GI JOE 2: Retaliation: Snake Eyes Costume Info Thread

I did finally get my size small pants and jacket back from UDR. These were exchanged from a set of XS pants and jacket. Although it was not said to me, I truly believe I had a pair of the mislabeled pants from the beginning. The sizes just did not match up to what was printed on the label. Here is a quick breakdown and mini review of the suit and my experience with UDR:

The gloves and boots were a perfect fit right out of the box. I ordered per the measurements on the sizing chart and I had no issues with sizing.
A couple of things to note: each glove has several layers of labels on the inner wrist sewn in. These became very uncomfortable after a short while and I carefully cut out all but the size label. After this was done, I was able to wear the gloves for extended periods with no issue. The glove material is very accurate down to the knuckle armor which were custom molded by UDR to replicate the actual pieces. (I know because these are the exact same pieces used in my DREDD gloves). The fabric for the fingers need extra attention and care as when you put your gloves on and off, the fabric will get snagged and pulled by the Velcro wrist straps. This over time can lead to the fabric getting pulled and frayed.
The boots are very accurate as well down to the fabric pattern on the front panel. The only thing of concern is the extremely long laces that came with the boot. After I laced and tied the boot, I still had a considerable length of lace that needed to be tucked behind the panel which bulged out a bit. I will probably be getting a new pair of laces to replace these in the future.

Once I got a pair of pants that fit, they were very comfortable and look very accurate to the screen version. I was measured by a professional tailor before I ordered and I followed the instructions per the UDR website for adding an inch here and there, etc. Admittedly, I should have called David first but I was anxious to order and I had tried several times to contact him with no success. Every call would go to a voicemail box that wouldn't accept any new messages. I figured I was safe to order because I was confident about the measurements as they were taken professionally. When the original pair of pants arrived, I was shocked because as soon as I opened them, I knew they weren't going to fit. After measuring the waist across the top at 13", giving me a rough circumference of 26", I knew I was shipped the wrong size.
IMG_0601.JPG
I fully admit the measurement method I used was probably not 100% accurate, but no amount of human error could result in such a huge gap between what I ordered and what I got. I got a hold of David and explained my situation. He was very helpful but also told me I totally measured the pants wrong. I measured the pants the way he told me and I still got a circumference of 26-27", nowhere near the 34.5" it was supposed to be for an XS size. At the time, he told me that he would look at them when he got them back but I was never told they were mislabeled. I only found out on recent posts here that there were more issues like mine on the pants. I was also told that even though I was measured for an XS, the XS wouldn't have fit me because I was off by an inch on the hip measurement, so I agreed to exchange for a size S. I had to pay for the exchange and that was that.
Once I got the new size S pants, the fit was MUCH better, albeit a bit loose as these were made for a 36.5" waist and I'm 33.5". I am actually glad this happened because I tucked in the jacket to create a more accurate look and the extra room made it much easier.
The length was probably made for someone just under 6' as they were way too long for me. I was able to have the pants shortened to my length and now the fit is perfect.
I had ordered an accurate tactical rigger's belt to go with the suit complete with the metal triangle buckle on the left side. As I was threading the belt, I found that the 1.75" webbing barely fit through the belt loops. As I fully threaded the belt, I discovered the belt loops in the front would not allow for the triangle piece to fully be placed into the correct position, leaving the main Cobra buckle shifted about 1.5" to the right of center. I also had my tailor adjust this and now it's perfect and matches the screen costume. The motorcycle armor for the knees look nice. The armor for the thighs on the other hand, is just a piece of foam and didn't match the quality of the rest of the pads of the suit.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_0584.JPG
The original jacket that came was also too small. Again, David and I talked about this and concluded that I did in fact order the wrong size and we decided the correct size again was a size S. When the new jacket arrived, it still didn't fit right. My arms would not go through the sleeves. Instead of going into full panic mode, I took a deep breath and removed all the bicep and forearm armor as well as the sleeveless lining. Now I was able to put the jacket on and zip up completely. Time will tell if the jacket will relax a bit and allow me to install the armor again as I do intend to go riding with this jacket at some point. The jacket was not easy to put on but it was doable by a single person. The only point where I needed help was to attach the side Velcro strap that goes to the chest armor. It was hanging and I couldn't reach it with the limited mobility in the arms. The neck detail is noticeably different than the screen version but coupled with the balaclava under the helmet, it was a good compromise and looked the part perfectly. There is a zipper at the back of the jacket to zip onto the pants, but neither my original pair nor this pair had a corresponding zipper. One final issue I had with this suit is the immediately recognizable Arashikage symbol on the shoulder is printed at an off angle. I compared a few screenshots from the movie as well as the jacket from the UDR website and it is definitely off. I will need to see if there is a way to remove it and repaint it as I don't think this warrants another exchange.
IMG_0586.JPG

