GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Considering McCarthy's last movie where she was super rich didn't do well I'd like to see how this one does, maybe we'll be lucky and she'll be box office poison like Adam Sandler.

The thing is, Adam Sandler is not, as I understand it "box office poison." His movies make money, which is why he still gets to make movies at all. He's not as popular as he once was, and he's critically reviled, but his movies still make money.

McCarthy, I expect, is the same way. Her movies make money, even if they aren't well received. And it's mostly about the budgets involved.

Look at it this way: Roger Corman was HUGELY successful as a filmmaker. ROGER CORMAN. If you've ever seen a Corman film, you know what I'm talking about, but the bottom line is that his films are CRAP. Cheesy, campy, cheaply produced crap.

But that's just it: they're cheaply produced. His movies were pure profit machines because it was all about the budgets. He knew that he could sell his stuff to audiences and even if they thought the films were terrible, enough people would go that he'd make money on his films. Why? Because they were so cheap to make. If McCarthy's films are cheap enough to make, and she's turning profits for people, NOBODY CARES that she's not funny or her films were critically lambasted. Same with Sandler, Michael Bay, and anyone else you care to list. If a film makes money, it's a success. Maybe by varying degrees, but it's still a success. And if you're successful, you get to keep making movies, even if your movies suck.

I think the last sandler movie I liked was Click. after that, not so much.

Anyone have any idea how the toys are selling? Paid a visit to the local TRU just to see what was out there...and didn't spot them at all.
I would hope people would stay away from the reboot merchandise too..

Dude.

It's just toys.

Who cares if they sell well or sell like crap?

And that's my point. It was critically panned...but it made money. Even if it's only a small audience, as long as it turns a profit, nobody cares if it's utter dreck. McCarthy MIGHT care, in the fears that she could end up having a harder time finding additional work when audiences eventually grow bored with her, but she can always pivot her career after that into something like straight drama.

A friend of mine just posted this on facebook:

I'd hate to blow the super complex minds of the people who have given me view-expanding lectures of late, but it's actually possible to believe in the importance of equality for women in society, politics and media while simultaneously thinking that the Ghostbusters trailer looks like a major piece of ****. Let me know if you need me to slow it down.

Perfectly said.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine just posted this on facebook:

I'd hate to blow the super complex minds of the people who have given me view-expanding lectures of late, but it's actually possible to believe in the importance of equality for women in society, politics and media while simultaneously thinking that the Ghostbusters trailer looks like a major piece of ****. Let me know if you need me to slow it down.

Perfectly said.

it's just sad that we've been talking more about forbidden thread issues than G-D ghostbusting in other areas of the net.
it's gotten to the point where I no longer feel the need to interact with the rest of society. (hey, stop that cheering. STOP IT I SAY! ;o))

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there wasn't supposed to be any social commentary. My opinions get deleted but there are a ton of posts on here that would fall in the same category. The bias is real.

Source?

I ask, because when I look, the only thing I can find is 73mil worldwide gross, with 29mil production budget, and no listing of marketing or distribution budget.

If it made a profit when all was said and done, then it BARELY made one.None. NOT a success story by any stretch.

it took 'em two months and nearly one million down votes, but looks like we might get another trailer on 5/20 according to the interwebs. this might be theater only. if it is, it's probably to avoid comments ;o).

it can't get any worse, can it? ;o) how much do you want to bet they'll include ONE cameo?

it took 'em two months and nearly one million down votes, but looks like we might get another trailer on 5/20 according to the interwebs. this might be theater only. if it is, it's probably to avoid comments ;o).

it can't get any worse, can it? ;o) how much do you want to bet they'll include ONE cameo?

Trust me, it can always get worse, and usually does as well. :p

It's worse....

i just saw saw a large chunk of the new trailer on good morning America cause Al Roker is in the trailer.

there is a part where Leslie jones is in the concert crowd with a 15 foot tall green dragon resting on her shoulders... Concert goers lean in and do a selfie photo-bomb with said dragon that she's pretending she doesn't know is there.

my childhood hurts in my posterior area... And I taste vomit...

It's worse....

i just saw saw a large chunk of the new trailer on good morning America cause Al Roker is in the trailer.

there is a part where Leslie jones is in the concert crowd with a 15 foot tall green dragon resting on her shoulders... Concert goers lean in and do a selfie photo-bomb with said dragon that she's pretending she doesn't know is there.

my childhood hurts in my posterior area... And I taste vomit...

can't believe it premiered early.. any links? I wanna improve my rifftrax writing skills..

I think i'm getting worn down with depression. I didn't think that trailer was nearly as bad as the first two, but still bad.

someone revive me, quick before I go into a coma.

Woooooooow. Just.....wooooooow. It sounds like it was written by 8 year olds with no concept of comedy. It actually has a negative laugh factor. And, the visual style....ugh. Looks like Spencers at Halloween. God awful. Back to Hell, demon. Back to Hell.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back