GI JOE 2: Retaliation: Snake Eyes Costume Info Thread

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Rusty85, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Just thought I'd start a thread on Snake Eye's new costume for GI JOE 2. I know a lot of people from the first one weren't big fans but I liked it. Anyway, it looks like they did a drastic overhaul of his outfit, and I'm gonna say I'm glad because this looks like it might be easier to replicate than his first one.

Looks like he has a body suit with a bunch of armor attached along with the same pants and boots from the first movie. His sword has been changed as well to a black blade with a tan handle wrap.

Here's some screen-shots..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fett80

Fett80 Active Member

They realy nailed him this time.:cool

3. oculus1857

oculus1857 Well-Known Member

I approve of this post. Good luck to you sir and I hope for the best in your quest to make this happen.

I would suggest getting a rivet gun. Other than that I got nothin :unsure

4. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Yes they did. :D

5. Maulfett

Maulfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This costume is easier than the first one, I'm a fan of snake eyes i made the first costume and now i'm already working with the second suit but i will take my time....i need more info

6. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Same here, hopefully we get some good promotional pictures like they gave of him from the first movie. Too hard to make out anything for sure.

7. Allfate

Allfate Active Member

I'm so glad they took away the lips... Why does a character that doesn't even speak need lips??? Anyone? ;) I love this new version of his costume!! I just last night started collecting screen caps from the trailer for this exact reason. You got great shots Rusty85.

8. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Here's a great shot of his new costume courtesy of the prequel comic. I wonder when it comes out?
    [​IMG]

9. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

His new costume really caught my eye when I watched the trailer! I agree with the removal of the lips haha!

On the lookout for more photos of the new outfit :D

10. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That brief glimpse of the CC in his 'classic' outfit caught my eye. I'm waiting for someone to build that.

Heck, I might start it myself when there are more images available!:lol

11. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Anyone notice he's got a Sai on his back in one of the screen shots? Pretty cool!

12. Azurial

Azurial Well-Known Member

it could just be me, but does any one else see the similarity to the Shinobi video game here?

13. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Yes when?:love

14. Bonded Hawk

Bonded Hawk Well-Known Member

Definitely better than the last movie; but it just seems strange to me the amount of armor on the upper body and no armor I can see on the lower half.

15. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! I love the new look of snake eyes. It's definitely better then the last movie. The helmet is what sets it off with the armor pieces.

16. 3jack

3jack Well-Known Member

YES!!! The real Snake Eyes is back, that's how I remember him, without the stupid lips.

17. Gee2

Gee2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I plan on having this costume ready for the premiere as well, very excited about the new look.
    Just my initial thoughts with the limited resource we have so far...

The shirt / collar seem to be easy enough; maybe a stretch fabric with some leather piping so the rivets on the armor plates don't pull through the fabric.
    The armor looks to be a similar version of what the rest of the JOEs are wearing on their tac-vests, so definitely custom stuff.
    The helmet has me stumped though. Is it me or does the helmet seem to have the face portion a different material in some shots but not in others? The close ups look (to me) sorta like fabric, but in the far away shots it looks too smooth and uniform to be fabric? I could understand why the use of fabric (so RP can breath easier) but I'm not sure.

Or am I seeing something that's not there?...

18. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

It does look like its fabric in that close up shot, but in the one from above him it looks like his helmet's made of the same thing as his armor. Tricky business, hopefully we get some better pics soon.

19. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah that's totally a fabric panel over the mouth area.

You can even see the holes in the face plate under the fabric in that first shot.

[​IMG]

also here-
    [​IMG]

Here a good cap that shows of the under suit a little-
    [​IMG]

20. Nataku

Nataku Sr Member

I'm just surprised they made a sequel.

21. Ghadrack

Ghadrack Sr Member

The ad makes it look way better than the first one. I'll go check this out in theatres. I totally approve of the sex change for "quick-kick" as well if that's what I'm looking at :)

22. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Nice caps Nick! Looks like you're right about the material. I hope they release the sword, I love the black look to it!

23. Chucko

Chucko Member

That's Jinx

24. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

I like the new mask, but I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of the costume. First things first...

CLOSE, BUT NO BANDOLIER/BALDRIC! :thumbsdown

I mean, seriously, why is it that he wore a baldric in the last movie, but not in this one? That's one of the signature things fans want to see in the design of his costume, ever since that showed up on the Version 2 costume back in the day!

But my biggest problems with the ninja costuming in this one are...
    1. Storm Shadow's still wearing that same crappy leather trenchcoat thing from the last film! When are they gonna wise up and just stick the man in a traditional shinobifuku, where he belongs? :confused
    2. Why, oh why, is Snake-Eyes' "sidekick" (and who is that, anyway? Kamakura? Jinx in a really poor choice of outfit?) during the cliff face battle with the red ninjas wearing BRIGHT YELLOW? :confused Save that crap for the Narutards, that sorta thing would get a REAL ninja KILLED! :thumbsdown

25. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

26. Chucko

Chucko Member

I interested to see what they do with firefly

27. BlackKaos

I hate to hijack this thread, per-say but when I saw the new trailer pics of snake eyes I immediately started working on the helmet pep file and just got finished. I will probably model the whole suit before it's said and done.

valatar likes this.
  28. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Any pics?

29. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

He's in the trailer, played by Ray Stevenson (Rome, Punisher: War Zone, Thor). You can see him unmasked, hanging out with Cobra Commander & "President Zartan", & there's an extremely brief clip of him, mask on, getting hit in a fight. The look of his costume reminds me more of Firefly in G.I.*Joe: Renegades than the classic look for the character, with a big overcoat. I'll reserve my final judgment for when we've seen more footage of him, but so far, I'm not a fan of him running around unmasked. Much like Snake-Eyes, Beach Head, Cobra Commander, Destro, Judge Dredd, Boba Fett, and Master Chief John 117, the character's mask (or helmet, as the case may be) pretty much IS his face. We don't need to see him without it, In My Opinion.

30. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yay, they made the suit more like my snake eyes suit. Ray Park and I talked about him trying out for the role when he first saw my version of snake eyes at dragoncon. I didn't even know a GI Joe movie was coming out at that point. He loved my suit... after the movie came out, he said he hated his, except for the boots, and he wanted it more like mine. I think he just got a lot better! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Pretty cool costume! What did you use for your visor?

32. BlackKaos

Rusty85 - Yeah the pics are on my thread in the junkyart at Pepakura files ***New Helmets files added*** They are on the last page.

33. mothmonty

mothmonty Well-Known Member

Much prefer this suit to the first movie suit. It seems more tactical like TDK batman suit. Black on black makes it tough to see good detail. Snake Eyes Rocks, good luck with the build

34. nick daring

And in case you forgot how weird the first one was.

[​IMG]

The new visor is such a massive improvement. THe first one looked like weird 80's sunglasses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Gee2

So for sake of organizing costume info;

-Boots: They look to be different from those used in GI JOE ROC. If I'm not mistaken weren't the ones used in ROC, Oakley SI assaults? The new ones look (at least from the screen caps) like a hiking boot.

-Shirt: Form fitting w/ leather piping for rivets and some sort of "scale" under the arms.

-Pants: Look to be the same black BDU type used in ROC, but with stirrups added (don't know if this is just for the zip-line scene or not).

-Sword: Looks to be the same design as the ROC, minus the serrating but w/ a wood grip and blackened blade. Plus the clan symbol is moved down from the blade to the Habaki. The Saya looks to be different as well (matching the sword furniture changes?).

-Mask: Some type of urethane? Maybe using a fabric face, maybe not? The visor is totally different (i.e. BETTER)

-Armor: Something new, possibly a mix of the other JOEs armor pieces from the tac vests along with some original upper arm/forearm and back pieces, riveted to the shirt.

-Gear: Where to begin...

36. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Nice work Dash! I wonder if there will be many found pieces aside from the pants and boots...

I'll start checking around to see if I can find any info on the boots.

37. Maulfett

38. Gee2

Not sure about that; for the piping to work, it would have to be laid out to match the armor/rivets pieces exactly. It's possible they used something like that for the base and then added the piping?

39. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

At this time, I'd like to point out just where the first movie's suit design came from. Once you see the source material, the suit makes sense.

That suit's design was copied almost 100% from the paintings David Michael Beck did for Devil's Due Publishing about a decade ago:

[​IMG]

And during the opening action scene, the first time we see him in action, he's wearing an ammo pouch harness taken directly from Devil's Due's Snake-Eyes costume design for their modernized reboot G.I.*Joe Reloaded:

[​IMG]

To be honest, I think they changed the costume a little TOO much for the new movie. I'm disappointed that they've eliminated the bandolier/baldric across the chest, as that's a signature look for Snake-Eyes. :unsure

40. nick daring

Wow, they really did knock off David Beck's design verbatum! Even quirky muscle stuff was copied. Hope he got paid for that.

I just don't like the rubber suit look to it (I'm normally a a rubber suit fan, too!). Looks weird and restrictive especially when combined with regular pants. I wish they'd tuck the pants into some cool looking boots.

Wonky armpit wrinkles-
    [​IMG]

Nick

41. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Anyone got any good pics of how the rubber is on his arms? I originally thought that suit covered his entire arms and body but noticed that it looks like it only covered the outside of his arms and a little bit of the inside.

42. Deelite

Deelite Active Member

Looking forward to everyone's input.

43. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ray Park hated the first suit. He couldn't move in it, and he felt his performance suffered from it. I believe he's the driving factor in the suit change, but I could be wrong. I made my visor from stainless strips and black aluminum mesh. Welding the sucker was a pain in the neck!

44. Maulfett

Here is my first costume 7 months ago with Larry Hama, i just bought a new body upper chest suit few weeks ago to make a update but i have not the time for it.

45. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

The first visor is just a clear sheet with stripes on it...very blah. It should be layered like venetian blinds, or have a series of slits, or whatever, to give it that medieval knight vibe.

As for the rubber suit, yes they copied that painting...and I think it's a lousy painting, so there you go. If they'd done a head to toe copy of the Reloaded cover above, that would have been a better choice imo.

46. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Pretty cool suit! What's the new suit look like?

47. Maulfett

It is almost the same like my old Snake eyes costume (photo above) but it covers more my complete upper body like a shirt with long sleve, so i will cut the area exactly like the SE from rise of the cobra movie.

48. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Really?

I don't EVER remember him wearing pads and a motorcycle helmet. :confused

I think it looked more like the comic last time.

He should be wearing ninja boots. his outfit should be cloth and his visor should be attatched to his face not floating out there.

I love Ray Park. I've been lucky to hang out with him several times. I remember when he first got the part I was SOO excited!!! :cool

I just don't like this at all. He looks like a mix of tron and well... he just looks like a motorcycle rider more than a ninja.

I think the fan suit that is on this page is WAAAY better than either movie.

49. Gee2

50. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Nice finds man! I've been looking for something close but so far nada! Maybe some good behind the scenes shots will come out soon :love