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and I tried to give a very objective review with the good, bad, and ugly. There was no ugly here. I was able to take the suit out this weekend to an event in my town and I got a lot of complements and plenty of pictures were taken. Overall a solid suit but I hope some issues get taken care of in future runs especially the belt loops. Great job David!!

Here are some pics of me before the event with the mods completed. Helmet by the talented Maulfett!
IMG_0595.JPGIMG_0596.JPG

Last edited:
I'm okay with them yesterday, they are tight as heck but I lost a little weight so that helps, lol I am sure I have medium tho, there is no way these are large.. just wish there was a way to 'officially' tell if they are wrong...

Also... I am confused as when I removed the liner from the jacket I found another zipper at the bottom of the back of the inner jacket going left to right... what is this for??

Theres nothing on the liner that would zip here.. I also dont see anything on the pants... Can anyone enlighten me? There aren't exactly instructions xD lol

As I said in my review, there is a zipper on the jacket, but none on the two pairs of pants I received from UDR.

From UDR jacket description:
"Jacket and Pants zip together at waistline (regardless of garment sizes)."

From UDR Pant description:
"Pant waist will zip to waist of jacket...all sizes can mix and match accordingly."

I originally thought I had gotten the wrong size pants when I first tried to button them. The thing was is I was trying to button them around my lower waist (where I usually wear my jeans) and it was nowhere close. I noticed there was still a lot of length on the legs so I just pulled them up so the belt line of the pants was now resting on my "natural waist" which is even to my belly button and they fit like a glove. So much so there is no way to tuck the jacket in for the full film accurate look. I'm okay with that as I like the maneuverability it allows for.
I'm loving my suit to the fullest. I still have it out where I can look at it constantly. I'm working on a Maulfett Snake Eyes Helmet kit right now to use for upcoming Cons until the official licensed version is released by UD.

Love me some Snake Eyes! In the memorable wisdom of Snake Eyes as he stated, " ................................."

Couldn't have said it better! ;)

BlackKaos
I would love to buy the Shoulders chest and arm armor but I cant find the correct thread. Can you send me a link please.

Finally got my MP7/GG&G/Gcode setup! Looks like the new offset mounts don't have the G-Code logo anynore, just the name. Any recommendations for removing the text and adding the logo? I also went with the GCA29 paddle adapter, even though it appears to be longer than the screen used one. The RTI hanger is the GCA39 which actually lines up with two of the screw holes, although the universal kit screws are slightly long. It looks to me like the hero MP7s have the hanger removed, which is reasonable 'cause its quite large.
image.jpg

Aetherdeus do you still have any tactical knives left and how much are they.also I'm getting the armor 3D printed does anyone have any pictures and how armor is attached I have a few but I'm trying to get as much information as possible. if anyone would like a 3D printing not the armor I'm paying $200 for the file but the guy said armor will be $400when I get file if you would like the file pm $20 if you want 3d armor I'll give you

Resurrecting this thread to make one compilation post:

Visual references:
http://ironheadstudio.com/portfolio/g-i-joe/
https://twitter.com/udreplicas/status/386504800726032386
http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=160
https://propstore.com/product/g-i-joe-retaliation/cobra-ninjas-rubber-sword-and-back-rig/

Identified screen-used pieces:
Boots: Oakley SI Assault 8" boots, 2013-2015 version (out of production) (requires modification)
Gloves: O'Neal Butch Carbon 2013-2015 version (out of production) (requires modification)
Pistol: FN FNX 9
SMG: H&K MP7; with GG&G offset flashlight mount + G-Code RTI holder RT39; Belt mounts are G-Code GCA29 paddle adapters
Knives: CRKT First Strike (out of production)
Belt: Pantel Tactical cobra rigger's belt

