Ghostsoldier's Snape Build v.1 (Pic intensive!)

I have been very impressed with all the information on this forum. I really love all the detailed photos. Especially the ones with the sizing reference.

I have a question I could not find the answer to in all these post. So I registered so I could ask.

How big is everyone making the sleeve hole for the robe? I was drafting a pattern for my boyfriends young professor snape costume and we can't find any photos of what the sleeve set up looks like from the side or under the arm joint.

Hi Rob,

It's been a while! My Prof Snape outfit is starting to show it's age and we were already considering redoing at least the cassock, and low and behold what happened to be at the HP Celebration this past weekend? And without the costume police. I took probably 50 pictures, but here are some of the highlights:

I used a 2-3/32" x 3.375" card as reference. I pulled PNG files into AutoCAD, scaled the images and came up with the following:
View attachment 435156
The 12 buttons down the front are almost exactly 0.75"

View attachment 435157
The collar is 2-1/2" tall.

View attachment 435158
The "lapel" on the cape 2-3/8" wide.

View attachment 435159
The seam where the front and rear yolk meet is 3-3/8" wide.

Other observations:
View attachment 435160
This is the "bat wing" sleeve on the cape which does reach the floor and it's seamed up the back. Silly me - I made the "wings" in one piece.:$

View attachment 435161
This is a close up of the double stitching on the upper part of the "lapel".

View attachment 435162
Here's the rear yolk and the gathering of the cape body.

View attachment 435163
A close up showing what looks like hand stitching at the top of each gather - may be it's pleated?

View attachment 435164
The pants leg is bunched up (I noticed this in the movie also). Also, where the cuff meets the shoe, it is actually slightly pointed. I may have a better picture of that.

View attachment 435165
This shows the ascot material and the cassock really is dark dark indigo midnight blue - not black.

I wanted to lift the cape to get a look at the "tails" of the cassock for width and seaming details, but I also didn't want to get tossed out of the park!

And my other Prof Snape related costume can be seen here: It does share the same wig!

ATL

Hello!
I write you from Spain. I feel my English level is very basic.
On 3 December I wish to attend the Pottercon with Professor Snape characterized BCN. I need the sewing patterns or more photos of the original costume. Thank you very much for your help.
Greetings: Llotja

I realise I'm many years late to the party, but I've just started rereading HP with my 8 year-old son and my crush on Snape has been completely rekindled. I may never actually do it, but I must at least mentally create a perfect replica of Alan's costume, so I'm binging on all information I can find. This thread has been heaven -- kudos to all contributors! -- and I'd like to share a little tidbit of information I stumbled upon. In The Cutter's Practical Guide To Cutting Every Kind Of Garment Made By Tailors, Part II I found this diagram of a fittingly named "Clerical Frock Coat":

1582392832099.png

In the illustration, the collar and sleeve cuffs are slightly different (collar variations are mentioned, though), and the skirt doesn't have any pockets, but everything else seems to match almost perfectly, from the length of the skirt (reaching to the bend of the knee) to its backwards moved side seam and the double vents-or-whatever-they-are in the back (although I do feel Alan's version has a lot more material there). The description on pages 36-37 mentions adjustments to the arm scye so as to allow maximum range of arm movement with as little as possible "lift" or distortion, which seems a fitting adjustment for a wand-wielding wizard as well. Snape's costume has double the number of buttons at the front and sleeve closures, but otherwise is just as austere and fits the theme to a t.

Last edited:
This is basically the pattern I used for my Snape frock coat. You are right about the pockets. I don't have any on my Snape costume (just sewed on the flaps). The sleeve vents are very deep but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as they are just deeper versions of what you would have anyway. However, if you wanted an exact copy of the costume that back side seam that goes from the waist to the armscey would have to be moved from so that it met the shoulder seam instead. I didn't bother modifying the pattern as most people wouldn't even know it.

This is basically the pattern I used for my Snape frock coat. You are right about the pockets. I don't have any on my Snape costume (just sewed on the flaps). The sleeve vents are very deep but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as they are just deeper versions of what you would have anyway. However, if you wanted an exact copy of the costume that back side seam that goes from the waist to the armscey would have to be moved from so that it met the shoulder seam instead. I didn't bother modifying the pattern as most people wouldn't even know it.

Good to know I'm on the right track! :D

Ah, I didn't know that about the side back seam, thanks! Sounds a bit unusual, especially for historically inspired (or even modern) men's wear, but they must have had their reasons. I think I can live with this deviation, though.

If I ever end up making this, I'll probably go with functional pockets, just because I'm a sucker (read: OCD) for functional details -- I made my husband an unintentionally (or perhaps not that unintentionally , who knows? ;) ) "Snape-y" overcoat (slim-fitting, black, and knee-length with a centre front closure) years ago and the welt pockets with flaps didn't give me any problems. The buttonholes did, though ... I obviously will need to get over my irrational fear for buttonholes :rolleyes:

Do you happen to know what's the final verdict on the back pleats/vents/tails, by the way? Are the side back pieces full tails, or partial vents? I've looked at so many clips and stills, but I still can't quite wrap my head around them.

Last edited:
Hi Rob,

It's been a while! My Prof Snape outfit is starting to show it's age and we were already considering redoing at least the cassock, and low and behold what happened to be at the HP Celebration this past weekend? And without the costume police. I took probably 50 pictures, but here are some of the highlights:

I used a 2-3/32" x 3.375" card as reference. I pulled PNG files into AutoCAD, scaled the images and came up with the following:
View attachment 435156
The 12 buttons down the front are almost exactly 0.75"

View attachment 435157
The collar is 2-1/2" tall.

View attachment 435158
The "lapel" on the cape 2-3/8" wide.

View attachment 435159
The seam where the front and rear yolk meet is 3-3/8" wide.

Other observations:
View attachment 435160
This is the "bat wing" sleeve on the cape which does reach the floor and it's seamed up the back. Silly me - I made the "wings" in one piece.:$

View attachment 435161
This is a close up of the double stitching on the upper part of the "lapel".

View attachment 435162
Here's the rear yolk and the gathering of the cape body.

View attachment 435163
A close up showing what looks like hand stitching at the top of each gather - may be it's pleated?

View attachment 435164
The pants leg is bunched up (I noticed this in the movie also). Also, where the cuff meets the shoe, it is actually slightly pointed. I may have a better picture of that.

View attachment 435165
This shows the ascot material and the cassock really is dark dark indigo midnight blue - not black.

I wanted to lift the cape to get a look at the "tails" of the cassock for width and seaming details, but I also didn't want to get tossed out of the park!

And my other Prof Snape related costume can be seen here: It does share the same wig!

ATL
Hi there. Long time since I contributed but I recently found some material in a shop and I thought I had seen it somewhere before. I checked this thread and realised that it was the same thing as the fabric used in on Snape's cloak. So I bought the fabric and have started making a few test pieces. Here is a cartridge pleating test piece I have done.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 95
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back