GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

I am really curious to see what the movie´s really going to be about and how the character arcs are going to develop. Will it hold up to the quality of the original? Or is it just a really cheap copy?! Or are those elements really new interpretations? I am tempted to watch it in a movie theater on opening day. Damn, all that negative internet ooze may have an effect on me after all ...

Right. Honestly, with the exception of Bill Murray, nobody involved has had a fantastic track record. Harold did...what, Year One? Whatever that awful caveman flick was. Ivan did Evolution, which was supposedly a "spiritual successor" to Ghostbusters. Dan I have no idea about.
Yeah, GB was very much a "lightning in a bottle" success. They've all had their terrible movies-- My Super Ex-Girlfriend, Club Paradise, Blue Brothers 2000. Nothing But Trouble gets universally hated on, but I've always enjoyed it as an oddball movie. None of the GB primaries had a King Midas touch, but they were definitely capable of some fun stuff.

I am really curious to see what the movie´s really going to be about and how the character arcs are going to develop. Will it hold up to the quality of the original? Or is it just a really cheap copy?! Or are those elements really new interpretations? I am tempted to watch it in a movie theater on opening day. Damn, all that negative internet ooze may have an effect on me after all ...
The chances of the Feig movie holding up to the original are low. Even they know it. Like I said above, the original was lightning in a bottle. The perfect storm.

My prediction-- the reboot will be a fun and enjoyable popcorn movie. Ultimately forgettable, but a fun way to spend a Friday night. The movie wasn't designed to replace the legacy of the original... just to sell some tickets/merch and show movie goers a fun two hours. It'll probably inspire the creativity of some youngsters-- cause some kids to get interested in filmmaking or science. Unless the stars align, I don't see it having the impact of the original.

Last edited:
westies......wake me when the fever dream is over.

I think they just heard my groan from about 50 states away.
STay puft doesn't look like a balloon..it looks like a cartoon drawing come to life!

Last edited by a moderator:

STay puft doesn't look like a balloon..it looks like a cartoon drawing come to life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simxjM1l4VE

This isnt real is it? The horrible stay puft thing? And how they start the trailer off, how the HELL is this an UPGRADE?!?! She blasts him in the groin too. I...dont have words...:facepalm

Theres a shock, the female ghostbuster goes for the nut shot. Well at least they are no stereotyping...... oh wait.

And what is the point in having Stay Puft AND a melty looking mr whippy headed ghost. The cool whip wraith? Or Ghoul Whip..... oh I cant even get angry about it anymore. I will just stay clear of it. Its not grtting a penny of my money.

Last edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simxjM1l4VE

I think that's one of my big problems (and I've a few,trust me) is it looks like a cheap Sat morning cartoon for the most part.

And she shoots him in the nads? oh yea.......hilarious :facepalm

My prediction-- the reboot will be a fun and enjoyable popcorn movie. Ultimately forgettable, but a fun way to spend a Friday night. The movie wasn't designed to replace the legacy of the original... just to sell some tickets/merch and show movie goers a fun two hours. It'll probably inspire the creativity of some youngsters-- cause some kids to get interested in filmmaking or science. Unless the stars align, I don't see it having the impact of the original.

You IMO just wrote THE single-best compilation of everything that many people more or less subconsciously think is inappropriate to do with such a beloved movie franchise.

The Ghostbusters originals have not been treated with respect, and that is what angers people. It´s not women or flashy ghosts. It´s the disrespect on so many levels that IRRITATES people. People do not like that. Marvel is experiencing that with Captain America right now. DC Comics is rebooting their universe again, Superman being sick and probably dying. People are irritated by stuff like that. People like continuity. Especially in times like ours. It´s movie theory and history 101, Siegried Kracauer mentioned this first in 1947 in his "Theory of film". And Hitchcock said "Don´t mess with the audience", of course referring to a movie plot itself but it can IMO be transposed onto a franchise, too.

Ghostbusters was inspiring. I am not sure that a planned (!) popcorn movie has the energy to inspire people to do anything. But we are sitting at a watering hole for movie buffs, I am really curious what we are going to see happen here on the RPF after the movie has hit theaters.

You IMO just wrote THE single-best compilation of everything that many people more or less subconsciously think is inappropriate to do with such a beloved movie franchise.
A beloved franchise that originated as nothing more than a fun popcorn movie? GB was never meant to be a classic pop culture phenomenon. You can't plan for that kind of thing. It's a fun movie, which is apparently what they're aiming for with the reboot.

IMHO, if anything, Feig is being TOO respectful to the original. I kinda wish he would have taken the concept back to it's roots-- focusing on one of the many groups of bored, underpaid ghost janitors.

Ghostbusters was inspiring. I am not sure that a planned (!) popcorn movie has the energy to inspire people to do anything. But we are sitting at a watering hole for movie buffs, I am really curious what we are going to see happen here on the RPF after the movie has hit theaters.

lots more face palming for those who dare to sit through the entire project that even Dr.Forrestor wouldn't subject people too.

if it does have the energy to inspire people, it's only because people have been dumbed down SO MUCH with lowest common denominator stuff, that it's colorful enough to re awaken what brain cells they have left, and any of that will be because of dan and ivan's influence, not paul feig having a character get shot in the ghost nads.

but entertainment today?

I remember tuning in to the simpsons, family guy crossover just out of curiosity. there was a scene of homer and peter washing a car 'provocatively' and all I could think of was 'this is what my former favorite cartoon has degraded into? no more great episodes like the tell tale head with character development? just cheap shock value that people will forget after about 20 minutes? no wonder i hadn't watched an episode since about season 13....and i had to force myself to stick around that long out of loyalty hoping it'd get better..

no one will care enough to be inspired.

a 15 second shot detailing the movie ghost plot.

i'ma just gonna cry in the corner here. wake me in 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
no one will care enough to be inspired.
Man, we could have some good debates if you would grow a thicker skin and stop ignoring my posts. :cool

If the Fred Wolf TMNT series can inspire kids to follow animation or illustration as a career path, I don't see it being too far fetched for GB16 to inspire kids to get an interest in science or filmmaking. Hell, I was inspired just as much by GB2 as I was GB1 to follow my passion for the nuts and bolts of the creative process behind filmmaking.

The initial trailer seems to be about accurate in portraying how plain ol' bad the movie is. None of the newer trailers or TV spots have done anything to change my perception. Still voting "pass" on this one.

You all sound like me AFTER I saw Alien 3, :lol

Me before the movie: :popcorn

Me after movie: :cry:facepalm:angry:cry:sick

suicide.gif

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back