Official Replicas:
Sword: United Cutlery Snake Eyes Katana (UC2617D) - long out of production, very expensive; also plastic replicas made by Disguise, available on Amazon
Full Suit: UD Replicas - once out of license, but may be available again; Includes jacket, gloves, pants, boots; Only currently known source of accurate pants and boot covers
Helmet: Hasbro & Disguise costume pieces - inaccurate, but visors may be usable

Known replicas:
Armor: SecretCompassOnline.com (leather jacket, may restock); Maulfett (limited production); Do3D (STL for printing)
Helmet: Maulfett (limited production); ebay sometimes but may be reselling/recasts of Maulfett helmets; Do3D (STL for printing)
Chest Buckles: https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZZ4TQZJ6R/snake-eyes-buckle

Commonly used parts:

Back rig: Condor MCR3 Modular Chest Rig (requires minor modification)
Sword carrier: usually hand-made 1000D cordura
Sai: Any black hexagonal sai, can be hard to find decent foam/plastic replicas
Pistol: Blueguns replica (no known airsoft option, but Cybergun FNS-9 may be close enough)
SMG: Blueguns replica, or KWA airsoft (should have folding foregrip)

Known patterns:
Sword carrier: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9_0L_Uj_40HWXhtdGNaNHg0VUU/view?pli=1
Suit/Helmet: Ares Armory (Etsy foam pattern); Blackkaos (RPF pepakura pattern) https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=216398
Swords/knives: In progress

Feel free to remind me if there's anything I missed or anything new!

Last edited:
Hey guys I am looking for the .pep file for the snake-eyes retaliation suit. Do you know of anybody with it. I tried to reach out back to BlackKoas, but I think he is done with his files on this site.

I’m working on building Snake Eyes suit. Been getting some things together but wanted to ask if anyone knew where I could find the release buckles on the front of the suit. Have seen lots on search on google but really haven’t found any that resemble the ones on the suit. Any one have good lead ?

Resurrecting this thread to make one compilation post:

Visual references:
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Hot Toys : G.I. Joe Retaliation - Snake Eyes Collectible Figure 1/6th scale Collectible Figure
Cobra Ninjas Rubber Sword and Back Rig | Prop Store - Ultimate Movie Collectables

Identified screen-used pieces:
Boots:
Oakley SI Assault 8" boots, 2013-2015 version (out of production) (requires modification)
Gloves: O'Neal Butch Carbon 2013-2015 version (out of production) (requires modification)
Pistol: FN FNX 9
SMG: H&K MP7; with GG&G offset flashlight mount + G-Code RTI holder RT39; Belt mounts are G-Code GCA29 paddle adapters
Knives: CRKT First Strike (out of production)
Belt: Pantel Tactical cobra rigger's belt

Official Replicas:
Sword: United Cutlery Snake Eyes Katana (UC2617D) - long out of production, very expensive; also plastic replicas made by Disguise, available on Amazon
Full Suit: UD Replicas - once out of license, but may be available again; Includes jacket, gloves, pants, boots; Only currently known source of accurate pants and boot covers
Helmet: Hasbro & Disguise costume pieces - inaccurate, but visors may be usable

Known replicas:
Armor: SecretCompassOnline.com (leather jacket, may restock); Maulfett (limited production); Do3D (STL for printing)
Helmet: Maulfett (limited production); ebay sometimes but may be reselling/recasts of Maulfett helmets; Do3D (STL for printing)
Chest Buckles: Snake Eyes Buckle by Ikariya on Shapeways

Commonly used parts:
Back rig: Condor MCR3 Modular Chest Rig (requires minor modification)
Sword carrier: usually hand-made 1000D cordura
Sai: Any black hexagonal sai, can be hard to find decent foam/plastic replicas
Pistol: Blueguns replica (no known airsoft option, but Cybergun FNS-9 may be close enough)
SMG: Blueguns replica, or KWA airsoft (should have folding foregrip)

Known patterns:
Sword carrier: snake_eyes_harness.pdf
Suit/Helmet: Ares Armory (Etsy foam pattern); Blackkaos (RPF pepakura pattern) Unlimited Run - Pepakura files
Swords/knives: In progress

Feel free to remind me if there's anything I missed or anything new!
I wanted to ask you those chest buckles from Shapeways are they exact replicas?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back