Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

Well I've been keeping up with this while I was off messing with getting some new net service and I have to say this:

I could care less about the all gal team.

I DO care that it's all new~that is....well I can't say it here,I'd at least want Ray to show up and pass the torch or something,new alternate reality? howza about ya kiss my curvy asian butt???

And last face it the first movie was best,I've been trying to forget the second one happened since 1989....

I'll watch it but maybe only when it hits the $5 bin at Walmart.

I just don't get what their going for here. Let me just get this out of the way since it seems like a hot topic- I really don't give a crap what gender the cast is. I personally would've thought it would've been cooler if it was mixed but whatever, I'm not making it. Paul Feig says this is it's own movie, nothing to do with the original, yet everything I see is reminiscent of the original. The car, the uniforms, the packs, hell, even the color of the cast is the same. If you want your own movie then why are you stealing the look of the original and just changing it enough to call it your own?
I don't know, this bothers me. Like the design of the new proton pack, it just seems lazy.

I just don't get what their going for here. Let me just get this out of the way since it seems like a hot topic- I really don't give a crap what gender the cast is. I personally would've thought it would've been cooler if it was mixed but whatever, I'm not making it. Paul Feig says this is it's own movie, nothing to do with the original, yet everything I see is reminiscent of the original. The car, the uniforms, the packs, hell, even the color of the cast is the same. If you want your own movie then why are you stealing the look of the original and just changing it enough to call it your own?
I don't know, this bothers me. Like the design of the new proton pack, it just seems lazy.

Good way to put it,I just don't GET the idea behind this,almost reminds me how Bay came out and said he wasn't a Transformers fan but he's gonna make a movie about them? dude,what?

Good Lord even if we just had Janine left and she put these gals together it would be much better of a story.

11168145_10152892834726174_5558205310790208262_n.jpg

almost reminds me how Bay came out and said he wasn't a Transformers fan but he's gonna make a movie about them? dude,what?

I can almost see Feig sitting there Saying "Big sigh. Fine, I'll make your stupid movie but only if I get to use an all girl cast".

Really this reminds me of "internet rule 63" i.e. every character out there has a gender-swapped version,Feig seems to have taken that to heart to make his "own" version and mixed in not only the movie but some of the cartoon too.

So it's nether fish nor fowl and I'm almost ready to take bets on when we'll get people saying "hey I seen this way back in the movie/cartoon....."

I can almost see Feig sitting there Saying "Big sigh. Fine, I'll make your stupid movie but only if I get to use an all girl cast".

that's EXACTLY what he did. The ONLY way he was interested in doing ghostbusters, was if he could use ALL WOMEN. that's the ONLY reason we are getting even THIS.
the idiots at sony couldn't make it work. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT no one wanted to touch ghostbusters 3...that's just an excuse. but with so many rights holders, it was probably impossible to get them to agree on anything. especially bill.

so, sony basically went over their head. Ivan backed out. Ernie hates it. Bill could care less so long as he's not in it. Dan is such a cheer leader, he's probably the only one TRYING to make it work....or at least make it not suck more. but even HE still wants a real GB 3. he just won't give it up.

that's the whole reason people in the know hate this idea. 1)It's a reboot. and 2) it came together so unnaturally, the chances of it working and being even 50% funny are not good.
but, it'll probably be a hit, just like that horrendous turtles movie with groot as April. and it'll probably get at least one sequel. problem is, will the brand survive?

If feig says 'that's it, done'.....who else NOW is going to take up the brand after all this crap storm?

Last edited:
Nimoy blessed JJ Trek and that didn't help TOS purists.

Does Murray get a buck from this film? Does he hold any rights or anything?

I...
There actually ARE people saying that women can't star in movies (which is baffling, since last time I checked, it's not 1940..it actually HAS been done now. Many times, in spite of the trolls insistence that Paul Feig invented putting women in films)....

