Go-Motion ROTJ AT-ST full scratch

Re: Studio Scale ROTJ AT-ST full scratch

i'm sorry...know this is 7 months late, but better late than never
i've got the 88mm and zundapp in my hands, and am having an impossible time locating the pieces you spoke of on the legs.
it appears YOU used pt 58 (the headlight lens) for your "knee joint", but appears the pix i've seen of the real SS model use something more decorative. where are these elusive 88 and zundapp parts you spoke of? thx!

FOUND the nubbin from the 88mm, (and your flak 38 part) but isn't on all my refs (still the decorative piece substitutes for it). you mentioned an asia and euro walker...is there an american walker, or have these piece been altered lately?

Just to step in for Julien here and save him some explaining..

The Zundapp/BMW kit turned out to be a wash. I made those finds back when Julien and I were ID'ing the ROTJ, but after getting the 88mm it showed there was slight differences in the same parts, so the 88mm was the kit ILM used afterall. (The Zundapp comes with the 88mm)

Take a look at parts 59 and 60 on the 88m and see if they look familiar. The 88mm supplies all of the parts needed for the mid-legs. Unless you want to cast some copies of the Zundapp parts (1 per kit, 4 needed) you'll need to buy 4 88mm kits.

There's only two 1/24 ROTJ walkers on display at the exhibits. One has been making the rounds in Europe, and the other in Asia/South America. There was another pyro model (the one that got its head blown off) but there's no evidence that one exists anymore. It's too bad, I'd love to steal the armature from it so I don't have to keep attempting to deal with deadbeat machinists! :lol

Just to step in for Julien here and save him some explaining..

The Zundapp/BMW kit turned out to be a wash. I made those finds back when Julien and I were ID'ing the ROTJ, but after getting the 88mm it showed there was slight differences in the same parts, so the 88mm was the kit ILM used afterall. (The Zundapp comes with the 88mm)

Take a look at parts 59 and 60 on the 88m and see if they look familiar. The 88mm supplies all of the parts needed for the mid-legs. Unless you want to cast some copies of the Zundapp parts (1 per kit, 4 needed) you'll need to buy 4 88mm kits.

There's only two 1/24 ROTJ walkers on display at the exhibits. One has been making the rounds in Europe, and the other in Asia/South America. There was another pyro model (the one that got its head blown off) but there's no evidence that one exists anymore. It's too bad, I'd love to steal the armature from it so I don't have to keep attempting to deal with deadbeat machinists! :lol

i think my confusion comes from what i'm using as source material. most of it comes from the stash over at forbidden plastic. and the rest of my source matches FP. their pix show some rather different details than what Julien is putting down. thats what i was asking if their is a third walker.

thx for pointing out parts 59 & 60. i'm new to the ID'g..and still am being too literal. that little of a part plus trimming is more "distinctive characteristic" (the hook) threw me off the scent. and pardon my ignorance, but i'm still not finding in bike pieces on that leg!...lol

Yep, the pics from FP are of one of the pyro models used for the log/explosion scenes which is considerably different. It's much larger than the animated go-motion 1/24 scale models. Julien's, and mine (which I won't post here until I get an armature) are the go-motion variants. There's a huge discrepency in the details on the pyro, so much that it barely resembles the smaller 1/24 walkers.

I collected a ton of reference on these models from the exhibits, so shoot me a message and I can help you out with some ref shots here and there where needed.

i think my confusion comes from what i'm using as source material. most of it comes from the stash over at forbidden plastic. and the rest of my source matches FP. their pix show some rather different details than what Julien is putting down. thats what i was asking if their is a third walker.

thx for pointing out parts 59 & 60. i'm new to the ID'g..and still am being too literal. that little of a part plus trimming is more "distinctive characteristic" (the hook) threw me off the scent. and pardon my ignorance, but i'm still not finding in bike pieces on that leg!...lol

Hello,

Thanks Matt to have answer those questions :)

Just a quick pic to give you a better idea :

rotjatstdetaillegpart1.jpg

As Matt said, you are refering to the pyro models (which were more or less twice bigger). The pyro models have different details since ILM tried to replicate at their best the kitpart used on the TESB with some features of the smaller ROTJ one. Even if the ROTJ go motion and pyro models looks to be the same at the first look, there are huge differences in term of details, proportions and shape.

Do you guys need the top thigh part circled in red? Its from the Tamiya Semovente and Carro armato tanks, i bagged a couple a while back!

lee

Heh :)

I think the only part on the legs that's left is the circular riveted bit with a mini flat-head socket screw driven through it on the outer hip of the legs. The closest I came for that was from the Leopard (slightly too large) but I chose to scratch it. It's a good substitute though!

Leopard part:
leopard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt there a part similar to that in the 8rad guys? Its smaller than the Leopard part i think, part A17 flipped backwards has a rivet type deal going on?

lee

Yep :) That was my first guess back when I was hunting for that part, but unfortunately that one is a bit oversized as well. We never quite figured out how they did the rivets either on the scratched 312b plates. The base of each rivet looks like a disk, with a conical shape overtop of it. At such a microscopic level though, it's practically impossible to replicate unless working with a magnifier. :wacko

Isnt there a part similar to that in the 8rad guys? Its smaller than the Leopard part i think, part A17 flipped backwards has a rivet type deal going on?

lee

lee

Yeah that's the part I used on mine bro, but Matt is right it's not the good one :( I think the size is good to me, but the shape is a bit different. Anyway once you put the screw, it works well =)

Yeah those rivets of the scratched 312 parts and of the morser karl parts are a mystery ! Would like to know how they did !

