Godzilla : Oxygen Destroyer

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jonny B, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

In our shop, my Dad and I have a DVD player and TV playing Sci-Fi and Horror movies...all day long. You're just as likely to walk in and see Earth vs. the Flying Saucers as The Mummy, or Starship Troopers and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Darn near name it and we've got it.
    Anyways, had Gojira playing today and at the end my Dad says "I wonder if anyones done the Oxygen Destroyer"
    Well, a run to the computer got me this...

[​IMG]

The tag says: Replica Oxygen Destroyer (Yours for only $11,000) and the real thing from the original GODZILLA...

...yipes...
    I don't think I could afford this without giving up a few things...like electricity....and food.

However, building it...Yeah, that was what got me and my father into this all those years ago "Hey thats cool!...but expensive...I'll bet we could build it!"

So, anyone done one yet?

2. MrGzilla

MrGzilla Well-Known Member

godzilla is one of my favorite things ever and ive always wanted to make one, but unfortunatley never have.. so id love to see one made on here!

3. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Used my Google Fu and found a lot of high res pictures of it. Believe it or not, the original prop is still at TOHO Pictures Studio. Even better, the pictures I have now have known objects in them so getting really close on size (within about 1/4") isn't going to be a problem.

Oh and...Dibs....called it :lol

4. jaybible

jaybible Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We made plaster mixing vessels which looked exactly like those for a project in work. 11k sounds about right if its a 1 off aluminium body... I think we have a few scrap parts..hmmm >_>

5. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

but...I called Dibs. DIBS!

Seriously, do you not understand the vast complexity of the Dibs Rules?

Here, this'll help....:lol

The Dibs System - YouTube

6. jaybible

Hahahahaha.... ya gotta love RvB:p

The more i look at it the more i think our designers just copied this... i wonder what other movie inspired gems are laying about:p

7. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

I will, of course, freely admit that living so near Corning New York...where Corning GLASS is, I have the advantage here...

[​IMG]

And started on the "Ball" as well. Should have the front done in a few days...
    [​IMG]

Stay Tuned :lol

8. superDrool

superDrool Sr Member

Some good sized balls there. Gonna be a nice project. I'm a long time Godzilla geek too. So this will be be one I follow as well.

9. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

You know the real problem with them putting the 2 side-by-side like that? YOU CAN SEE JUST HOW INACCURATE THE REPLICA IS!!! :lol

10. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

:confused:lol Love Godzilla as well. Very much looking forward to seeing this thread progress. I watch the old eps whenever I can. Someday I will have my Godzilla costume and a scaled city to unleash horror on. Oh yes...it will happen.

11. Wow that takes me back, i haven't seen that movie in years! Good luck with it.

12. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good start.your armory is cool too....

13. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Help time!

We roughed out the shapes for the 22 pieces but are still stumped on the guage. With the other projects getting done and production to start on the Battle Droids...there's not enough hours in the day anymore. I really need someone to find the guage for us. This has to be right and correct for two very important reasons:

1. This is the RPF, we don't build "close enough" we build HERO!

2. The $11,000 replica....dosen't have the right guage! :eek

I know, right? Here, look for yourself. This is the replicas guage....
    [​IMG]

And here's the best I could get of the original screen used OD...
    [​IMG]

14. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

reminds me of a Geiger counter Gage.but I can't find a match..

15. jaybible

16. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Wow, thank you, I think you got it. We'll still have to change the needle to one with a black spade tip but this'll save a lot of time (and cost).

Should have an update soon when the parts get back from being milled. Then we go cast one up!

17. Salima38

Salima38 Active Member

You guys are good. Really digging the progress on this.

18. jaybible

Well thats just one of many:).. just search for a round analog amp meter and you should get a black spade dial on one of them.

Looking forward to these milled parts:)

19. Prop Medjai

Prop Medjai Well-Known Member

Th person reporting the Oxygen Destroyer replica is incorrect. The Replica retailed for $1100.00. I recently got one of these from a friend in Japan.

20. Leigh

Leigh Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

21. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Oh sweet! Pictures please! Does the ball open and close? Any cool features? Is the dial in japenese?

$11,000 DID seem a bit exsesive, they must have translated it wrong or something.

22. ed-209

ed-209 Sr Member

I think he's saying the price was $1,100.00 not $11,000.00

23. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Good to know, but... it's still got inaccuracies that are easily spotted. ;)

24. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Just a quick up-date on it: Getting the mesurements perfect has been a real pain, but I think I've got a handle on it now. Here's a picture of the "Mark I" version.
    [​IMG]

The Mk III is almost done (few weeks I think) and that's the "Final version" that'll be going to Shapeways for 3D printing in stainless steel.

For those of you with fish tanks....I'm making a 1/10 Scale for use in them :lol

25. eltee

eltee Sr Member

$11,000.00 might have been YEN.

Does the original prop gauge have Japanese characters?

Anyone reminded of an ALIENS facehugger tube on its side?

Very cool, Godzilla was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

26. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The fish tank idea is awesome. Can't wait!

Nick

27. timelordd

timelordd Active Member

Love the prop since i was young...the original was based on an old vacuume cleaner. I too will be making one, but it will be an updated version with the same body style and digital readouts and Leds.

28. kklloo

kklloo New Member

Color me interested on this project. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Sal

29. TheLipmannToy

TheLipmannToy New Member

Godzilla reminds my childhood memories:)

30. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

This is great! Always a big Godzilla fan.

Anyone else here listen to the Kaijucast? It's gotta be the best Godzilla podcast out there.

I want one of these!

31. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Sweet build! My four-year-old son just discovered the magic of men in rubber suits stomping miniature Tokyo, so we've been going through my DVD collection. He's partial to the "good guy" Godzilla, and he's a big fan of the giant praying mantises in Son of Godzilla. I'll save the original movie for later. (It made me cry when I was a kid. They killed Godzilla!)

32. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

I would freaking love to make one of these myself, even if it can't be from the same materials that are being used, or were originally.

So, you know... If you ever feel like posting diagrams or measurements or anything that could help out a novice... :D

Greg

33. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome build idea sir!

Doc

34. ForgeHyena

ForgeHyena Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got a spare set of G's teeth (top and bottom) from vs. Biollante.
    Probably my favorite thing out of the props I own.

I'll post photos soon...!

35. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Any updates?

Doc

36. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

SWEET! I just watched the movie a few weeks ago. BRILLIANT! Looking forward to seeing this project move forward - I hope. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  37. SamuelSpade

SamuelSpade New Member

I'm interested to know what progress has been made on this as well? I wanted to pick up the Japanese model but could never locate one as so few were made.

38. Prop Medjai

I understand the Japanese model will be reissued with a few changes which will make it more screen accurate. They will also sell the upgrade pieces to those who've already purchased the kit.

Don't know when or where but my friend in Japan saw the original Destroyer in a Toho museum display and spoke to the curator.

~Ron

39. SamuelSpade

SamuelSpade New Member

I too am wondering how this is coming, and any more info on a re-issue kit would be much appreciated.
    M

40. Prop Medjai

Here's a photo of the completed full sized kit. My friend in Japan told me the current version of the Oxygen Destroyer is pit of production.

[​IMG]