.00. The air they are filled with is always dry, since it is for breathing underwater. Tanks are portable, last a long time and can be found used or a new aluminum "80" can be found on sale for around $100.

I use a JUN-AIR 3-4 compressor:
02_02_032_B_-_3-4_print.jpg

It's a Denmark brand but is also sold here in the U.S.
http://www.jun-air.com/sw2268.asp
http://www.jun-air.com/embedding/products/data_sheets/3-4.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
A respected airbrusher I know, Rick Sternbach, uses a Scuba tank. Always quiet and air fills used to be free at Sport Chalet, though now I think they are $2.00. The air they are filled with is always dry, since it is for breathing underwater. Tanks are portable, last a long time and can be found used or a new aluminum "80" can be found on sale for around $100.

I love to see his setup.

Hmm, old thread, but anyway, wouldn't recommend a compressor without air tank if you're into serious airbrush. It helps to keep the air stream perfectly smooth. Especially when working on tiny motifs when you apply lower pressure.

I just bought a new compressor for my carpentry shop. The one thing I've learned is that oilless ones are terrible. Noisy as anything.

If you want a really good small one, get a makita (Almost all other brands are oil-free)

I also live in Canada and If you are in the GTA please PM me. I use a tool supplier that is WAY cheaper than home depot. And since Home depot price matches, (and ten percent off) you can get a pretty good deal.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back