Unless you want to cast some copies of the Zundapp parts (1 per kit, 4 needed) you'll need to buy 4 88mm kits.

Actually to achieve the go-motion model, you will need 5 88mm kits.

4 for the legs and one for the right front fender, the left fender doesnt have this detail (on the right) :

88mmpart1.jpg

But if you want to follow ILM's way, you'll have to cast the leg detail plates (airbubbles can be seen on the 88mm cap parts, left pic).

Actually most of the parts/part assemblies of the ILM go motion AT-ST were castings (head, the block with the 312T parts on the bottom of the alloy chassis, upper and middle leg detail plates, top of the rear chassis).

It's strange, I saw that part and immediately thought it was from the 88mm, but it's bigger in relation to the mini socket screws so to my eye the 88mm part is smaller than what's seen on the shield. The Leichters have a part that looks identical to the 88mm (try the 223, sprue B parts 7), but those are slightly overscale. Somewhere along the way, I think this part was added to a new shield... in Chronicles it's missing on the original model (Chronicles shows the Asia/S.America ST) so the shields I think at some point were replaced and this mystery part along with them. :confused

Actually to achieve the go-motion model, you will need 5 88mm kits.

4 for the legs and one for the right front fender, the left fender doesnt have this detail (on the right) :

88mmpart1.jpg

But if you want to follow ILM's way, you'll have to cast the leg detail plates (airbubbles can be seen on the 88mm cap parts, left pic).

Actually most of the parts/part assemblies of the ILM go motion AT-ST were castings (head, the block with the 312T parts on the bottom of the alloy chassis, upper and middle leg detail plates, top of the rear chassis).

That green part looks like it might be a WWII-era German license plate.

If it is, it could conceivably have come from almost any kit.

-Mike

It's strange, I saw that part and immediately thought it was from the 88mm, but it's bigger in relation to the mini socket screws so to my eye the 88mm part is smaller than what's seen on the shield. The Leichters have a part that looks identical to the 88mm (try the 223, sprue B parts 7), but those are slightly overscale. Somewhere along the way, I think this part was added to a new shield... in Chronicles it's missing on the original model (Chronicles shows the Asia/S.America ST) so the shields I think at some point were replaced and this mystery part along with them. :confused

Hey you're right Matt ! It's wider than the 88mm, that's actually the part from the Zundapp (which is smaller than the one in the 88mm !).

I dont know if it was added later but this part is present on the right shield of both the Euro and Asian/South American STs, and only on the right !

As we said some time ago, they probably did different parts to mix with the armature to do different ST because in the movie, the Euro ST has different shields (different paintjob), that's a bit confusing !

I really dont have time for modelling, hopefully I can reuse some parts I did for my plexi armature !

I had to rebuild some parts though :(

rotjatst144.jpg

rotjatst145.jpg

rotjatst146.jpg

rotjatst147.jpg

rotjatst148.jpg

I still have some work to do on it !

Hey guys,

I'm looking from 0.016" (thickness) x 0.20" (wide) brass strip, but I cant find this wide... only 1/4" :/
I looked at K&S stuff but I havent found the good stuff, any ideas ?

Thanks guys !

I'm also looking for this part :

domeunder.jpg

I guess it was probably scratchbuilt (inspired by the Lancaster turret they used on the TESB) as the "cutouts for the barrels" are not perfect.
It's about 1" wide. It's not a perfect dome unfortunaly... It looks more like the back of an egg but even not close of that... The top or since it's upside down, the bottom is a bit flat.

If you have any idea...

I looked through the plastruct website and I found some caps for tubing, unfortunaly the small drawing of the part is the same for all of the same line so it doesnt reflect the true shape of the thing (if you look at the measurements they give, some could be correct in height and diameter unfortunatly I'm not sure about the overall shape of the thing...).

Hey guys,

I'm looking from 0.016" (thickness) x 0.20" (wide) brass strip, but I cant find this wide... only 1/4" :/
I looked at K&S stuff but I havent found the good stuff, any ideas ?

Thanks guys !

I'm haveing the same problem.I found some a little wider then I needed and cut them with snips & cleaned them up with a dremel.Came out pretty good.Good luck with your search.

Dave

I'm haveing the same problem.I found some a little wider then I needed and cut them with snips & cleaned them up with a dremel.Came out pretty good.Good luck with your search.

Dave

Thanks for input Dave, actually I dont think I'm able to cut straight those strip I'm a bit scared about that :s
I dont know if they used stock brass strip or if they cut them :/

I found some 5mm wide (which is good) strip in France but unfortunatly the thickness is a bit too much 0.5mm instead of 0.4mm (0.016"). Well actually that's not an huge difference and noone would notice that but if I can get them correct that's better...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back