Yeah, I too can´t see a problem with women being the stars. Strangely enough the "star system" in the hollywood system was invented to create stars, and it worked especially well with women. The late 1960ies and early 1970ies was the time when things changed and a different type of "star" was needed to generate revenue. Since the 1980ies we again had female stars and strong leads. Probably not from a feminist pov, but we are talking about movies and the industry. The stereotypes that we can expect from the movie IMO won´t do anything for the role of women in society, but to say that women are box office poison if they are the leads is IMO total b.s.
That does not make the all female cast and gender switching less gimmick-y, though. If it´s got a strong story and the women give a strong performance and the spirit of the original can be transposed into the present, then we will get a good movie. Essentially the pinpoints for all remakes/reboots.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=39324

as much as I hate linking this site, this is a very well written post. it shows the lack of respect and lack of vision on sony's side and paul feig. the fact that he didn't even want reitman around shows a 'I can do it better' attitude, even though he didn't even want to do it at all. it's just sad to see how it all went down and how they eventually wore them out enough to get it to move forward.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=39324

as much as I hate linking this site, this is a very well written post. it shows the lack of respect and lack of vision on sony's side and paul feig. the fact that he didn't even want reitman around shows a 'I can do it better' attitude, even though he didn't even want to do it at all. it's just sad to see how it all went down and how they eventually wore them out enough to get it to move forward.

I think it should noted that creators are not always the best contributors, writers or even show runners to their own franchises. I've mentioned Gene Roddenberry so many times on this site that I'm likely to get hit with a "spam" warning if I talk about the issues he brought on Star Trek and it's subsequent series. Even creators I have a lot of respect for like Joss Whedon have made couple of bad calls for for their works. Despite liking Age of Ultron, he really let me down in some very important areas and what's worse is that he's completely fine with it. I instnatly went from "I hope he never leaves Marvel" to "...Well, I wouldn't mind someone with a different viewpoint."

I have a lot of respect towards Ivan Reitman and am immensely grateful for the works he has given us, but he really hasn't made a movie recently that I would call good. And he's not the only guy still around who's not taking part of a franchise that they've helped create. George Lucas isn't part of the new Star Wars, James Cameron isn't part of the new Terminator movies, and Rick Berman sure as fudge isn't part of any new Star Trek material. Not having the creators involved does not mean it's going to automatically suck.

lol, what?

This is the dictionary definition of a non sequitur.

Bill Murray created Ghostbusters along side the rest of them. He thinks it's a good idea to reboot with all women and suggested the actresses. George Lucas created the original Star Wars trilogy. He created Jar Jar Binks for the prequels, universally reviled.

I think you really need to look up the definition of 'non sequitor' fella.

Bill Murray created Ghostbusters along side the rest of them. He thinks it's a good idea to reboot with all women and suggested the actresses. George Lucas created the original Star Wars trilogy. He created Jar Jar Binks for the prequels, universally reviled.

I think you really need to look up the definition of 'non sequitor' fella.

Lol.

You guys are so bad at forming arguments.

I think you really need to put everything in the context of the conversation, fella.

Neil said that Bill could "care less," about the new movie.

How is this so? Bill was more enthusiastic about the women leading the reboot than he ever was about doing a third film. I don't necessarily think his off hand comment was actually the catalyst for the whole idea; but he certainly was one of the first to comment publicly on it. He definitely did not divorce himself from the concept in the video above.

Your analogy to Jar Jar Binks has absolutely NO RELEVANCE to the counterpoint I was making to Neil's post.

Numerous people cited that because Bill is okay with it, it must be okay and a good adaption. Sorry, didn't realize you couldn't follow conversations.

Then reply to those "numerous other people," and quote them instead.

I don't hold you accountable for other people's comments. I'm likewise not accountable for "numerous other people."

Bill said nice things about Dan's Ghostbusters ideas and efforts along the way as well - while refusing to have any part of them and feeling the were unnecessary or misguided. He's a gracious guy towards friends and collaborators in public. He likes everyone involved and probably hasn't had enough interest in the script to even read it. I wouldn't go dragging him into the argument to support either side - he's one of the few interested parties who's been principled enough not to bother with any of the above.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back