Godzilla : Oxygen Destroyer

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

macropod80

Hello Godzillaphiles. Apart from that last one (in2014) I can't see any of the photos these guys were talking about. But I'm guessing enthusiasm ran out for any actual building? I get that a lot.
I too am old enough to have wanted one for decades, and will be adding one to Thingiverse in due course, after sorting out a few design issues:

drwg.JPG

First question: does it actually have that 'button' on the right-hand end? (because it would be a really handy way of activating a mechanism)
The one in the film doesn't appear to have one at either end, but the kit replica talked about further up this thread has one at both. And some shots of one being shown off at TOHO have one:

12244693_1721523914743352_5355000373517769137_o.jpg

(That's Akira Takarada, by the way.) I'm wondering if they have more than one? Perhaps there was a hero prop for the actors to carry around and a functional one for the scene where it pops open. Or maybe they have a repro for showing off to visiting foreigners and the 'good' one locked in the glass display case:

original 1.jpg

which also looks perhaps a bit shorter, and more authentically metallic than just painted..
Second: unless someone can provide actual measurements, I'm guessing the clear tube is 6inches/15cm diameter, which makes the ball in the middle 12cm and produces nice round numbers for a lot of other features. In my part of the world we don't have acrylic tube, so I'm still working on that problem, but they have everything cheap in China, so the ball is sorted as a pair of polished steel hemispheres via Evilbay.

And bubbles being difficult to render out of water, I'm also hoping to finally make sensible use of one of those useless plasma ball things:

plasma.JPG

My 3D printer's on the fritz at the moment, so this may take a few weeks

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Zaphod

Hello Godzillaphiles. Apart from that last one (in2014) I can't see any of the photos these guys were talking about. But I'm guessing enthusiasm ran out for any actual building? I get that a lot.
I too am old enough to have wanted one for decades, and will be adding one to Thingiverse in due course, after sorting out a few design issues:

View attachment 1031591

First question: does it actually have that 'button' on the right-hand end? (because it would be a really handy way of activating a mechanism)
The one in the film doesn't appear to have one at either end, but the kit replica talked about further up this thread has one at both. And some shots of one being shown off at TOHO have one:

(That's Akira Takarada, by the way.) I'm wondering if they have more than one? Perhaps there was a hero prop for the actors to carry around and a functional one for the scene where it pops open. Or maybe they have a repro for showing off to visiting foreigners and the 'good' one locked in the glass display case:

which also looks perhaps a bit shorter, and more authentically metallic than just painted..
Second: unless someone can provide actual measurements, I'm guessing the clear tube is 6inches/15cm diameter, which makes the ball in the middle 12cm and produces nice round numbers for a lot of other features. In my part of the world we don't have acrylic tube, so I'm still working on that problem, but they have everything cheap in China, so the ball is sorted as a pair of polished steel hemispheres via Evilbay.

And bubbles being difficult to render out of water, I'm also hoping to finally make sensible use of one of those useless plasma ball things:

My 3D printer's on the fritz at the moment, so this may take a few weeks
'd say yes to the button.
I'd love one of these.

ed-209

Sr Member
Here are, I think, the photos that were on this page as well as others I've collected.
These are the original prop.
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Pic (1).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Pic (2).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Pic (3).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Pic (4).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Pic (5).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (1).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (2).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (3).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (4).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (5).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (6).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (7).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (8).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (9).JPG
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (10).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (11).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (12).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (13).jpg
Godzilla_Oxygen Destroyer-Real Prop (14).jpg

macropod80

Thanks for that ED209! Those are some great photos that I wish I'd had a few weeks ago.

That panel meter seems big to me - I've got one on order from China that's 45mm dia. (I think China's the only place that still uses them.) Tried one at 60mm and just couldn't squeeze it in. Though I'm still not satisfied with the proportions of the box it's set into. Will have to keep tweaking.
62cm total length of that replica is reassuring - mine's currently turning out right on 60cm:

prototype.JPG

Still not convinced those TOHO people aren't waving around two different ones...
Thanks again.

macropod80

Getting close to completing the static version:

assy 2.JPG

proto 1.JPG

It compares quite well to the photos further up this thread, I think. The shiny grey bits - on the left (I'm calling that the 'control box end'), and the right 'dome end' - are printed in ABS that's been acetone-vapour- dipped, giving them a nice light gunmetal kind of sheen. The other big bits are currently just PLA, which I hate because it's a bugger to sand and smooth, but my printer's still having issues with warping on the larger ABS parts.
The plasma ball comes apart and reassembles surprisingly easily (the glass globe just pops off - no desoldering required), but haven't yet found a piece of wire to extend it with. The wire up the centre of the thing is rated 20000volts, 20 Amps.

ball in ball.JPG

I only need to extend it about 10cm to get down that 25mm aluminium tube to the circuit-board inside the main body, but the electronics guys at work get nervous when I tell them about the 20kV. I can buy the correct stuff in a 100m roll for about $150, but obviously I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.
Still waiting on an actual meter from China, so have printed a dummy temporary hole-filler:

controls.JPG

Ultimate aim is to be able to have the central sphere pop open, to reveal the glowing plasma ball, and maybe some blinky/flashy LEDs around it. But first stage is finishing the static version once I get the meter and some acrylic tube.

ed-209

Sr Member
Doing a great job!!! Can't wait to see it finished.
This is a perfect companion piece that should sit next to the Gas bombs from the original King Kong. --Ed